CLOSED: Soul Food

Vegan, halal, parve, satvic, and ital food made using natural and fresh ingredients. Sugar free, gluten free, nut free, soy free, and raw options. Also hosts workshops, classes, meditation, and talks. OCT 19, 2013 LAST DAY - SHUT DOWN/CLOSED. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Western, International, Portugese, Juice bar, Take-out
Volta do Duche 26 (town center)
Sintra, Portugal 2710
00351-211976517

Call for hours - tell us

• Cash only

First Review by Tara HD
Genie_bray
Genie_bray

What a comfortable place to eat!

Posted on 10 / 08 / 2013

We were in Sintra and knew we wanted to eat at Soul Food as it was the only veggie place in town.
At first it was a little difficult to find as it is behind the main shops on the street but we eventually found the inviting wooden sign. We walked down the stairs and into a whole new world. There was a chill out space outside to sit and everything was really colourful and had a lot of character.

There was just one choice of starter, soup, and main, but when you know everything is vegan it makes the lack of choice more acceptable.

We had hummous with various breads and crackers for starter, then a sweet potato and carrot soup. The main was a lentil stew (like daal but no spices) with rice, salad and cabbage. Everything tasted fine, but nothing spectacular. We then had a choice of several desserts, cookie crumble (condensed milk with crumbled cookies) chocolate mouse, apple pie or chocolate cake. We both went for the chocolate cake and it was fantastic.

They also served wonderful tea with the meal. It was really refreshing and naturally sweet.

I would definitely recommend coming here for the great ambiance and for guaranteed good veggie food!

Pros: Colourful exciting atmosphere , Amazing dessert, Great tea
Cons: Lack if choice
Vegjules
Vegjules

After seeing the castle give yourself a king' meal

Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

I really liked this place! Maybe because I wasn't expecting such a nice place! Food was good and comforting (it was a cold day!), the girl serving was very nice and helpful but, just like others who commented before, I didn't see much of activism, but maybe that's because I just wen for lunch!
The price was faire enough and I did like the decoration!
I hope there was a soul food in every Portuguese village!

Pros: Good food, Nice place/location/house, Great staff
theoutsider
theoutsider

Excellent vegan food.

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2013

A very small and nice place in the middle of a garden where vegan, local and organic food is cooked with love. Everyday there's a different menu. Not expensive and very tasty.

Pros: vegan, organic, great vibe
Cons: small, only opened until 7 pm

SilkeD
SilkeD

Lovely Surprise

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2013

We found this restaurant by coincidence, but we were pleasantly surprised!

We just had the main course because we weren't very hungry, but the soup and dessert also looked really good. The portions are rather small, so if you have a healthy appetite, you'd better take the whole menu.

The garden was really cosy. I also took a look inside, and the atmosphere was also really great in there.

We would surely recommend this restaurant!

Pros: reasonably priced for vegan and organic, nice location, friendly service
Cons: rather small portions, a lot of steps to get to the restaurant
itsmeagain
itsmeagain

ok i suppose

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2013

Very hot day, went in, asked for a menu. Was told there is no menu and you get what is on offer daily. It is odd but you do not see the food before the food is dished up.
You are told that you gert a stasrter, main, dessert, and "cold tea."
When you get a small glass of the very cold, chamomile type tea, it is almost devoid of taste.
A starter of cold or lukewarm soup. A tiny portion.
Brusque but holier than thou service, give up your heart man..yeah...the head honcho here, she looks quite gruff and no nonsense, that is so no awkward questions get asked, ie why no choice, small portions and high prices?
Main of cool lentil pate with tasty salads, then a dessert that she tries to choose for you and you think oh god why did i come here?
Go elsewhere if you want value for money.....

Pros: vegan
Cons: price, small portions, holier than thou hippy vibes
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Needs more soul

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2013

I so wanted to like this place, it being all vegan and run by a vegan activist group. But really, the experience left me a little underwhelmed.

It wasn't that it was bad, it was just unspectacular and the sort of stuff I'd expect at a young bachelor friends house. The decor was cheap, the food uninspiring, there was no "vibe" if that makes any sense. The sort of food they serve might interest more health conscious vegans than it did me.

But I did get to eat all vegan and maybe I should be thankful enough for that. And making this a pit-stop on the way from Porto to Lisbon opened my eyes to what a beautiful place Sintra is. (In fact, the highlight of Portugal during my short stay). Thank you Soul Food for opening that opportunity.

My four stars include 3 stars for the food and 1 star for love.

(Considering this place is in a very touristy town I think there'd be a great opportunity for doing a lot more that could also attract the general public. I hope Soul Food can seize the opportunity and I do sincerely wish them the best.)

Pros: All vegan, In Sintra - a most beautiful place
Cons: All a bit lacklustre
  • (Natural) Soul+Food (Natural) Soul+Food

Dear friends, i just read your reviews and I should let you know that we are NOT a vegan activist group. The cat just chose our place to have the kittens, she has a home and a family (not us). Thank you for posting.

• itsmeagain itsmeagain

I agree , i was so disappointed as my wife and i really looked forward to it.
    For a bunch of vegan activists, what are prices doing so very high?
    And the cat has had kittens.
    Will they get her spayed?
    I wonder....

(Natural) Soul+Food
(Natural) Soul+Food

Opening Hours!

Posted on 02 / 07 / 2013

Hello Soulfood family!
We currently have different opening hours for winter time.
We open EVERYDAY from 12pm to 6pm, and weekends we close at 8pm.
The address on this page is also wrong, find us in VOLTA DO DUCHE 2, SINTRA, in between the TukTuks and the Queijadas da Sapa!
Have a great day!

Pros: accurate info!
Cons: :)
  • yessija yessija

We came by on monday 24 june 2013, but you were closed. Maybe you can update?

chrdold
chrdold

great food, cosy place, nice staff

Posted on 09 / 18 / 2012

soul food got my living room during my stay in Sintra.
I love the food, the menu (12-13€) is not cheap, but I got fresh juice, tea, a basket with bread, chips and a spread, soup, main dish and dessert. All of it tasty, so it is really worth it.
The atmosphere is great, you can sit on a table, lay in the grass or even in a hammock. Great to spend some hours there.
Try the cookie crumble!

Pros: great food, great stuff, great atmosphere
scrouton
scrouton

accueil tres sympathique

Posted on 08 / 26 / 2012

nous avons failli manqué le resto car l'adresse est au 2 et non au 26 ! ATTENTION, juste dans les tournant a c'té de la patisssserie. On descend un escalier vers une petite cour aménagée tres boho sympathique. On peut manger dedans ou dehors. Un menu tres économique 13 euros : pains + entrée (une soupe) + plat (patates aux haricots en sauce tomate, et salade) + dessert (crumble aux pommes bio sans sucre) + thé de gingembre + jus de melon-gingembre. Cuisine végétarienne simple, sans tralala, mais assez gouteuse. Super acceuil polyglote et enthousiaste. On signe un papier pour doner, car c'est une association qui promeut la pratique végétarienne. Musique cool, déco trendy. Seul défaut : pas de choix, on mange le menu du jour qui change tous les jours. Le plus absolu : tres calme, tres chaleureux, on se croirait a la maison !

Pros: good value, friendly staff, healthy cuisine
Cons: no choice : one menu, don't come too soon, nothing is ready !
Nia
Nia

nice, very nice

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

A great atmosphere, great food. Seems these 2 things are common in vegan restaurants:) This one is one of the best I've been to though. Salad could be bigger, but soup was nice and the choco cake was the best. My vegan friend who at that time had just gone vegan, tried the vegan cake for the first time and couldn't believe his senses, hahaha.

Pros: great everything, beautiful Sintra
Cons: i miss more raw options
richardlanc
richardlanc

Brilliant

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2012

I ate here on Sunday 15th July 2012. Now that Bake the difference in Lisbon has closed Soul Food is the only 100% vegan place in the area, and well worth the 30 minutes train ride to Sintra. Turn left when you exit Sintra station and you will be there in a few minutes. You go down some stairs and the restaurant area is in a pleasant garden. Soul food has a nice vibe, laid back and chilled out. The food was excellent and the staff helpful. They even sell vegan products inside, like vegan chocolate bars and vegan pet food. They also have a very groovy bathroom. Sintra is also a very beautiful place in spite of it being popular with tourists obviously.

Pros: Good Value, Good staff, Great food
JMarin
JMarin

Great Place

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2012

Soul Food is one of the best restaurants i've ever been. The staff is very friendly and the concept is great and it's worth the visit just for that two things. But there's more, the food is great. I've been there a couple of times and they never disappointed me, the soup and starters are always good and the food always creative, fresh,complete and very tasty.. and the sweets are a must try, low on sugar but satisfies any "sweet tooth", they are very good, i like to go there with other people so i can try the others sweets too ahah.

Pros: Staff, Food, Atmosphere
Sonita Amor
Sonita Amor

Wonderful Vegan Restaurant

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2012

A cozy restaurant with really friendly staff. Daily creative menus, wonderful biologic food.
If it's sunny I recommend eating in the peaceful garden.
Updated from previous review on Monday June 18, 2012

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff, garden
Cons: not fit for large groups
MarkSoh
MarkSoh

2 meals in a day @ Soul Food

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2012

Went on a trip to Sintra recently and came across this vy nice restaurant. The dishes they prepare were really great, and vy creative. Espicially the desserts, as if 1 piece is not enough. Somde of friends and I even ordered some to be taken away. And the folks over there are very helpful as well.

Pros: Tasty, Creative
wadesey
wadesey

Oasis

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2012

Soul Food features a different regional cuisine every day. You can stop in for just tea or juice, just appetizer, just entree, or have an entire multi-course meal of everything they're serving that day. We went for the "everything" after a cold, windy day of eating nothing. It was a blend of Indian and Mediterranean that day and everything was very fresh and tasty. Highly recommended if you're in old Sintra. Most of the staff speak some English, but prepare for a little confusion. All were extremely nice.

Pros: Peaceful, Friendly Staff, Carefully Prepared Food
Cons: Parking
Veggix
Veggix

A must visit

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2012

It's not easy if you're a Vegan and you're travelling around Portugal. You can find a lot of Restaurants in Lisbon, however options are rather limited in other areas. Soul Food in Sintra is surely a must visit . Simple and nice deco, the staff is extremely friendly and, most important, the food is absolutely divine. Starters are great: hummus, nachos and bread. The soup was also very good. As main course I had a sea weed and spinach pie and seasoned Tofu with Quinoa, both delicious, Deserts were heaven made. I had the Coconut mousse with strawberry and pancakes with banana and chocolate. Make sure to visit Soul food in Sintra, you won't regret it.

Pros: Food, Staff, Ambiance
Cons: Parking
Tara HD
Tara HD

Could be better

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2012

Soul food is in a lovely location and has a lot of character (despite way too much plastic furniture and plastic decoration).
The menue of the day is a lot of food. It included a starter (hummous), soup, main dish (mushroom-spinach or chard-tofu-stroganoff with rice, broccoli and salad) and dessert (carrot ginger cake). The hummous and soup were good. The main dish was however a real letdown. It was served partly cold and partly lukewarm. I first tried the broccoli which were cold (as if taken directly from the fridge) so I thought they are part of the salad. Then I tasted the rice which was totally cold too (and prepeared without any salt or very little at most). The stroganoff was lukewarm. My partner told the waitress that our food was cold. She apologized and took our plates. A few minutes later we got a complete main dish again. Even though it was steaming from the surface it was actually lukewarm again.
The cake was small but really enough after all the food we had before. It tasted good.
We also ordered juices for which we didn't have to pay any extra (not sure if this was because of our complaint or if it was included in the price of the menue of the day anyway). They were delicious. A ginger tea (lukewarm) was also included.
Altogether I found the place very nice but the food could be much better. I would probably go there again just to give it a second try and to support a place like this.

Pros: all vegan, friendly staff
Cons: mediocre food
  • pandp pandp

Hello, we were visiting Sintra recently and stumbled upon Soul Food. As we are both vegetarian this was a great relief to find somewhere that is vegan. We ordered the full meal, which consisted a great tasting tea, bread, hummus,soup, and then rice vegetables and salad. We were greatly disappointed to find that the rice was cold, the vegetables cold and only a very small salad. This meal was expensive. We were only able to eat it as we were starving. The restaurant was very clean, had good service and in a lovely setting. I hope that the staff read this message and are able to improve on the food being cold. We were very disappointed.

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Soul Food: