Soe Pyi Swar Vegetarian Centre

A simple street side vegetarian cafe that puts out tables on the street at night. Located in Chinatown, south of Anawratha and north of Mahabandoola Street. Has an English menu. Offers many faux meats, which are typically served on a bed of vegetables. You could order off the menu as well or ask for mixed vegetable with or without tofu and a side of rice. The plates are large servings meant to be shared. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese

First Review by Chelmi
Cchurko
Cchurko

Big Menu, Nice Staff

3 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2014

Was difficult to find from the map button please update coordinates to:
N 16°46.558' , E 96°09.033'
My review is the same as the others. We were glad this place existed at all compared to the carnage at the rest of the street food vendors. It was weird to see pigs heart and intestines on the menu as faux meat selections. We wanted spring rolls and got sauteed potatoes instead (they were next to each other on the menu when we pointed for the server).the potatoes were actually really good. We also ordered soup not realizing a small bowl came with the meal so we had too much soup. The third thing we had was the deep fried ribs. They were rings reminiscent of pork rinds with a French fry in the middle. Kind of flavorless but good in the soup or with the condiments.

Pros: Big Menu, Nice Staff
Cons: Non Ac
ZuZu
ZuZu

Great veg place close to Chinatown nightlife

4 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2013

I really liked this place and we ate almost all our meals here during our three days in Yangon. I found it to be clean and friendly! The food was tasty and healthy for us, there was no problem in that regards. There is a public pay bathroom down the block so there is no need to use the one inside. I found that small family restaurants usually have their own living space behind that isn't necessarily intended for patrons though they never refuse. The menu is a shocker! Most hardcore vegetarians don't want to order unusual animal parts made of faux meats, but you don't have to - order mixed vegetables if you are intimidated by the menu. The fried kailan is delicious! I found that the vegetables listed as fried were actually sauteed with broth and not too oily, I was super happy to get big plates of vegetables and we always left feeling good. The fried noodles are yummy, too! They always serve an accompaniment of soup and condiments as well. One shared dish and two servings of rice runs about 2500 kyats, not the cheapest food in Myanmar but by no means expensive, and maybe 4000 for two dishes with rice. We even had them pack to-go food for us when we headed out, more noodles and mixed veg! and it was perfect. This place helped us get our footing in Myanmar as vegetarians, before we learned the magic words of vegetarianism. There is a Burmese phrase that sounds to me like "thut thut luck" which means without the taking of life. You should get a Burmese person to teach you to say these words so that you can be understood. Once you know this phrase, you can go to any restaurant or food stall and say this, and they will serve you whatever they have that is suitable for vegetarian monks. This worked great for us, despite the language barrier otherwise. Once we discovered traditional burmese salads, we went crazy for them, but this did catch up to me pretty quickly and I got mildly sick from a salad that I ate at a non-veg place in Mandalay. Just thought I'd toss that info in since it helped me to be confidently vegetarian in Myanmar! Don't be afraid - search the market stalls, especially in the mornings, when noodle soup is served. I always look for a healthy looking woman with bowls of soapy water for washing hands and dishes on site and try out the magic words! My favorite meals in Myanmar were eaten at places like that. Good luck to you in your quest for delicious vegetarian food in Myanmar! I recommend Soe Pyi Swar for humble people of reasonable expectations.

Pros: Vegetarian!, Close to interesting parts of the city, Friendly
Cons: most staff speak little to no english
freeprincebandar
freeprincebandar

Dirty Chinese food owners mean well

2 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2012

The pickings are slim in Yangon. This was possibly filthiest restaurant we went to in Myanmar. Owner was quite nice though and did want to feed us. The food was just not that inspiring enough to eat.

Pros: close to Chinese
Cons: food is not great
Pawness
Pawness

It is a vegetarian restaurant.... That's true.

3 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

Disclaimer: I've been a vegetarian for 18 years and I don't miss meat at all. The idea of eating meat creaps me out.

Ok, this place is in Chinatown and clearly caters to people who eat veg twice a month for religious reasons. They miss organ meats and a variety of meaty textures and flavors that I really don't miss or want...at all. The first page of the menu will provide you with some ok fried rice / noodles and spring rolls. The rest of the long menu might gross you out - how many of you want "artificial pig heart" as part of your lunch. Having said that, it is a veg restaurant with a very creative gluten-o-rama mock meat menu. If you dig it, great. If not, I would stick with the good and cheap (and nowhere near as grubby) veg Indian places listed here and in the Lonely Planet.

Pros: Vegetarian menu, Vegan dishes possible, Friendly kid staff
Cons: Grubby, Nasty mock meats, Very limited English
Tofulicious
Tofulicious

Food's Okay, If Overpriced; Owner & Staff Are Not

2 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2012

I was so excited when I discovered *the* vegetarian restaurant in Myanmar, that I didn't even mind that they gave me rice when I said I didn't want any (and charged me MKY 500 for it). On my second visit, however, I visited the toilet after ordering, and looked up to see one of the boys (yes, he only employs children and teens) was spying on me through the window. I yelled at him, and when I went back through the kitchen the waitstaff boys told me, 'He's gone - he went that way', then proceeded to unlock all the doors between the kitchen and restaurant, which were previously open!

A little shaken, I went to tell the owner/operator what happened; he completely ignored me. I continued to tell him, in detail, until he finally looked up from his books and said 'I'm sorry about that' when he clearly wasn't.

There was a sign hanging in the restaurant that said: 'Be kind to animals - don't eat them.' The owner/operator of this diner clearly doesn't feel the same way about his customers. As a passionate vegan, it says a lot that I chose to eat at a non-veg Indian eatery in Yangon for the remainder of my stay.

Pros: Vegetarian food
Cons: Overpriced, No prices on menu, No customer service

terrenceleong
terrenceleong

Chinese Vegetarian

3 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2011

This shop is located at 136, Latha Street. Many varieties and price is around 1000kyats - 3000kyats (USD1.25 - USD4.00). Inexpensive because other restaurant usually cost 2000kyats & above.
There is another vegetarian restaurant on the same road which is about 5-10 shops away from this restaurant. Many varieties too. Cost around 2000kyats - 5000kyats.
There are also many shop but selling Burmese biryani rice & it's very nice and available for vegetarian too. It cost 1500 kyats. Must try & very nice.

Fifi La Purr
Fifi La Purr

A real vegan gem in Myanmar

4 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2011

Food really scrummy. If you're faint of heart stick to page one of a substantial menu, following are an array of fake meat meals. Food cheap,fresh and bursting with veggies and tofu, free fruit, lovely staff, what more could you want?!

Pros: Good food, Vegan, Cheap
Chelmi
Chelmi

Soe Pye Swar Vegetarian Centre

4 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2008

The restaurant is a 15 minutes walk from Sule Paya, it closes at 9pm. Try the fried preserved vegetables and the vermicelli soup. Free fruit salad for desert.

Pros: vegan, long opening hours (for Myanmar)

Dear Owner and Manager of Soe Pyi Swar Vegetarian Centre: