Smith & Daughters is a vegan restaurant housed in an old pub and former Latin restaurant and maintains a Latin American theme and menu. Uses nut-based cheeses. A bit crowded tables and a high step to the toilets. Opened Mar 2014. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Latin American, Colombian

karlaess
karlaess

Mostly awesome

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2015

After around 4 visits to Smith and Daughters I feel this establishment mostly delivers on Vegan fare that is tasty, moderately priced and in an environment hip enough for the non-vegan folk to want to be seen in.

Standouts are the deliciously smokey Champinones al Ajillo and the (thankfully) not fishy Tuna & Green Pea Coquettas. There are several dishes on the menu which unfortunately miss the mark. On the last visit, my boyfriend and I tried different dishes to those previously enjoyed and were quite disappointed in the standard over all.

The cocktails are some of Melbourne's best, but on the pricey side.

The service is mostly upbeat and excellent.

_Alana
_Alana

Amazing Food

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2015

Finally got to visit Smith and Daughters on a trip over from Adelaide and it was well worth the wait. We were greeted by wonderfully friendly staff who were attentive and helpful the whole time. The food was just amazing. I'm already craving the garlic prawns again just days later. This place definitely lives up to the hype.

jesse558
jesse558

yum

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2015

Great price, great service, great food

Pros: good price, range of food items and beverages, cheekiness and nice layout

itzjac
itzjac

Epic!!!

Posted on 07 / 26 / 2015

I went here for dinner with my boyfriend and a friend and we were all blown away!! It was seriously delicious food!!

The staff were wonderful and friendly and the decor was great!

It is very busy so make sure you book for weekend nights.

Highly recommend and would definitely go back! They have recently opened another shop called 'Smith & Deli' and I am very much looking forward to my next trip to Melb to try it out as I've heard its amazing!!

Pros: Awesome food!, Friendly Staff!
chocoholicPhilosophe
chocoholicPhilosophe

Not quite up to expectations

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2015

I'd heard a lot of good things about this place, so I came in with pretty high expectations. It didn't quite meet them.

The atmosphere was great, and despite being seated at a shared table, we had enough space that my husband and I didn't feel much different in that regard than if we'd had a table to ourselves, and the staff were good.

However, the food, while tasty, wasn't, on the whole, anything remarkable. The queso dip was good, but the beans in it could have done with a little more flavour. The mushrooms were delicious. The roast potatoes had little crispy bits, but the whole potatoes themselves weren't crispy, though that could be a personal preference thing. The avocado ice-cream, while adventurous, was actually pretty ordinary and I didn't finish it, and the chocolate torte it came with was pretty ordinary as well. The pear crumble, however, was a wonderful example of taking an old favourite and tweaking it to make it new and interesting without losing the comforting charm.

Also, just a note about the booking system. When I tried to book, via the website, it didn't take any of my information, but told me it had made a booking. When I called, I found out that the booking hadn't been made. If the booking app isn't behaving itself properly, I think you might have more success searching for the restaurant on dimi website.

Pros: Pleasant atmosphere, All vegan
Cons: Booking system can be flaky, Hard to get a table
verbosity
verbosity

Generally impressive

Posted on 06 / 13 / 2015

Like many Vegans in the area I have eaten here a few times and am generally very impressed. Serving sizes and price are comparable and the food is generally of a high standard. The last time that I visited, the food was surprisingly fairly average.
Book ahead if planning to dine at night!

Pros: Different, Service/staff
Cons: Drinks Ka-ching
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Just go.

Posted on 05 / 31 / 2015

This is IMO the best vegan restaurant I've visited in Australia and does well against the best I've visited anywhere in the world.

Pros: Pretty much everything
Cons: Pretty much nothing
vegjimbo
vegjimbo

The best restaurant in Melbourne

Posted on 03 / 06 / 2015

The food and service at Smith and Daughters are amazing. A great example of what you get when you pay for quality. The dishes are genius; seriously, avocado icecream! The people clearly love what they do and I'll keep going back again and again.

Pros: All vegan, Brilliant food, Licensed
jre8995
jre8995

exciting, different, flavoursome

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2015

amazing place that features some v different and exciting food ideas, well presented and full of flavour
our friends loved the tuna and pea croquettes, but i thought they were a bit boring
the brocoli and cauliflower thing was good, as were the morcilla, mushrooms in sherry sauce and the coriander/chilli martinis
only quibbles - expensive and very noisy - but as there aren't really enough greens on offer, it get good rather than excellent
having said that, this is a must go place - needs to be supported and encouraged as really exciting

Pros: exciting ideas, full of flavour
Cons: expensive, not enough greens / veggies
kwanza
kwanza

Outstanding restaurant

Posted on 01 / 30 / 2015

Outstanding restaurant. Every dish we had was excellent. Interesting and varied menu. The mushroom pate (served with crisp bread, gherkins and caper berries) were a particular highlight. High quality vegan desserts. Friendly staff and prices and pretty reasonable by Melbourne standards.

I had no bad experiences whatsoever with this place. Highly recommended.

Pros: Quality of food, Friendly staff, Imaginative menu
Discerning Eye
Discerning Eye

Finally, Vegan Fine Dining at its best!

Posted on 01 / 23 / 2015

Simply put, this is the best vegan food I've had in my life. The faux prawns are to die for.

ShelleyWilliams
ShelleyWilliams

Unbelievable - PERFECTION!

Posted on 12 / 08 / 2014

I cannot recommend this place enough - just perfect and reasonably priced! BOOK a table! You'll need to - everyone wants to go here, and with good reason. My god - the food is to die for!!

Pros: Excellent atmosphere, Wonderful staff, AMAAAAAZING food!!
Nibs
Nibs

Best chirozo I've had

Posted on 12 / 04 / 2014

Perhaps the best chirozo on the planet. I was in a hurry and couldn't order as many things as I wanted, but the salad was excellent and so was the vegetable juice. The staff were friendly and the place was lively.

Pros: Wonderful food, Friendly staff, Lively
chrisnworb
chrisnworb

Vegan with A Difference FANTASTIC!

Posted on 11 / 26 / 2014

Visted S&D for the first time tonight with my lovely lady, the staff were amazing, especially out waiteress Charlie, We had the Cashew, cheese, salsa and black bean dip and shared the garlic prawns (faux) the texture was amazing and the taste even better and the blood sausage, this also had a beautiful flavour, we let Charlie choose our deserts to share; donuts with jam and Pina Colada cake.... Wow!
This restaurant is a MUST visit, I'll be back for sure

Pros: Great Food, Fantastic Staff, Amazing Eue For Details
Tiggy
Tiggy

It's all in the detail

Posted on 11 / 15 / 2014

I came here this weekend because my sister was visiting Melbourne and I wanted to take her to a new restaurant. S&D has changed since I last reviewed it so I thought it was time for an update. Contrary to what I used to think, I now believe you can have a decent meal for a reasonable price here (although I have still on one occasion ended up spending $32 on an omelette and a smoothie here). The menu consists mainly of shared dishes and tapas items. The restaurant's strength is still its attention - to detail and to you. Your water glass will never be empty, with staff continuously circulating to make themselves available. There were four of us on this occasion and we ordered shared dishes: a couple of my staples, the layered queso dip with corn chips and the mushroom pâté with crisp bread and gherkins; and new for me, the tartare, the potato salad and the vegan blood sausage, all around $15.The queso is very good and savoury with its base of black beans. The pâté is delicious and intense but there's never enough bread and you have to order more. I was less impressed with the tartare, which didn't seem to have lot of flavour. The potato salad was OK but not exciting. The 'blood sausage', which I was initially apprehensive about, had the texture of a loaf or cake and was on the sweet side. The main expense of the evening was the wine and unfortunately the staff got this wrong twice but, to be fair, I didn't pick up on it until afterwards. All of us chose the chocolate molé cheesecake for dessert and it was nice but not as good as other vegan cheesecakes I've had (and not very much like a conventional cheesecake). Other dishes I like that I didn't have this time are the potato tortilla and the tuna and green pea croquettas, nicely flavoured and both immaculately served on a board with a smear of creamy sauce. It's still hard to get a table, so book well in advance, although you can sometimes walk in and get a seat at the communal table or bar.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 26, 2014

Pros: Totally vegan, Interesting and creative food, Attention to detail and patron
Cons: At least some dishes a bit pricy for the size
Valen Rivas
Valen Rivas

Best vegan restaurant, best people!

Posted on 11 / 15 / 2014

Excellent place, original vegan menu and nice atmosphere! Beautiful sunday brunch. Lovely and caring staff. I would totally recommend this place.

Pros: original and tasty food
Cons: a bit expensive... but totally worth it!
Purpledonna
Purpledonna

Best vegan restaurant!

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2014

The food here is exceptional and the staff are incredible. I've been here a number of times now as it's simply my favourite restaurant ever. The flavours these guys use are amazing and as a result the dishes are like nothing you've ever had before.

This is definitely a place to take your vegan curious friends who are unsure about just how amazing vegan food can be.

I wholeheartedly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Melbourne.

Pros: Incredible food & cocktails
Cons: Can be super busy so book ahead.
Fred Phillips
Fred Phillips

Highly recommended

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2014

Went here a couple of months back. I think this is Melbourne's only completely vegan restaurant. It has a kind of rock'n'rolly bar sort of vibe and is pretty loud, so bear that in mind.

Food is absolute quality, without blowing your mind. A range of dishes, some with mock meat and some not. We had a chorizo dish which was great, the tuna croquettes (really impressive) and the Mexican combo thing that comes in the edible bowl (good). We only got the bowl thing because they messed up our paella. This was disappointing, but at least they were honest with us. The manager came out and told us she would rather not serve us something half-assed and that they were sorry. It wasn't a big deal and they had been super-busy that night. We also had cocktails which were very good.

Prices are reasonable. Not expensive by any means. Dishes tend to be smallish, so err on the side of more if anything. No real cons I can think of. I definitely look forward to going here again.

Pros: All vegan, Quality dishes, Good service
Cons: Hipster factor through the roof
Cynthia1998
Cynthia1998

Amazing!

Posted on 08 / 02 / 2014

This is by far the best vegan South American restaurant I've been to, and maybe even the best vegan restaurant! The food is divine, especially the vegan molten lava cake with cinnamon ice cream, made freshly for you! The atmosphere is great and the staff are super friendly and always willing to help. The amount of thought that went into Smiths & Daughters is what makes this restaurant so special! I loved the decor and it fits perfectly on Brunswick st. in Fitzroy. I really hope I can go back again!

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly cool staff, Great value
Cons: Noisy
Dawson1303
Dawson1303

Exceptional customer service, concept and food

Posted on 05 / 18 / 2014

I have eaten dinner at Smith & Daughters twice in the last month and was impressed in every respect on both occasions. The all vegan menu is such a treat, with imaginative, unique and very tasty meals on offer. From the starters menu, I really enjoyed the mushrooms, croquettes and potato dishes. I really enjoyed the presentation, variety, size and taste of the large taco dish in particular. Perhaps the most outstanding aspect is the friendly and extremely attentive service offered by all staff, which is a rarity in Australia these days. This place obviously makes a concerted effort to offer quality service over quantity of custom, unlike some of the other veggie bars further up the street.

Pros: Exceptional service, All vegan, Imaginative menu
Cons: Very popular
Kittybiscuit
Kittybiscuit

Lovely attentive staff and tasty food

Posted on 04 / 04 / 2014

I went with friends and we chose to pick some small plates to share. We chose guacamole to eat with our cocktails, all of which were very tasty. We also shared the tortilla, tamales, potatas con chorizo and the champinones dish. I really enjoyed all of them but preferred the less "meaty" type dishes but my meat eating friends loved the mushrooms particularly. We also shared the desserts, a flan, doughnuts, and a chocolate tart. The avocado ice cream served with the chocolate tart was amazing. The chocolate tart would probably be too sweet as a full dessert and is recommend sharing.
I can't say enough good things about the staff. They were helpful, attentive and so nice! It was a Friday night and busy but the food came out quickly and we didn't need to wait for staff. It was a bit noisy, but that can be said of any restaurant.
We were all so full after our meals And we will definitely be going back!

Pros: staff!, almond milk (yum), tasty food

Dear Owner and Manager of Smith and Daughters: