Sol y Luna

Vegetarian restaurant offering a set menu for lunch that includes juice, soup, and main course. The door is open during lunch hours and the restaurant is upstairs. You need to ring the doorbell to eat there during dinner hours or stop in next door at the all natural medicine and supplement store to be let in. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Colombian, South American

First Review by Scrablero
maynard7
maynard7

3 cows for good, basic food

3 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2014

They usually unlock the door at street level a little after 12 noon. Go upstairs and pick any table (most tables were occupied by 1220pm, so I would get there early, and be willing to share your table if necessary).

I went twice while I was in Tunja. Both times the set meal included a big bowl of soup, juice drink, dessert, and a plate with 4 items. The first time I went, I didn't think there was enough protein on the plate. The second time there were beans. Both times the meals were very heavy on starchy items (example: rice, beans, plantains on one plate).

I wish there had been some veggies, such as broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, etc. Anything green would have been nice. This was the only veggie place in town that I could find. The meal of the day is 8.000 pesos as of January 2014.

Pros: Location, Price
Cons: Too much starch/carbs on the plate, Food not unique in any way, Flavors nothing special
Scrablero
Scrablero

the best recommendation: mobbed with locals

5 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2012

I found this restaurant by chance as I was wandering around Tunja looking for something to eat. I walked upstairs to find all the rooms completely jam-packed with locals. I told the staff I would return later, but they wedged me into a table with a local grandmother, who proved to be quite charming. When I jokingly said there were a lot of vegetarians in Tunja, she said, "No, just a few, but it's because the food is so delicious." There is no higher endorsement of a restaurant.

And indeed the food was delicious, starting with soup, then a big plate of brown rice and several prepared veggies and salad. Papaya juice and a small dessert rounded it out, for 7,000 COP. BTW, the woman's plate was smaller; she said she was having a "medio" (medium), so that's available for light eaters.

The set lunch was vegan, but I did see fried eggs going out on some plates, so it's not 100% vegan.

Dear Owner and Manager of Sol y Luna: