Serves meat, veg options available. Wide range of international dishes with many main entrees being able to be made with with tofu or tempeh choie. Sandwiches could be made on gluten free bread or brown rice instead of regular bread. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, American, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
653 E 52nd St

Vegtravel4
Vegtravel4

Healthiest + perhaps tastiest vegan food in Indy

Posted on 04 / 17 / 2014

This place is one of our favorite places to go for vegan food in Indy... can't say enough good things about SoBro Cafe. They have options for vegan brunch; tasty vegan salads (which is an area of extreme shortage in Indianapolis); and good vegan desserts. I love the Goodburger (their house-made veggie burger) and buffalo tempeh, but everything is super delicious. The service is helpful and friendly. They'll work with you to find a perfect meal for your dietary needs. A+. We need about 10 more places like this in Indy!

Pros: Food quality (organic, fresh), Delicious preparations, Awesome staff and location
ReidMeFirst
ReidMeFirst

Yummy brunch (and even dinner)

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

Sobro Cafe has a reputation as a brunch place (and it rocks for vegetarians and vegans for weekend brunch). It's also a decent dinner place, with a chef-made veggie burger and vegan specials.

They do serve meat and dairy, but the staff is actually aware of what's in the food...No worries about the typical blank stares that you get when you ask questions.

The place reminds me a bit of restaurants that you would normally find in Portland. I hope that more restaurants like this pop up around Indianapolis, that's for sure.

Pros: good food, good price, knowledgeable staff
Cons: crowded on the weekends, a bit quiet on weeknights
kaduhacissej
kaduhacissej

Delicious Brunch!

Posted on 08 / 14 / 2012

I could not wait to try the veg biscuits and gravy at this place. It did not disappoint, although it did surprise. I expected some kind of faux meat product, but it was made with veggies in a delicious mushroomy gravy. I felt much healthier eating veggies instead of faux meat and it was delicious. I also got a chai latte, which is always made with soy, and it was OUT OF THIS WORLD! Probably the best chai ever, and it's one of their specialties. I can't wait to try this place out for lunch and/or dinner. My husband said his brunch, some egg thing, was just ok, and he thought it was a bit pricey for what you got. I was happy with everything though. The chef here used to be the chef at Earth House Cafe, which is all veg, so she knows what she's doing with veg food.

Pros: Veggie biscuits & gravy, Chai
Cons: Possibly a touch pricey

indyvegan
indyvegan

Fantastic little cafe

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

I love this restaurant! I went for lunch and was very impressed. The waitress was very accomodating, friendly and knowledgeable - and a vegan herself. She let me know which dishes were vegan and which could be made that way on request. The sweet potato fries and homemade ketchup are delicious. I had the tempeh / tahini sandwich on pita (minus the goat cheese) - it was absolutely wonderful! My cousin had the tuna melt and said it was the best she had ever had. I took my son back there a week or so later. They were very accomodating and made a special lunch for him. I tried the hummous sandwich and it was delicious as well. Very cool restaurant, options for everyone, awesome wait staff and tasty food :)

Pros: friendly, knowledgeable staff, delicious food, options for everyone
Cons: would like a few more vegan options
sarahsvati
sarahsvati

Still working out the kinks.

Posted on 05 / 08 / 2012

The good thing about SoBro is that it is one of the only places I know that serves a vegan brunch in Indy. In addition, the waitress was very helpful about letting me know what was vegan.

The downside: The biscuits and gravy, while pretty tasty, were nothing like biscuits and gravy. Almost more like a veggie dumpling stew. I found I enjoyed the dish once I adjusted my expectations.

I know the place is pretty new and maybe still working out kinks. I'd love to go back and try the vegan cake that the waitress mentioned!

Pros: vegan brunch, knowledgeable staff
Cons: few options, puck-like biscuits
mlee
mlee

Amazing vegan options

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2012

Awesome vegan selections! I went here and ordered soy milk with my coffee. The waitress asked if I was vegan. I said that I was and she said "Great, we have plenty of vegan options and let me know if I can explain anything on the menu." I had the vegan biscuits and gravy. It was heaven. When we were leaving the waitress explained she just baked a vegan lemon cake. I wish we lived in town. I would eat there all the time!

Pros: Great vegan food!

Dear Owner and Manager of Sobro Cafe: