Serves meat, veg options available. Small and charming restaurant run by two Finnish sisters in Brussels' Sablon quarter serving organic fusion food containing no cow's milk or cream, white sugar, wheat, gluten, or additives. Smoke-free. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Organic, International, Non-veg

First Review by Marina_I
hokusai77
hokusai77

One of the few venues open on Sunday in Brussels

3 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2011

Definitely a better place for vegetarians rather than vegans, is a good choice on weekends, since it is one of the few venues open on Sunday in Brussels.

I had a lukewarm split pea soup with onions, coriander and argan oil, followed by falafel with nuts, watermelon (!!), carrots, olives and mint. Good choice also of salads and cold soups.
I didn't have any desserts, but they usually offer homemade sorbets and fruit crumbles that are vegan.

Pros: good food, healthy cuisine
Cons: not a big choice for vegans
sglcklch
sglcklch

Great for vegetarians, not so much for vegans

3 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2011

I'd say this restaurant would be a better choice for omnivores or vegetarians than vegans. The evening my partner and I visited there were a couple of interesting vegetarian dishes that I would love to try; but sadly I was told they couldn't be veganized. The only options I had left were a chilled beet puree/soup, a warm lentil salad (both being starter dishes), and a quesadilla that could be made vegan by leaving the goat cheese out; though the server kindly minded me that it might not be as flavorful without the cheese.

That being the case, I just went with the two inherently vegan items. While the soup was very tasty and delivered a surprising depth of flavor, the lentils had nothing to write home about; it was simply a pile of brown lentils topped with diced tomatoes and garnished with some carrot rounds. My omni partner enjoyed his food a lot though.

On a brighter note, the free bread and hummus were good. They seemed to be using some kind of rye bread now, not baguette as the other reviewer wrote. Also they used organic ingredients and the cuisine was pretty whole-foody. Service was very cordial, but got a little slow when the place started to get busy as there was only one server waiting on all the tables. Decor was rustic and cute, good ambiance; although the place became a little stuffy in the end.

Because of the lack of options, I wouldn't really recommend this restaurant to vegans; but omnis/veggies should have a great meal here. Apparently they change their menu regularly, so check with them ahead to see if they will have anything substantial enough for you.

Pros: staff, healthy, ambiance
Cons: lack of vegan options, service could get slow, ventilation
Paulie10022
Paulie10022

Wonderful experience

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2010

I really can't improve on Marina's review - eating here was a total delight, from the friendly service to the delicious and healthy food. Excellent choice of wines too. For reference I had a Kir Royal, glass of Malbec, Parsnip-Coconut-Curry Soup and a bake of Courgettes with winter vegetables, lentils and goat cheese, served with a really fresh salad and light dressing.

Upon ordering you get a small dish of home-made hummus, with olive oil & balsamic and bread. The only thing that could have been improved was if they served a whole grain bread instead of baguette.

The ambiance is kind of rustic on a tiny side street that might be a little hard to find. Persevere though ...

Pros: Healthy, delicious food, Friendly service, Yummy free hummus
Cons: Coul serve a more interesting bread
  • Paulie10022 Paulie10022

Ate here again twice on a subsequent visit in Jan. 2011. Every bit as good as I remembered and the two meat eating friends I came with both ordered from the veggie menu, as the dishes were so inventive. The menu changes regularly, depending on what is fresh and available.

Marina_I
Marina_I

Soul is a hit!

4 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2009

What a dining treat! The service was delightful, atmosphere warm. The meal exceeded expectations. Each dish was excellently prepared and flavorful. Menu choices were predominantly vegetarian, several vegan options available. Nice selection of wines. Focus is on serving clean and healthful foods.

Pros: Excellent food, Great service, Healthy cuisine
Cons: Price - moderate

Dear Owner and Manager of Soul: