CLOSED: Soul Kitchen

Rethymno's organic, vegetarian café offering home-style healthy meals that are mostly vegan. Located at the entrance of the historic Fortezza with a relaxing and scenic atmosphere. Live music in the evenings. May 2014, reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Cretan, Greek, Macrobiotic, Juice bar
Katexaki & Xeimaras, Rethymno
Crete, Greece 74100

Open Mon-Sun lunch and dinner, closed Fri dinner.

• Cash only

First Review by mluria

CLOSED!

2 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2014

I went to Soul Kitchen on 16 May to find it had been closed down by court order for non-payment of debts!! Please remove it from your list as it is not going to re-open according to the organic shopkeeper opposite. A wooden toy shop is going to occupy the premises.

so lovely

5 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2014

This place is very cute. The menu is set and we paid around 8euro each for Heaps of food. The first visit we had a lovely Dahl soup followed by a delicious salad and some domlades. The second time was a lovely soup followed by some black eyed peas and rice. The staff are all lovely and the location is great.

Pros: great food, good location , many vegan options

Food for the soul

5 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2013

I loved this restaurant!!! I arrived late one evening and asked if they were still serving dinner! They were super nice and the chef even came to explain the menu, with great sense of humor, passionate food talk, extremely nice!!! I had the menu that were a lot of different vegan dishes! And they were all amazing!!! The food was so fresh and rich, you could really sense it was cooked from and for the soul!! Even the plates were lovely, beautifully painted! The location is stunning!! The environment calm and relaxing! I was sorry I couldn't try the yoga classes, maybe next time!!!
After my meal the chef came out again to talk a bit! I felt really welcomed there! Everything was excellent!!! The only detail was that I wasn't informed of the price before (didn't ask either) and was a bit too much!! I would have eaten there anyway and food was fantastic but maybe a warning wouldn't have been bad!! I don't know if they have more option on menu, I was only given the macrobiotic menu option!
Absolutely recommend it!!

Pros: Amazing menu with lots of different flavors , Location is beautiful, Staff are so so nice
Cons: Pricey

Great food & super location

4 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2013

We ate here twice during our stay in Crete and were very happy! It's in a great location overlooking the city of Rhetymno and it was so nice to eat some good vegan food and have some veggie juices. The owners are very friendly and even gave us some tea as a present, which was so lovely. Very reasonable prices, lots of veggies, all round great restaurant!

Pros: good food, lots of fresh organic veggies, friendly staff

Good Healthy Call by the Old Fortress Wall

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

We went for the evening set menu on 2 occasions. One was slightly better than the other, but overall we enjoyed the choice of dishes - which were presented on really nice plates, bowls and tiles. It was great to have this healthy, alternative option during our stay in Greece.

The location of the restaurant (where you can also just call in for a drink) is fantastic. By the old fortress wall and very atmospheric at night. A really lovely place to sit.

The owners were very welcoming and friendly in a low key way.

Definitley recommended for somthing a bit different.

Pros: Healthy Food, Interesting Varied Selection, Great Location

Part of Crete's blossoming organic (bio) movement

4 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2012

Soul Kitchen is an ovo-lacto-vegetarian restaurant just opposite the Venetian fortress in Rethymno (it's right at the southeast corner of the fortress). They source most of their produce organically, some grown in their own gardens and some purchased directly from organic farmers in the area. The food is home-style, service is casual, and there's free wi-fi. It's adjacent to a yoga studio that offers a variety of programs. The owner is a friendly and helpful yogi who is also a good source of travel advice.

Vegan Restaurant in a beautiful Venetian Port

3 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2011

Not totally sure what to say about this place. We wanted to go for dinner, it was our last night in Crete. We had come to Rethymno earlier back from Paleochora, partly because we heard that Rethymno is beautiful (it is) and partly because we wanted to be closer to our flight from Heraklion back home the next evening. The fact that there was a vegan restaurant also helped.

We came by Soul Kitchen about 5:30, because we wanted to check it out, otherwise we would have gone to supermarket and bought our standard Greek food (vegan stuff grape leaves in a can and bread). We were a little concerned about the prices, give the 3-cow rating, so we asked to see the menu, and it actually looked very reasonable, 6 or 7 euros for Vegi-burger plate, and a few others I don't remember for 7 E. We told them we would come back around 7:30, and they asked if we could come at 8:30, so we could eat with the group they had, some sort of Yoga workshop, I think that's their main business.

In any case, we came back and we sat down. We asked to see the menus again, and he said that they really don't have that menu tonight, they have a fixed menu tonight, which was miso soup, vegan sushi, rice, and salad for 15 Euros. We said that seemed like a lot, so he said how about 10. I think he was being nice, but it all seemed a little weird. The food was good, not amazing, neither of us are particular fans of miso soup, but certainly not as good as the other two restaurants we ate at in Crete.

At 10E, it wasn't that bad, as the meal also included dessert. 7E for lunch is fine, so maybe the 3-cow rating is two high.

It's a nice setting, a little above the rest of the city, up near the Fortress, which is a nice area to walk around. They have free wifi, which was good as our return charter flight was moved up 4 hours earlier than we had booked.

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Soul Kitchen: