Soul Vegetarian - Abernathy

Serves all vegan comfort soul food, with exception of honey used in a couple items. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, International, African, Take-out

First Review by kimmie2072
sikhidas
sikhidas

Welcome To The Garden InSide

3 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2013

Alittle spaced out ,not cleary defined as what too door where.
To go.they have juice bar,but its hidden.they have buffet but they slow to tell us

Pros: Good Food, Good Food, Good Food
Cons: A Little Slow Off The Mark, Too Dark, To Slow With Some Items
julesy bear
julesy bear

Best Vegan Soul Food I've Ever Had!

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2013

I've been to Souley Vegan in Oakland, CA several times and I knew after my first visit here that this is the best vegan soul food ever. The collard greens are the bomb, mac and cheese and candied yams are amazing, and the fish cakes and tartar sauce were delicious. Staff was friendly and helpful and I liked the wood-beam interior. I would be at this place all the time if I lived in the area. Don't be deterred by the neighborhood -- it's worth it.

vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Delicious delicious delicious

5 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2013

I love the Soul Veg chain. The people are extremely friendly, the food is great, and - if you aren't in a rush - the service is fine.

Definitely recommend going here.

Pros: All-veg, Very friendly
Cons: Uses honey
NaomiBlack
NaomiBlack

Real Vegan Soul

4 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2013

One word: Pizza. While pizza might be a far cry from soul food, Soul Veg's Friday special pizza is a serious hit! Customer's come to the restaurant on Friday specifically for the pizza alone. And they buy 2 rectangle slices at a time. (The slices are nice-sized and filling.) Salivation! lol Very popular restaurant. This Soul Veg has a hot bar and a grill menu to order from. The hot bar always has Mac and cheese (one of the biggest sellers... but not my favorite honestly), brown rice, bean curd gravy, candied yams, broccoli, cornbread and 2 featured soups-- most of the time split pea and orange lentil. There are also daily specials that are featured on the hot bar-- of which the pizza is the favorite. The other daily specials featured regularly when I used to go there were the BBQ Tofu, burritos, stir-fry spaghetti, jerk tofu and southern steak. All pretty good. The grill, on the other hand is hit or miss. Depends on who is on the grill that shift. The grill features all types of vegan burgers (thumbs up), battered baskets (mushrooms, tofu etc..... too oily), stir-fried rice (hit or miss), etc. They also have live salad selections which, again, are great on some days, bland on others. But when its good, it's good! The deserts are great. The restaurant also has a smoothie bar which is AWESOME!!!!! And they sell DELICIOUS ice cream. Sunday morning they open early for brunch which includes hot pancakes, scrambled tofu hash browns, biscuits, etc. Friendly service. Family atmosphere. Large seating area. Clean. Only thing I'm not too crazy about are the prices-- leans a bit on the pricey side for a dinner plate-- around $15... and on the wrong side of town too. But if the latter and former are not issues for you. Go for it!!!!!

Pros: 100% vegan, Tasty, Smoothies and ice cream bar
Cons: pricey, not a safe location
lifekey777
lifekey777

Good food. Too expensive .....

4 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2012

I enjoy the food there, but it cost too much ............

Pros: good tasting food, nice environment
Cons: too expensive, takes too long to get food
LegrayDynamic
LegrayDynamic

One the best places to eat....Period.

5 Posted on 02 / 29 / 2012

For many years soul vegetarian has been one of the best natural vegetarian resto experiences in the Atlanta metro area. Love to eat here. Always!

Pros: friendly good vibes yummy food
Tigra220
Tigra220

Yummy vegan shakes!

4 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2011

I had gone to their Highland location so I called this one to inquire if their menu was different and they said yes, but it was basically the same menu, just a few tweaks. But that's ok. I got the country fried seitan and greens again, since they were very good. My intention was to make it to their brunch, but I missed it. :( This location looked a lot better on the inside though (compared to the Highland location)... Very spacious and it appeared to have been recently re-modeled. This location also had more dessert options, which is right up my alley! There was a smoothie bar in the back (off to the side) and I had a yummilicious berry shake! And I was so excited as I bought several vegan strawberry cakes to take back home with me. However, when I got home I discovered that it was way too dry to my liking. I love moist cakes. So needless to say, I was beyond disappointed. As a matter of fact, their cornbread was also very dry. Maybe that's just how they cook their cakes and breads? I'll pass. But I'd go back for the shakes, greens, and country fried seitan!

Also, this location is close to the Clark, Spelman, Morehouse, Clark college/university campuses. So it's a great alternative to fast food for the busy and on-a-budget student.
Updated from previous review on Sunday April 17, 2011

Pros: affordable, nice portions, smoothie,shake,ice cream bar
Cons: parking
dogfishfire
dogfishfire

• non-vegetarian

Outstanding place with a welcoming atmosphere

5 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2011

My wife and I ate lunch there for the first time the day after valentines day. upon walking in the door we were greeted with great smiles. eager to make our first experience here a success, we were explained the lunch special and given a chance to peruse the menu. taking enthusiastic advice from the server, we chose the lunch special. jerk tofu, mac, and collard greens, along with cornbread. fantastic! absolutely fantastic! every aspect of out visit was super pleasant. vegan heaven! i can't even explain how good the food is, but what made it even better was the attention to us. great food is....great, but it is even better when it is served by people that care. people that care about what they are doing and who they are doing it for. my wife and i will be back every chance we get to, when we are down in atlanta

Pros: friendly staff, great ambiance, healthy cuisine
Cons: none
Roxanne S
Roxanne S

Great Food

4 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2011

The food at Soul Vegetarian is very good. I had a great Split Pea soup and the Kale Bone sandwich that unfortunately had no kale. My waiter did not know the menu even though he had been working at the restaurant for 5 weeks. The other staff members were more helpful and told me what I should order the next visit. The restaurant is very close to the airport and is worth a visit.

Pros: Reasonable Prices, Lots of Variety, Excellent Quality
Cons: Slow Service, Limited menu knowledge of the waiter, Challenging Parking
fondducoeur
fondducoeur

Decent Vegan Food

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2011

I ate at Soul Vegetarian while visiting Atlanta, and had their Sunday brunch. During brunch hours you can pick 3 of their sides and then your choice of biscuits or pancakes. I had scrambled tofu, tofu seaweed croquettes, sauteed veggies, and pancakes. First off, it was a TON of food. I ate most of it, but probably shouldn't have. Also, everything was pretty good, but very greasy. The tofu could have been more flavorful as well, but it wasn't bad. The pancakes were delicious, but again, very greasy. The service was great, since I had never been there before, the server let me sample all of the sides in order to pick which ones I wanted, which was nice. In addition to the sides that I ordered, they also had some sort of tofu cutlets (sort of a mock-baco) fried potaotes, grits, and soy sausage patties. If I had more time to eat at Soul Vegetarian to try their standard menu, I would go back.
The atmosphere was pleasant. Other reviews have mentioned the place looked dirty, but I did not notice that at all.

Pros: Big portions, Good variety
Cons: Very greasy
Randy61
Randy61

Randy here to save you a stomach ache

2 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2010

One word, unprofessional. Their food taste descent one Monday, but on Tuesday... not so descent. Also I've found their food to be extremely greasy, almost like they use oil as a topping, or condiment. If you're dining in, you'll notice salt shakers... You're gonna need them.
It wasn't that bad, the first time I dined there. But the second time, I went home with a stomach ache of unbelievable agony... Don't touch the "Mac n cheese", "cornbread", "Collard greens", or any of their soups.

Pros: quiet, during the day
Cons: The servants are men with messy beards, Unsanitary
Marxist Vegan
Marxist Vegan

Soul Satisfying

4 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2010

Every time I am in Atlanta I make a conscious effort to eat here. The male servers always address me as "brother" and make me feel welcome. Soul and comfort food items are my favorite so this place is a blessing. The salad dressing is incredible and the macaroni and cheese is a must as well.

Pros: Great Food, Salad Dressing
watkinsauce
watkinsauce

A must-visit!

5 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2009

Every time I drive through or visit Atlanta, I must visit the Soul Veg. Most recently, we stopped by on a Sunday morning and had brunch. My goodness! So much food! I had the best scrambled tofu I've ever had (better than my own, even), homemade veggie sausage, two dinner plate pancakes, and tomatoes and sprouts. My oldest daughter and my wife had the biscuits instead of the pancakes, and they couldn't even finish them. Just like mama used to make.

Pros: Vegan, Fresh, Flavor
buddhababy
buddhababy

There is some Consistency

3 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2009

I've been a dining on and off at this place for over 20 years (both Atlanta locations). The male staff is consistently nice. The female staff is consistently unpleasant especially if you don't meet their stereotypical notion of who's conscious enough to be dining at their restaurant. The food is oftentimes amazing. The service is oftentimes slow and rude. The staff knows very little about the preparation or what's in the food they just serve it. And sometimes the environment is dirty and unfit for dinning in. For this I'm very disappointed especially since the Black Hebrews who own it claim to offer you a "royal environment" serving their "royal cuisine". Sometimes the food temp is too low and some of the main entrees on the serving line may be cold(west end location offers this cafeteria style experience). But overall, ordering from the menu is a smart and wiser choice. And the desserts never fail. The Soul Veg is good when you want vegan style soul food items such as barbeque ribs or fast food novelties like a filet o fish or a roast beef sandwich all of which the Soul Veg has vegan versions that are sure to delight. Give it a try but get it to go. This way you won't be disappointed with the service or the environment.

Pros: Good Vegan Versions of trendy foods, Great Desserts
Cons: Slow Service, Attitudes, Not the Cleanest Environment
fatadam
fatadam

this place is gooood

4 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2009

I try to eat here every time i'm in atlanta. The food is healthy and tastes great. You've got a lot of options for dinner that change every night. Everyone says the mac and cheese is good, but the yams are better :) It is pretty expensive (expect dinner with no drink to cost about $15 for one person) but the portions are decent and very filling.

Pros: big portions, yummy, healthy
Cons: expensive
mmuqtasid
mmuqtasid

One of the better eaterys

4 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2009

The resturant sticks with the favorites and features new dishes daily.There is vegan soups,ice cream,smoothies,cakes and pies.However it is a bit pricey so it is not an everyday eatery.

Pros: completely vegan, great food
Cons: expensive, service slow
tablemoonspoons
tablemoonspoons

a must go.

5 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2008

a goal in life for me is to make it to all the soul veg establishments. google the restaurants name and find thier other locations around america and the world. this place is great, the folks are top notch, the food will make you melt. oh and if my memory serves me, i think there is a goodwill or salvation army close by or across the street too worth checking out.

Ghoulira
Ghoulira

Best Vegan Restaurant in Atlanta!

4 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2008

Soul food to me is home. And this is the best vegan soul you can get! I like their macaroni and cheese better than the original when I was vegetarian! Their tempeh and seiten dishes are best, the sides are always spot on with collard greens, macaroni and cheese, and small salad my favorite. The cornbread is ok, a little dry and crumbly and too large a portion. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable, however the music can be annoying at times. The vegan ice kream tastes like frozen soy milk, and they don't have sweet ice southern tea :(. But other than that, this place is delicious!

Pros: yummy food, friendly staff, great location
Cons: prices can be a little high, annoying music, no sweet tea
rainfall2008
rainfall2008

Some of the best food I have ever had

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2007

This place has some of the best food. Try the maccaroni and cheese and spagetti caserole (to die for!). All vegan too!

Pros: superb food, good value, perfect portions
Luke R
Luke R

Really unique, good "soul vegan" food

4 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2007

It's been several months since we ate at Soul, so I may be off on a few details. They have a lot of vegan options. My kids were delighted to have vegan macaroni and cheese, deep fried tofu, and vegan ice cream. The flavors got a little heavy at times, but overall were creative and good.
The atmosphere is family/African/Christian and the staff were very nice. The service was very slow, though.
It's a unique place that we'll definitely try again (if we have the time).

Pros: Vegan options, Creative vegan food, Good taste
Cons: Slow service
  • happyheifer happyheifer

Watch out! They're *Hebrew*, NOT Christian or Jewish.

Guest
Guest

Odd

3 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2007

I have eaten at another Soul Vegetarian restaurant in Washington DC. I liked that one better. The buffet food was varied and healty (beans and rice or barbequed tofu with cornbread and choice of veggies), but 13.95 for an adult portion. We opted for sandwich platters at 7.95 for a sandwich, salad, and fried side. The salad was fresh and came with a yummy house dressing that tasted tahini based. The onion rings were greasy (which I was craving) and crispy. My non-vegan friend thought they tasted "normal." My sandwich was yummy, although their seitan (which they call kalebone) was a little tough. The menu had lots of smoothies and desserts that I just didn't have room in my tummy for. One note of caution is that the neighborhood it is in is a little rough. The restaurant is located just two blocks from the MARTA rail system, but after dark you might be the unfortunate recipient of insults and slurs for not buying bootlegged movies. It was a weird mix to be paired with such a calm, peaceful restaurant where everyone wishes you a blessed day.

Pros: All vegan, Good variety, Friendly service
Cons: Pricely for what you get, Rough neighborhood
  • twutterfli twutterfli

just a tad bit of history. The neighborhood is eclectic, but harmless. It is walking distance from something called The AU center, which is a cluster of HBCU's... Morehouse, spelman, clark atlanta. All though the homeless tend to gravitate there, it is only because the community tends to feed them and show compassion, as apposed to the way they'd be treated in a more affluent area. Also all the vegetables and fruits prepared at the restaurant are actually grown in that community by those "rough" neighborhood volunteers. The community is historic, and it has risen and fallen with the economy. But the community itself is safe, young, filled with most of the south's Future heart surgeons, and lawyers, and etc. Don't be put off by the few entrepreneurial spirits. Also if you take a walk around a corner you will come across another phenominal restaurant called chantrells.

kimmie2072
kimmie2072

• raw

okay food

3 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2007

The food here was okay. my husband loved the way the added flavor to the veggies, but we were not impressed by the cornbread. The bbq tofu was good but to heavy in sauce. However, I would eat here again and the customer services was very friendly and the place was very clean.

Pros: clean, customer service

Dear Owner and Manager of Soul Vegetarian - Abernathy: