Offers a full menu that includes lunch platters, sandwiches, desserts, specialty drinks, daily specials, soy ice cream, smoothies, veggie patties, and pizza pockets, a Sunday night platter, and Sunday brunch once a month. Expanded dining room. Oct 2013 per owner no longer using honey in food or sauces. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Soul food, American, Take-out, Delivery, Catering

Derek A
Derek A

Filling Vegan Food

Posted on 03 / 04 / 2014

We stopped here several times driving through Tallahassee. The food is very Tasty. There is something magical about the Mac & "Cheese" . Vegan Soul Food is a great treat and quite filling.

Julie R
Julie R

AWESOME!

Posted on 01 / 03 / 2014

This might be my new favorite vegan restaurant. The food was amazingly delicious and real stick-to-your-ribs kind of food. You order at a counter from a large menu behind the counter. They don’t have all the items every day; each day is something different (like today the veggies were glazed carrots and collard greens).

I opted for the lunch “platter”. For only $10, I got a wonderful, hearty vegan meal. It’s a choice of meat substitutes (I chose the curry tofu), vegetable rice or mac & cheese (I chose rice), and collards or glazed carrots (how could I NOT get the collards?). And, a piece of cornbread.

There are also other menu items – like daily specials, pizza, salads, etc. – it’s a big menu with something for everyone.

After you order, you sit on the other side in a very nice, sunny dining area and they bring out your food. It was super clean, and had the utensils and napkins at the back. There is also a big thing of water (serve yourself).

My food was out of this world. The curry tofu was perfect. I sometimes shy away from curry because I don’t like spicy food – this was not spicy at all; it was flavorful and the tofu was so good. The collard greens were wonderful too, as was the rice. I really enjoyed the cornbread with my meal.

Both sets of my grandparents were from the deep south, and as kids we grew up eating collard greens, but, there was always some kind of big pork-foot or the like cooked with them. I had not eaten collards in so many years, and I was truly amazed at how good they were without any meat. I loved that.

I am only in Tallahassee for 2 days, and I can’t wait to go back tomorrow. The people who work there are very nice and soft-spoken; they are happy to answer any questions you have about the food. The prices were very, very reasonable. There is a parking lot in the front, and they have free wi-fi.

Pros: Delicious Food, 100% vegan, Super-clean place + inexpensive
Cons: I only here for 2 days!
carmencricket
carmencricket

My Favorite Place to Eat

Posted on 11 / 26 / 2013

I have been eating at Soul Veg for years. The food is delicious and the portions are large. The restaurant is full-service and has plenty of seating. My favorites include the black bean burger, sauted tofu wrap, and the small live salad (which isn't that small), all which can be ordered for under $6 each.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff

annaegel
annaegel

good food

Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

My daughter and I enjoyed this restaurant. I had the BBQ tofu and my daughter had the pizza. My sandwich was good, but a bit sloppy and too much BBQ for my taste. I was stuffed! My daughter really liked her slice of pizza. The "cheese" was interesting (but good), which they make their own and you can find the recipe their website. We both enjoyed the ginger drink (ginger, orange juice and something else). The atmosphere is not fancy, but adequate. The staff is friendly.

Pros: good foord, friendly staff, price
Cons: my dish, too much BBQ sauce, plain decor
Sonsearae
Sonsearae

Best Vegan Restaurant in Tallahassee

Posted on 03 / 15 / 2013

Delicious food prepared from scratch daily. Hands down best vegan mac and 'cheese' on the planet!!

Pros: tasty, healthy
Cons: pricey
rasmu697
rasmu697

100% vegan

Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

I live in Tallahassee and eat here every week, it is so good! The bean burgers are awsome and inexpensive. Its kind of a shame that happycow won't give them a vegan title because they work really hard to make sure there food is all vegan. Defidently stop and eat here on you're way thru tallahassee. P.S.... there menu is kinda tricky for new comers, but don't be afraid to ask for help they are very helpful and polite. They also refuse to reach across you when they serve you food, which is something I wish every resturant would take part in.

Pros: good portions, excellent food, vegan
Cons: slightly tricky to order
sylviaco
sylviaco

healthy

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2011

we always visit them when we are in town for a tasty and healthy meal. priced well.

Pros: healthy, friendly
pamjane
pamjane

hoorah for soul food

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2011

I'd wanted to eat at this restaurant while visiting my parents in South Georgia, but only had a chance to pick something up on the way to the airport. Luckily, they quickly prepared my meal to-go. The greens and mac-n-cheeze were delicious (and HUGE portions-- I got a half portion of each and it was enough for a meal), and my bbq sandwich was out of this world... and messy as a bbq sandwich should be. The ice cream was quite yummy as well.

Pros: yummy food, fast, SOUL FOOD!
seekgoodfood
seekgoodfood

good customer service

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2011

people assisting are friendly and helpful in explaining the menu. But the food is definitely not that great plus there are not much options to pick from. I am generally not picky but I found it difficult to admire the food. Also my friends who went with me ended up throwing away all of what they got. We all got different things from but everything had the same weird smell to it and nothing tasted good. Although the quantity was good enough. Never going back again

Pros: Good customer assistant, Clean inside
PPoison
PPoison

Not my style

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2011

I wish i like them more since they are all vegan and really close to where I work but the prices are too high and I dont like the flavors of the food I have tried.

Pros: Vegan
Cons: High prices
sos
sos

Tallahassee needs more places like this!

Posted on 04 / 23 / 2011

Great little place to go grab something quick and filing for lunch or dinner. Great vegan menu with delicious daily specials! The new indoor service area and dining room are very nice and the staff are always helpful. Their Sunday brunch is amazing - I wish it was served every week!

Pros: vegan, friendly staff
Cons: brunch served too infrequently
Kogwheal
Kogwheal

Tallahassee's finest

Posted on 04 / 20 / 2011

Soul Veg is AMAZING. Heavy, hearty, honest-to-God soul food, very reasonably priced, and all vegan except for honey, which is used in some items. They serve the best soy-based ice cream I've ever had, and their mint chocolate chip "milk" shake is fantastic. I could list my favorite meals, but that would just be a list of the whole menu, so I'll show some restraint here and just say that I dream at night of their collard greens.

The owners and staff are great people, always friendly. Now that they have indoor seating, I go here at least once a week, often more. Check it out.

victoriasquirrel
victoriasquirrel

GREAT FOOD!

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2011

Soul Vegetarian is by far my favorite place to eat in Tallahassee. They have many amazing options to choose from and the food is consistently delicious. I highly recommend the B.B.Q. tofu platter with mac-n-cheese and collards. The live salad is another tasty choice. The staff is always super-friendly and now they have indoor dining! Vegetarian/vegan or not, you gotta try Soul Veg!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, many choices
Cons: not open every Sunday
NatronRose
NatronRose
  • non-vegetarian

Wonderful!

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2011

Great food, friendly people, comfortable atmosphere. I really like going here, and I'm not even a vegetarian. Everything is delicious and fresh and the portions are more than adequate. It's one of those places that you want enough people to know about for it to do well, but not so many that it becomes overly crowded or has to change in fundamental ways to keep up with the demand.

Pros: great food, clean, friendly people
Cons: A little hard to find, limited hours, limited menu
HatersGonnaNate
HatersGonnaNate

Delicious food, great people

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2011

Soul Veg is a great place to get good, 99% vegan (some items have honey), soul food quickly and at a reasonable price. The sandwiches are awesome, the lunch/dinner platters great and filling, and their vegan pizza (Tuesday special) is incredible. Their 50% off deal on weekends makes everything pretty much absurdly cheap, so if you're looking to get some good cheap takeout or even have a quick dine in experience on the weekend this is the place to go. They have a vegan brunch once a month with amazing gluten free pancakes, scrambled tofu, and "sausage" patties. All around a great place to eat, and the staff are super friendly.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff
NeiltheK
NeiltheK

Good food

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2010

Not exactly a restaurant, but more a take out place. On a recent visit to Tally I was looking for veg places to eat. This is a small, out of the way place with a decent menu,& good food. Not really any place to sit and eat (one table outside in the hot sun) so I got the order to go. Plenty of food, I wish I'd been in town longer so I could have tried some of the other offerings.

Pros: Friendly, good value, vegan
Cons: no place to sit, odd flavor, but not bad
anthonymartin
anthonymartin

Excellent Food...Always Satisfied

Posted on 10 / 19 / 2009

Pros: I have to admit I am not a first time customers...been eating here for years...but still get that soul satsfying feeling when I eat the food. The veggies - superb! The cornbread- awesome! The curry tofu chunks-tasty! The sauteed tofu wrap sandwich-off the chain! The ginger citrus punch and hebrew tropical punch-refreshing! Vegan chocolate cake-delectable! Keep it up soul veg...you are a blessing to the Tallahassee community!
Cons: need indoor seating! I hear you are planning to rent the space next store...please do..indoor seating will increase your biz dramatically! Also, thanks for the tent...sitting in the hot sun was very trying...other than that remain consistent with your menu items! Keep up the great work!

Pros: great portions, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
Cons: no indoor seating, no breakfast, no delivery
tallyvegan
tallyvegan

Not "100% vegan" like the sign and menu say

Posted on 03 / 21 / 2009

Granted, the food is good (despite being unbelievably greasy) but they are lying to their customers. I ate at Soul Veg for 3 years before I heard (from a former worker) that they use honey is most of their entrees. I never thought to ask before because on their cart and on their menu it clearly says "100% vegan". I then asked a worker and was told they do use honey. So, even though they say they are a "100% vegan" cart, I started asking when I ordered what did and didn't have honey. Every worker says something different! Very in consistent and technically a health code violation to not know the ingredients in the food. Some people have fatal honey allergies and to advertise as being "100% vegan" when you knowingly have an animal ingredient (not vegan) in your food could land someone in the hospital. So irresponsible and unethical on Soul Veg's part. I've ordered something one day, being reassured it was vegan, and the next day go to order the same thing and surprise, surprise, "Oh, that has honey in it." I've asked a number of workers if they could please write a list of the foods with honey and post it on the cart so people who avoid honey for health or ethical reasons knew what foods to avoid. I was told they would consider it but it basically ended their. It wouldn't be hard to do but I've gathered that they do not want people knowing they use honey. A fellow strict vegan friend of mine posted on their facebook page asking if they could please at least post on their facebook page what has honey. Her comment was deleted. It just seems weird... it wouldn't be that hard to tell people what ingredients you use.

The workers are so sweet and if they replaced the honey with sugar or agave nectar, it would be the best vegan food in Tallahassee. I wish I could give them my business but I think it's so disrespectful to tell your customers there are no animal ingredients in your food but then go and put an obvious animal ingredient in your food especially when said animal ingredient could easily be replaced with plain sugar or agave nectar.

I'm not saying Soul Veg should stop using honey because I personally don't eat honey - it's ridiculous for me to expect every business to cater to my personal dietary choices. But I think if they choose to use honey, they should not have "100% vegan" written on their cart and menu. It's misleading and could really hurt someone with a serious allergy, not to mention exploit customers who put their trust in them.

Pros: Family owned, Nice workers, Convenient locations
Cons: Not vegan, Continues to say "100% vegan", Workers don't always know what's in food
gothicveggie2321
gothicveggie2321

Just Amazing!!!

Posted on 10 / 25 / 2008

I've been to Soul Vegetarian once, but it was just amazing. I had the Veggie Patty which is more like a vegan "meat" pie filled with wheat gluten and spices. It really tasted like something my carnivorous father would have loved. The African Jews who ran it were great with suggesting what fresh on the menu and what I would like. I would most definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Pros: good value, real "soul" food
Cons: hard to find
  • tallyvegan tallyvegan

The veggie patties aren't vegan. They contain honey.

beelover
beelover

Love me some soul!

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2008

I am a huge fan of "soul" but I just wanted to let people know that the location on Lake Ella is only open on Wednesdays. I was in Tallahassee and tried to find something to eat so of course I headed right to the "soul" that was closest to the hotel and was so sad to find it was not there. Anyhow I ended up at All Saints Cafe which is a let down after wanting some yummy bbq twists, collard greens, and mac-n-cheese. As I was leaving, I noticed a little food cart that was actually a Soul Vegetarian cart right around the corner. I wish I had walked around a bit but I think I was dizzy from hunger and completely missed it! If you are looking for a good meal in this area, go to Soul Vegetarian (if you can find it), or if it is coffee, a vegan cookie, and wireless connections go to All Saints Cafe.

Pros: great food, happy people, warms your
Cons: hard to find, no phone, kitchen is on wheels
sarajillian
sarajillian

I can't get enough of this place.

Posted on 12 / 15 / 2007

I love everything I have ever eaten. The mac n cheese is probably the best thing I have ever eaten in my whole life. The people are nice. It's affordable. They are open late. I couldn't ask for more except possibly a restaurant *and* a cart!

Pros: mac n cheese, nice people
Guest
Guest

all vegan! nice people. not super healthy though.

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2007

I mean it's soul food! And it's not too far from FSU/FAM. All the food is tasty, of course the mac n cheese is delicious, though the quality waxes and wanes (sometimes soupy, sometimes just right). *Warning* we have clinics dedicated to recovering mac-heads (no one actually recovers from this addiction, they just take it day by day)
:-)
The gyro (lunch only) comes with a nice sauce and hits the spot. Pretty sure it is seitan. They do a good job with it. The bbq tofu is excellent as others have said. The lasagne is awesome, wish they had it more than once a week (never sure which day it is exactly so I just hope to get lucky). All the food is somewhat greasy and the only veggies (while being tasty) seem to be cooked for a while so they only have so many nutrients left.
The sauteed tofu is pretty good, but it's hard to resist the bbq.
I usually don't get the spanish rice (mostly because I'm addicted to the mac n cheese) but it tends to leave me feeling a bit greasy.
The desserts are pretty good, somewhat like cafeteria style yellow cakes, strawberry shortcakes, and sweet potato pie.
The shakes are good, but they usually don't have the ice cream they advertise.
Oh, but one of the best things (that is also sporadic) is the ginger drink. A heavily, POTENT, ginger drink for hardcore ginger lovers ONLY! Well everyone should drink it though, and I think it's the healthiest thing on the menu and gives you a nice kick. It's good to counteract some of the lethargy you might get eating soul veg.
Overall though, a good way to treat yourself and a rare find in Tallahassee.

Pros: Delicious, close to fsu/famu, friendly
Cons: somewhat greasy
  • tallyvegan tallyvegan

Soul Veg isn't "all vegan". They use honey in just about everything, including the lasagna, BBQ sauce and sauteed wrap.

supervegan
supervegan

Delicious!!!

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2007

I love Soul Veg and I go there often. The lunch cart is open 11-3 M-F in Kleman Plaza. The dinner cart is open 5:30-10 M-Sat next to the Beta Bar. The Mac 'N' Cheese is great, but sometimes incredibly greasy or salty depending on the night. The barbecue tofu sandwich is one of their most popular items for a reason. They make their own BBQ sauce and it is *killer*. If you're in the mood for something healthy, the live platter can be great, especially if they have the carrot supreme that day. That stuff is magical. The dinner special is sometimes good, too. I recommend the quiche or the lasagna. Definitely get a milkshake if they have the ice cream. I love Soul Veg with all of my heart, but the food quality can vary greatly and I do think that the food suffers from being served from a cart. I wish they'd start a restaurant.

Pros: delicious soul food, bbq tofu is to die for, friendly staff
Cons: not a restaurant

Dear Owner and Manager of Soul Vegetarian: