Serves meat, veg options available. Small restaurant with an extensive menu, including tofu dishes, green vegetables, spring rolls, and soups. Price: Moderate more-less
Chinese, Non-veg

First Review by Lola Crumpet
azaleea
azaleea

it is good!!!

4 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2013

on our family trip to ottawa, we picked this restaurant for dinner, based on the reviews on HC.
i knew what to expect, the riviews are very accurate, i can only confirm what others said before.
it is indeed very small and very dated, but neverthless clean, whcih for me is more important.
it is affodable, but not cheap. it is true that the portions are huge (and we are used to eating large portions at home).
everything was fresh and cooked very well, but indeed too greasy. we never ate like that and even less since we became vegans. the food was tasty, but late at night and next morning, i was very queasy (and i am not pregnant lol). the spring rolls were one of the best i ever had, if not the best, come to think it--i only wish they were less greasy. my husband agreed. the soups are nice but the medium portion is just huge, a real meal. we loved the King Mushrooms with Chinese Greens and also Wu Se Vegetables (peanut sauce)--- i am not sure, it had a peanut sauce with cashews - everyone's favourite. Since we each had a soup, spring rolls, a main dish and we shared a bowl of steamed noodles (2 adults and a toddler), we doggy-bagged the leftovers and had a nice meal (well, not so nice reheated, but still) next day at home.
we loved the food, but i would not eat like this more than twice per year. i tried a similar receipe at home, but with steamed, not fried/deepfried veggies, and it was just delicious and healthy.

the place was very busy and loudm, but friendly. we took a lot of space, because we also had a baby in a stroller, but the staff were very nice and accommodating, even heated up babyfood and also used a few chairs to makle up for the missing baby change station in the bathroom. the service was quick and we never felt rushed, although we stayed a long time and took a lot of place and took quite some time to decide what to eat.

anyway, i would go back, but would not be a regular.

Pros: very tasty food, a lot of choice, affordable
Cons: too greasy, small dated place, should offer half-portions + half price
gwild
gwild

So good is good but not outstanding

3 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2012

I agree with the previous reviews. They have 508 items on their menu! Why not pick the best ones and concentrate on those? They have a section of vegetarian options but the majority of items contain meat. The restaurant is very plain so we usually opt for take out.
The salt and pepper tofu is good- not sure how healthy deep fried salty tofu is but we all loved it. The Thai rice noodles are also good but we have had better. The broccoli with lemon grass was perfectly cooked with just the right amount of crunch. We didn't like the tofu balls in mushroom sauce. We like the Wu se vegetables but the sauce was a bit too watery. All items are around $10 each.
I wish Ottawa had a vegetarian chinese food restaurant!

Pros: Quick, Affordable
Cons: No atmosphere, Too many choices
Soviet Canuckistan
Soviet Canuckistan

So So (but always better than bad)

3 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2010

I've gone there since around 2001 at least once or twice a year minimum (less so now that I don't live in Ottawa).

The food is getting a little tired, it's never as consistently EXCELLENT as it used to be. I think the owner needs a good boot in the pants to restart the place. They do well, I have seen him more than once in his fully loaded Mercedes SUV (I mean Peter the custom plates are a DEAD GIVE AWAY lol)

Historically they have been tony the tiger style gggGGRRRRRRREEAaat!! But since around '07 in my opinion, food is a little more greasy, over cooked, served slowly and just generally down on the heels compared to the first few years. But I mean I still go and I still recommend it so maybe I'm a sucker for it :)

Pros: good food, variety of choice
Cons: tired look to the restaurant, menu needs a re-boot, more attention to quality

iwilldeny
iwilldeny

one of my favourites

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2010

I'm surprised that there is such a low rating for So Goods. It is one of my favourites and a favourite of many of my friends.

It is true that they have a huge menu and not all of it is good. But the dishes that are good are amazing! The staff is pretty good for recommendations. My personal favourites are: spring rolls, salt & pepper tofu, Wu Se Vegetables, General Tao's Tofu, Sweet & Sour Vegetables, and Noodles In So Good Sauce. Their Wu Se Vegetables have the best peanut sauce I've ever had.

It gets really busy in there sometimes, so takeout or reservations are a good idea.

Pros: Wu Se Vegetables, Salt & Pepper Tofu
Cons: huge menu, a lot of it not so good
SunflowerM
SunflowerM

Veg Friendly

4 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2009

As a vegetarian, I am always thrilled to find a restaurant with veg choices on the menu. This restaurant has an ENTIRE PAGE of veg choices! We ALWAYS order the Pepper Salt Tofu, the Eggplant with Black Bean Sauce and the Vegetarian Fried Rice. We also enjoy the Green Beans and the vegetarian noodle dishes. As mentioned in previous reviews, the surroundings are not the nicest... old dinette style tables and chairs, small, crowded room but the crowds of people who eat here obviously come for the food, not the decor!

Pros: Veg Food, Delicious Food, Choices
Cons: Decor
Parasol
Parasol

BIG Menu, Small quality

2 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2009

This restaurant would be much better off if they pared down their menu. Not only does their menu of hundreds of items leave the diners bewildered, but you have to go with a frequent diner or have some kind of special insight to sort through the menu to find something delicious. Much of it seems like the same dish with a slightly different sauce.

They offer a variety of Asian cuisines instead of picking the few they are good at and focusing on them. The food doesn't taste or look like high quality food.

The dining room is cramped and rather dingy. When I do get food from here, I opt for take-out.

Pros: Location, Price
Cons: Extensive, bewildering menu, Dining room is dingy/crowded
fangandclaw
fangandclaw

sooooo goooood

4 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2008

have been coming here for over ten years now even though im not in ottawa.....the food is always excellent!

Pros: many vegan dishes, well informed owner host, large menu
Cons: decor , small
katiebird
katiebird

Addictive food

4 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2008

I have mixed feelings about this place. On one hand, there are a few dishes that I am completely addicted to, it's really affordable, and the owner is really nice. On the other hand, I've had a few dodgy experiences there. But these were not the norm, thankfully. The Wu Se vegetable is really excellent, as is the vegetarian pad thai, the salt & pepper tofu (which is kinda like popcorn chicken style tofu?) and the eggplant in black bean sauce is amazing. And if you catch them on a night when they aren't busy, you can ask if they can make you fried bananas - a delicious dessert specialty. SO GOOD! They really are very veg friendly. So, despite a bit of sketchiness sometimes, plus the inevitable post-Chinese food tummyache (that I would get anywhere), I continue to go back.

Pros: some seriously amazing dishes, TONS of vegan options, Inexpensive
Cons: the occasional sketchy stuff
Lydia
Lydia

Both times!!!

2 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2008

Both times that I ate here I went home with a really bad tummy ache. I had the Eggplant with tofu cheese and the broccoli with ginger and garlic sauce. Although both were delicious, it most definitely wasn't worth the tummy ache afterwards!! I will not be returning to this one :(

Pros: Delicious, Great selection
Cons: Dirty atmosphere, Bad tummy ache
CharYvy
CharYvy

Pretty Yummy

3 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2008

I liked the food. It tasted kinda plain on its own, but its goo-ood with sauce.

Pros: Yummy, Vegan (many dishes available), Very quick (it was ready very fast)
Cons: Some dishes lack in flavour (just a bit), Some dishes are rather pricey
Carine
Carine
  • non-vegetarian

Hate it, got sick

1 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2008

I've been there once, the food was horrible and I got sick. So never again for me.

Cons: bad food
Lola Crumpet
Lola Crumpet

Awful

1 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2007

We have truly given So Good a good try, but there was old dried food on the wall (that sealed the deal for any future returns). When I graciously reqested its removal I was rebuffed.

Felt ill after eating there.

Pros: downtown
Cons: not clean, rude staff, horrid food

Dear Owner and Manager of So Good: