First all vegan bakery and patisserie in Montreal, opened July 2013. Has gluten-free choices. Each day the kitchen makes one sandwich of the day. Also offers vegan ice cream and coffee. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Bakery, Canadian, French, Western, Take-out
167 Ave des Pins (St Laurent)
Montreal, Quebec H2W 1N9
514-823-5865

Open Tue-Wed and Sun 11am-6pm, Thur-Fri 11am-9pm, Sat 11am-8pm, closed Mon.

First Review by Ilovecows
marcstevens
marcstevens

So This Is How Hard Choice Is For Non Vegans

4 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2014

Small but perfectly formed kooky little place, lovely friendly staff, and such a choice of vegan sweets that we had to scoff our faces. Rarely do we face the wonderful dilemma of such choice. Had to bring some home for later...

Pros: Scrumptious cakes, icecream, truffles, cookies ..., Lovely staff, Did I mention the amazing vegan goodies??
Cons: Erm ..., None That We Saw.
zeroteque
zeroteque

we loved it so much we came twice!

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2014

Ran across this place looking for lunch. They only have one sandwich, a vegan blt both times, but we got the vegan frittata. It was excellent. We also had two coffees and a slice if peach pie with pistachio rosewater ice cream and caramel ice cream). Again, delicious.

We came a couple days later and bought two for one cupcakes and iced tea, also great. We would definitely recommend making this a priority stop.

One of the best parts was the woman working both days, who was extraordinarily friendly.

Pros: desserts, options, staff
Cons: none!
LaVanessa
LaVanessa

Yummy! Wish I lived closer.

5 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2014

Went to Sophie Sucrée one rainy afternoon with a non-vegan friend. I had the carrot cake with cashew cream (delicious), a peanut butter and tahini 'biscuit au beurre' (yummy) and an unbelievably creamy hot chocolate. The lady at the counter was very friendly and helpful. I can't wait to come back here - longue vie à Sophie Sucrée!

Pros: delicious, good location, friendly staff

Kyleigh100
Kyleigh100

The Best Vegan Bakery!

5 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2014

This is by far one of the best Vegan Bakeries I've ever been too. It's definitely the best Vegan Bakery in Montreal, and really the only other place that I can think of to rival it would be Edible Flours in Vancouver, however Sophie Sucree just might have them beat too.

I was so fortunate on my trip to Montreal to be able to eat here twice, and both times the service was good, and the staff was friendly, helpful, and talkative. We had a nice long chat with the owner who was a real sweetheart, and a total inspiration. Since It was back in September that we visited I can't recall exactly everything we ate while there but on both trips we enjoyed iced coffee with almond milk. I recall we also ate cinnamon buns, cupcakes, a fruit tart, a brownie, and a few other things. Each pastry was divine, delicate, fluffy, sweet - but not too sweet - in short, perfect. In fact, I'm not sure i've ever had more perfect baked goods, and I say this as an avid - and quite a fantastic - baker myself. The love in this cafe is evident, the love, and passion that goes into each creation is palpable, and it is something you should not miss. Whether you live in Montreal or are just visiting you need to make the effort to go to Sophie Sucree, your tastebuds will thank you. I can't wait for my next trip to Montreal!

Pros: Great Coffee, and Desserts , Friendly, helpful Staff, Great Atmosphere
lanise
lanise

What Montreal was missing.

5 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2014

While there are so many things to say about this place, I think I can some my opinion up quite quickly:

As an avid vegan baker, every time I go here I am simultaneously thrilled to be eating such perfect vegan baked goods at the same time I am so jealous that I haven't yet figured out how to make such perfect pastries in my own kitchen.

Pros: beautiful and cozy, variety, inexpensive
Cons: not convienient to sit/read for a while
vegan-ese
vegan-ese

They're living my dream...

5 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

which is basically to have a vegan bakery-café. Failing that, if I still lived on the Plateau, I'd be hanging out at this place on my days off nibbling treats and having coffee.

* * *
I had ordered a chocolate-orange yule log for Xmas eve dinner via email and they were very flexible with the arrangements since I live off-island. It was absolutely amazing to have this for dessert with a bunch of non-veg*ns. The cake was very moist and the almonds were such a nice touch. (see pic). At the same time, I picked out a pecan tart (nice but just ok) and a freshly made almond cream brioche (really good!).

* * *
Today, I went for brunch (see pic for description). It was $12, including coffee/tea or juice. I took an earl grey tea which was served out of a thermos. Unfortunately, it was lukewarm -- a no-no for tea enthusiasts. The plate had a lot of goodies: the sweet potato pancake was very good, as was the tortière. I didn't care for the ketchup, though. The real jewel of this brunch plate was the salad: kale tossed in lemon juice, topped with dried cranberries, crushed pecans and pomegranate kernels. This is something I'll have to try and re-create.

Overall, it was a tasty, high quality meal, but not very much food for the price. An improvement would be to either add a second pancake and have a larger salad, or add something bready to the plate. Also, to make sure the tea is hot.

Upon paying the bill, I bought two doughnuts: sugar & cinnamon, and coconut. Both are yeast-based doughnuts, not cake ones -- it's very hard to find yeasted vegan doughnuts, so I was very excited. The coconut was amazing, the other was just standard. Apparently these were made by a place called Léché Desserts, an artisanal doughnut boutique, and Sophie Sucrée carries them from Thursday to Sunday.
Updated from previous review on Sunday December 29, 2013

Pros: All vegan pastries and baked goods!, Good location, Delicious food made by passionate people
Cons: Brunch served only on certain days, Not many seats available for brunch
natezmatthews
natezmatthews

Friendly, cute and delicious

4 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2013

All the baked goods look as good as they taste. The whole place is extremely cute, and the woman at the desk was very personable and helpful. Our only complaint was that the coffee wasn't spectacular.

Pros: Food and store look great, Friendly staff, Delicious
Cons: Coffee is just okay
Babette
Babette

Great bakery

4 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2013

At Sophie Sucrée, you will find high quality baked goods that are tasty and keep you wantint to go back for more.

I particularly recommend the cinammon buns and the cupcakes with raspberry frosting, although pretty much everything is delicious.

There are two large tables if you want to sit and eat there.

Pros: Nice and cute atmosphere, Extremely friendly staff, Use coconut oil instead of shortening
Cons: A little bit pricey (but it's quality), Not that many "junk" baked goods
freyja
freyja

Finally!!

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2013

I can't believe this opened just after I moved away from Montreal. This bakery is A-W-E-S-O-M-E. Everything we tried there was fantastic! Vegan cinnamon buns? To die for. Vegan shortbreads? Oh-so-yummy. High-quality and tasty products, decent price. They carry fancy items, so don't expect (for the moment) to get a slice of decadent chocolate-cake, but it's still definitely worth trying! The choice isn't too wide either, but everything is good so don't worry. They also do catering jobs, so I guess you could get yourself something decadent if you order a cake. Prices are reasonable for what you get, pretty similar to any bakery.

Pros: Delicious, Super friendly staff, Cute place
blueberrypie
blueberrypie

sugar high!

4 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

Try the cinnamon buns (brioches)!!! They are absolutely decadent and delicious.

There's a nice variety of baked goods and treats - scones, shortbread, tarts, cakes, brownies, ice cream. Gluten free options too. These are real-deal desserts, none of that "replaced the sugar with pureed dates and this ice-cream is made of frozen bananas" stuff.
A very welcome addition to the vegan dessert scene in Montreal, they've raised the bar I think. The place is very pretty and everything is nicely presented. There are a few little tables, and they have beverages as well, so it could be a lovely place to sit down and leisurely enjoy your dainty treats.
I find the prices a tad high, but it's fancy, so to be expected I suppose.

Anyway, it's pretty great and I will be going back frequently I'm sure.

Pros: super delicious, great attention to visual presentation
Cons: a bit pricey
BaloneySlap
BaloneySlap

Finally!

4 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2013

I have been waiting years for a vegan bakery in Montreal. I've been there a couple of times and have mixed feelings. The store itself is very cute, and the desserts seem to be made with care and love, but the variety is lacking, and the prices seem a bit high. I suppose it's an artisan bakery, but I was hoping for more junky desserts like donuts and cream pies.

What I've tried has been very good though: their cookies and cupcakes are tasty, excellent cinnamon buns, yummy sandwiches, excellent ice cream....I guess I'm still waiting for that vegan trash bakery to open up. Anyone?

Pros: Great staff, Cute decor, Tasty desserts
Cons: Pricey, Lacking variety, too healthy
Ilovecows
Ilovecows

Sweet Vegan

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2013

I just discovered Sophie Sucree. Adorable little shop that has just opened in Montreal.
I was quite impressed by their vegan cinnamon buns and lavender shortbread.
They also serve nice homemade vegan ice cream.
They also have few gluten free options.
They don't have a lot of choices but what they have looks so beautiful since the owner is a real artist.
I hope they will have more options in the future.

Pros: Friendly staff, Very clean, High quality ingredients

Dear Owner and Manager of Sophie Sucree: