CLOSED: Sophie's Garden

蘇菲花園, at 台北市松山區民生東路四段75巷5-1號, is a veggie food and music cafe, operating since 2010. Offers cuisine with international influences. Owner speaks English. Nice atmosphere with south France coutry style decoration. No garlic or onion used. Use organic and non-GMO products. NOTE REPORTED CLOSED TIL AROUND NOV 15 FOR REMODEL - LET HAPPYCOW KNOW WHEN IT REOPENS! Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Western, Fusion, Taiwanese
5-1, Sec. 4, Alley 75, MinSheng East Road, Songshan District (opposite ChungHua Bank)
Taipei, Taiwan
02-27188373

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by bluesomeone
LoriFromAbroad26
LoriFromAbroad26

This is the best vegan restaurant in Taipei?!

Posted on 10 / 29 / 2015

We went there last Saturday at 7 pm when they're supposed to be open, according to their own schedule, and what we found was a MERRY CHRISTMAS sign on the door and what seemed to be an abandoned restaurant. We did see some light so we knocked on the door and yelled but no reply. We walked there for 30 mins hungry just to find that... my grade is -1 for the lack of respect.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 14, 2015

We were in the neighborhood once and we tried it again but the food sucked and it wasn't even vegan: I'm referring to the the whipped cream fruits.

Definitely not returning. Very disappointing after reading the first two great ratings.

Updated from previous review on Sunday October 25, 2015

Too bad they decided to close instead of fixing their problems. Wishing them good luck and maybe they decide to re-open and upgrade.

Cons: everything
HollyCow
HollyCow

Opening hours

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2015

The kitchen closes at 8:00 pm but the restaurant stays open until 21:30. So if you arrive anything between 8:00 pm and 21:30 pm you'll have a high chance not to be served any food.The prices for lunch menu start around 200 TWD. Prices in the evening are around 300 to 400 TWD. Location is a ten-minute walk from Taipei International Airport.

JustineHsu
JustineHsu

one of the best in taipei

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2015

One of the best vegan restaurants in taipei!

SirEatsAlot
SirEatsAlot

An oasis in Taipei

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2014

I was in Taipei for a conference recently, and I was getting pretty tired of the bland conference food. With some trepidation, I thought I'd check out Sophie's Garden -- even though I wasn't sure I could navigate the alleyways to find it, and I had read an English language blog saying that it might be closed.

Fortunately for me, it was easy to find...and it was most definitely open. Even better, the food and the atmosphere were simply wonderful. As others have commented on, the blend of Taiwanese and European flavours is delicious and there is loads of choice. Do try the tiramisu, really.

The other pro to this place is Sophie herself. She is charming, engaging and generous with her time. It was fascinating to chat with her about veganism in Taiwan, as well as many other topics. As someone who was travelling alone and (sadly) only speaks English, the opportunity for me to have a normal conversation was great!

Others have commented that Sophie's Garden is a little bit pricey by Taipei's standards. From my foreigner's perspective, it was a great amount of delicious food for a small amount of money. Very highly recommended.

Pros: Sophie -- she's awesome, Fresh, delicious and 100% vegan food
nickb
nickb

Nice dining experience

Posted on 11 / 11 / 2014

Sophie's Garden is a quaint little restaurant with a homely, European feel. The food is a mix of eastern & western influenced dishes, served in a set meal featuring soup, salad, an appetiser & dessert.

The soup & salad were both tasty, tasty, and the risotto main was delicious. And for desert the tiramisu was really tasty, although the portion size was quite small.

Overall I enjoyed the dining experience at Sophie's Garden. The food tasted nice (but not amazing) and was presented beautifully.

Pros: 100% vegan, Nice homely European feel
Cons: A little pricey by Taiwan standards
JesseD
JesseD

Taipei's Top Vegan Restaurant

Posted on 10 / 25 / 2014

I'm surprised Bluesomeone is the only person to have reviewed this restaurant. I should have myself years ago!

Adding to what Bluesomeone said this is THE place to go for a nice meal out in Taipei, and a perfect place to introduce non-vegans to how good vegan food can be. The blend of Taiwanese and European flavours is incredible, service is friendly and efficient and the interior is charming without being ostentatious (it's just re-opened after some redecorating, not that I thought it needed it before). Try the tiramisu.

While it's definitely in the upper price bracket for Taipei, it's also excellent value, at about 500NT for a basic set meal (entree, main, dessert and drink). Many "gourmet vegetarian" style restaurants will charge about the same for food which doesn't compare in quality or originality, and the large buffets charge more than this food food often not vegan-friendly.

Tip: If you're flying to Taiwan from Japan or China try to fly into Songshan Airport instead of Taoyuan. You'll land right in Taipei (saving the bus or train ride from Taoyuan) and then a meal at Sophie's can be your welcome or send-off from Taiwan, as it's walkable from the airport.

Pros: incredible food and nice atmosphere, very reasonably priced for what it is, close to Songshan Airport
bluesomeone
bluesomeone

I think it's the top 1 vegan restaurant in Taipei.

Posted on 09 / 16 / 2014

Their special hand-made set are fantastic! Exquisite and high quality.

Pros: Organic , Delicious, Nice atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Sophie's Garden: