Southern Charm Kitchen

Serves meat, veg options available. Large southern food menu, while with its usual meatstuff, also includes veg twists on traditional southern food in entrees made with seitan and tofu. Vegan choices are clearly labeled, and the staff/owners are pleased to discuss the menu at length. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Southern, Non-veg

VeganicMom
VeganicMom

Delicious Down-Home Cooking

Posted on 03 / 17 / 2015

I've been 3-4 times and every time the food is amazing. The first time I went I did get annoyed a bit because I got regular mac instead of vegan after I mentioned being vegan a few times- so overemphasize. However, the food itself is so great!!! I drive completely out of my way to come here. I always get the country fried tofu because I like it so much. Tried to get the same but seitan last time and they were out. Usually also get vegan mac and greens and gobble up. Love love love they offer the organic beer (strawberry is perfect). I wish this was a chain available closer to the city I live in as I commute an hour away here for school, but glad to venture out when I'm in the area :)

Pros: quality flavors, nice staff, cozy atmosphere
Cons: (for me)- location is not as near UF as I would wi, out of menu item
beehivekristine
beehivekristine

They haven't disappointed us yet!

Posted on 02 / 14 / 2015

I really love this place. We've gone quite a few times and I've had an opportunity to try a lot of their vegan menu items, so far I've liked everything I've had. My favorite is the chicken fried tofu. It is such a decadent departure from what I normally eat, that it blows me away. My husband is a meat man, so I try to find places that will have something for both of us when we eat out. This plate does that. I love that they use separate pans and such for meat and non-meat. One of the other things I love is the vegan baked goods. The very best thing is that the service is always wonderful! My one complaint is that the mashed potatoes aren't vegan - I feel tempted to bring in a tub of Earth Balance on our next visit. Despite that, this place is fantastic!!

Pros: plenty of vegan options, friendly service, comfort food
Cons: small - place can get crowded, non-vegan mashed potatoes
Ammdmorrow
Ammdmorrow

Love this place, great food, great service!

Posted on 01 / 19 / 2015

Ok I am writing a food review, but I have to start with the servers- they are some of the best we have had in a long time. This is our third time going to this place and every time the servers are friendly, helpful, attentive but not overly so, such a nice change from other restaurants.

Ok, now for the food. Finally, we went and the country fried seiitan was back on the menu....yay!!! It was so good. I got the sandwich and other diner got the dinner with mac n cheese side. He loved that but portion could be just a bit bigger on the side. The other items order was the BBQ tempeh sandwich, now I personally do not like tempeh, but I did try the sandwich and even I would order that. It was very good, could use a bit more sauce but it was a great sandwich none the less.

Drinks, great and free refills!

Dessert- yes they did have a dessert option, coconut cake. OMG that thing was huge and amazing. Dense, not to sweet, shared by three and still had enough. So good!!
Updated from previous review on Monday January 19, 2015

Pros: Great food, Great service, Great all around

kmilitello
kmilitello

Vegan southern food!!

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2014

I want to go back. Now. The food was amazing. It was hot, fresh, and did not taste too greasy or unhealthy. The country fried tofu was (yes fried) but light and airy inside. The BBQ tofu was delicious. The vegan Mac and cheese was the best vegan mac and cheese I have ever had in my life. The okra tomatoes were shockingly good. Nothing bad to say about thus place's food. It's small inside and could be cozier, but go for a delicious, casual, cheap meal!

Pros: Vegan food section on menu!, Inexpensive, Amazing food
ashfnm
ashfnm

Delicious, Southern, Charming

Posted on 09 / 06 / 2013

Great place in East Gainesville with an entire page of Vegan options in the menu. Pickled watermelon, bbq tempeh sandwich, vegan cakes, vegan mac'n cheese, black eyed peas, collards, etc. You will leave feeling completely stuffed.

Pros: nice atmosphere, friendly staff, tons of vegan options
Cons: heavy food, can be on the slow side when it's busy

Dear Owner and Manager of Southern Charm Kitchen: