Serves meat, veg options available. Indian cuisine. Has some vegetarian dishes. Accommodates vegan requests. Price: Expensive more-less
Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
2900 Valley Ave (York Ave)
Winchester, Virginia 22601

FoodHeals
FoodHeals

Tourist accommodated by Exec Chef

Posted on 09 / 13 / 2014

This vegan and my vegetarian boyfriend had a Fantastic experience at Sona. I was a little nervous truth be told upon driving into the parking lot as the place looked dead. However, the interior is a delight and they offer outdoor seating. The Exec Chef greets his customers. This allowed me to tell him personally that I was vegan and had a LOT of food intolerances. He was super friendly and very gracious. His menu has a lot of vegan options but he customized dishes for me. We were very happy with the yummy food and friendly staff. So happy that we went back the next night for dinner again and were warmly received and treated to more unique dishes. I highly recommend eating here when you are in Winchester.

Pros: Diverse menu, lots of vegan/vegetarian, Great food at good prices, Friendly and attentive staff
Cons: Exterior does not represent interior, No non-caffeinated hot tea available
AnnalieseH
AnnalieseH

Disappointed

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2014

I've heard amazing things about Sona, so my husband and I decided to give it a shot. From the outside, it looks horrid, but we were brave and entered.

1. The atmosphere was fine. Nothing too special, but miles better than how it looks from the outside.

2. The service was excellent, and the owner came out to ask about our meal while we ate (not in an obtrusive way).

3. The food didn't impress. I couldn't even tell you what we ate because both dishes had basically the same flavor. We are both food lovers, and the only reason we finished our meals was out of politeness. The food didn't taste BAD, but it wasn't good enough to actually make us want to continue eating.

Admittedly, my husband and I are not huge fans of Indian food, so maybe an Indian food lover would feel much differently about this restaurant, but we were not impressed at all, so we won't be returning. I'm not sure what all the rave reviews are about.

MissJenny
MissJenny

Great place!

Posted on 05 / 08 / 2014

Located on Route 11 in Winchester, this colorful little place is definitely worth a trip! Chef Kumar is extremely friendly and accommodating and the food is delicious, well-prepared and pleasantly warm. My mom and I stopped in for lunch one day and when I mentioned I was vegan they were super helpful. Chef Kumar even came out and talked with us by our table (he did this with the other customers in the restaurant, too.) He said that almost every item on the menu can be made vegan. The server, who was also very friendly, brought me a lovely salad topped with a spicy chickpea mixture instead of the usual dressing and they even made me a separate chai without milk. The lunch special came with a fantastic soup as well, also vegan-friendly. The vegetable curry I ordered was really lovely and spicy (I asked for level 7 on the spiciness scale) and even their rice is delicious. It's obvious that Chef Kumar takes a lot of pride in the food he prepares and that he truly cares about his customers. He offers a cooking class once a month (I think you can see the schedule on their website) that I am definitely going to sign up for. I would highly recommend this place to anyone, but especially to vegans. There aren't many vegan-friendly establishments in the Winchester area so it's nice to support a restaurant that not only knows what vegan food is, but that does an amazing job preparing it.

Pros: Delicious food, friendly staff, accommodating to vegans

Green_T
Green_T

Amazing Indian food!

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2013

Sona is wonderful! I second everything Aniya20 said. The owner Shiv is the best and truly cares about his customer’s experiences. The food is excellent. If price is a concern, check them out for lunch- their lunch menu is really a steal!

SBrown
SBrown

My favorite restaurant in Winchester

Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

It's pretty hard to find vegan friendly restaurants in Winchester, Virginia, but Sona is definitely an exception. If you tell them you are vegan, they are very understanding and can make almost every vegetarian dish vegan, if it is not already. Service is excellent, atmosphere is fun with lots of cool decorations and music, and the food is delicious.

aniya20
aniya20

Gourmet Vegan Indian Cuisine & no allergic event

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2012

We felt special at Sona as first time visitors who would love to try different cuisines'when possible.' We drove from Berkeley Springs, WV to Sona, after seeing a Happy Cow listing. I have an allergy so did not know what to expect. The verdict: I can't express enough how fresh, filling and delicious the food was, the attentive service of the staff or the welcoming atmosphere. We began by ordering a veg soup and garlic cauliflower appetizers and it was delicious. From the bread to our entrees we enjoyed every bite and it was reasonable in cost. The staff explained that just about everything on the menu could be made vegan and our wait wasn't long for what was delicious Indian food. In addition, my having a serious allergy didn't seem to make any ruffle with the staff as they were clear and concise on what the ingredients were in the food served. The staff had no problems with my specific request. In the past, I could only eat at one restaurant in nearby Maryland but now can add Sona which I deem safe for my body and very gourmet delicious. The chef came around to different tables and was delightful in making sure everything was ok. This is how it used to be in restaurants where people cared about there product. This was not fast food at all!!! I hope to return often to Sona. Wonderful place!

Pros: food spectacular, staff, allergy & vegan
Cons: none experienced

Dear Owner and Manager of Sona: