Smrat Pure Veg - 5th Floor

Upstairs restaurant run by vegetarians in the atmospheric Chun King Mansions. Punjabi, Jain food. Will make vegan dishes upon request. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Indian, Take-out
B-Block, 5th Floor, B-5, Chung King Mansion, 36-44 Nathan Road (Metro TST)
Kowloon, Hong Kong

Stevie
Stevie

Smrat Pure Veg (5th floor), Hong Kong

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2015

When I had dinner here I had an idea what to expect based on other comments. I agree with much of what has been said.

1stly it can be a little bit of a wait for the lift up / down. There is only 1 lift serves the 5th floor.

The location is in Chung King mansions which may not be everybody's bag. Similarly the decor in the restaurant isn't the reason why people go there, (it's very old and doesn't conjure images of spotlessness).

The 2 girls who were serving when I went, 1 of them was OK but the other looked like she really didn't want to work in the customer service business. I asked them for a recommendation from the menu. I was pointed at what appeared to be the most expensive item on the menu. It looks like they have a keen focus on profit.

I explained to them that I didn't want anything with milk products. Going by this is under the same management as the place on the ground floor where the manager is hostile about questions re milk products, I understand why a previous reviewer listed some concerns around the rigor they have in providing vegan food.

I ended up plumping for daal and 3 poories. The food was tasty without being anything super. It cost 92 honky bucks. Water is poor your own from jugs at the table.

Saravana on the 1st floor of this building has friendlier service and a good understanding of what veganism is. I'd go there ahead of this place any time.

Cons: Poor service
coldminnesotan
coldminnesotan

What you'd expect, but slightly better

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2015

I went here for lunch twice, both times ordering a lunch special. It's your standard Indian food fare, but slightly better, which, in my book, is delicious. One of the dishes were a little spicier than expected, which is fine by me. The staff were unusually friendly, but that might be because I have a long beard that they were curious about.

You have to ring the doorbell to get in.

Pros: Authentic, Good
Cons: Dirty bathroom
RovingRodent
RovingRodent

Cheap and tasty

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2013

Ate a really delicious paneer vindaloo (freshly made, light and not at all like the heavy, fatty dishes which I'm used to from elsewhere) with chapathi and paratha.

The restaurant is located in something resembling a private apartment, which I guess is usual for Chunking Mansions. Simple, but clean. The staff were friendly and there was a great Bollywood film running on the television.

aradhakr
aradhakr

Great simple vegetarian food

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2012

I found this place by accident and was glad I did. Very simple but tasty Indian vegetarian food. There is a nice Nepali guy who works there. Price was reasonable by Hong Kong standards. It is unfortunately located in a crappy building. No one would know that its there unless someone told you about it. The few times that I ate there I was alone so I don't know how they make money. Overall would highly recommend.

NOTE: There is actually another place called "Smrat" downstairs, I think they are affiliated. I didn't eat down there, it honestly did not look appetizing. The review above was mistakenly placed on the page for the place downstairs.

Updated from previous review on Sunday February 26, 2012

Pros: great food, not too pricey
Cons: bad location, difficult to find
watermeloun
watermeloun

traditionnal indian vegetarian "cantine"

Posted on 01 / 03 / 2012

That was the first vegetarian restaurant that I've been to in Hong Kong. It's perfect is you love indian food and have a limited budget.
The food is very traditionnal and fresh.
The place is definitly not fancy. I would say that it's more a cantine than a restaurant but the staff is very welcoming. That was a pure pleasure to talk with them for a while.

I recommend it if you're in the area.

Pros: fresh , traditionnal, cheap
Cons: cantine
emsoprano
emsoprano

delicious and authentic

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2011

I LOVE this place. I was transported back to when I was living in India. So wonderful. Very attentive and kind staff and the food is fresh and tasty. A little on the oily side but I love oil. They asked if I wanted my bhindi spicy and I said yes, but I didn't feel any heat whatsoever- but that's ok- the flavor was great. They are open somewhat late as far as I can tell. I was the only non-Indian in the little restaurant and there was a loud Indian news channel in Hindi blaring...but again, it brought me back to India, and I love that. :) The AC was blasting as well, so I was a bit cold, but I will bring a cardigan next time. I definitely will be coming back. They also have breakfast and lunch specials for cheap. I am not vegan any longer (after having lived in India) and saying that you are strict Jain still doesn't necessarily leave out milk products- cows are holy and the Jain food I ate in India always had ghee in it. Pure veg from an Indian standpoint really just means no meat and no eggs, not no milk product.

Pros: nice staff, great food, good value
Cons: cold AC
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

A good experience

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2011

Stiil very basic - they have their own market - folk who want very low priced Indian veg food.

Updated from previous review on Sunday July 08, 2007
Smrat is lacto-vegetarian. The staff do not retain in their memories the concept of vegan - on my last visit sfter a little explaining & some repetition the waiter almost "got" what vegan was - I had to add a little white lie about "milk allergy" for the point to fully sink in. Asking for "Jain food" does not usually work in Hong Kong as many of the local Jain's do eat milk products. The result was well worth the effort though - a plate of bindi (okra)perfectly cooked with fresh tomatoes well spiced - several chapati's - a simple bowl of freshly cut cucumber - a portion of very tasty lime pickle. Very satisfying. So I will be visiting again. The dining room is very simple - no frills whatsoever - it is a "canteen" visited mainly by some of the numerous Indian nationals who work in & around Chung King Mansions. As you walk towards the elevators in Block "B" you will be pestered by 3/4 touts promoting other dead flesh joints. It has not been redecorated in many years. Not a place for the "faint-hearted". Low prices. Adequate portions. Knowing a few words of Hindi / Bengali is an advantage. Take-away counter on the ground floor if you want to eat very quickly - see the other listing on the HappyCow Hong Kong Page.

Digital Ghost
Digital Ghost

Terrible unedible food

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2008

The food here was totally unedible.

It featured tinned vegetables, tomato ketchup and chapati with mould on.

When first asked they said it was vegan - however after paying they said they were unsure!

Cons: Unedible, tinned, mould
  • JohnnySensible JohnnySensible

Partly untrue.

They do not cook with tomato ketchup.

There is no possibility of mold on a chapati - they are freshly made.

Inedible - perhaps you could say 'not to my taste' - dozens of low budget travellers & locals eat here every single day.

Why should they know the word 'vegan'? - explain 'strict Jain' - no milk / cheese / butter / yoghurt.

Dear Owner and Manager of Smrat Pure Veg - 5th Floor: