Smith & Daughters is a vegan restaurant housed in an old pub and former Latin restaurant and maintains a Latin American theme and menu. Uses nut-based cheeses. A bit crowded tables and a high step to the toilets. Opened Mar 2014. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, Latin American, Colombian, Mexican, Juice bar, Beer/Wine

Cynthia1998
Cynthia1998

Amazing!

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2014

This is by far the best vegan South American restaurant I've been to, and maybe even the best vegan restaurant! The food is divine, especially the vegan molten lava cake with cinnamon ice cream, made freshly for you! The atmosphere is great and the staff are super friendly and always willing to help. The amount of thought that went into Smiths & Daughters is what makes this restaurant so special! I loved the decor and it fits perfectly on Brunswick st. in Fitzroy. I really hope I can go back again!

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly cool staff, Great value
Cons: Noisy
Dawson1303
Dawson1303

Exceptional customer service, concept and food

5 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2014

I have eaten dinner at Smith & Daughters twice in the last month and was impressed in every respect on both occasions. The all vegan menu is such a treat, with imaginative, unique and very tasty meals on offer. From the starters menu, I really enjoyed the mushrooms, croquettes and potato dishes. I really enjoyed the presentation, variety, size and taste of the large taco dish in particular. Perhaps the most outstanding aspect is the friendly and extremely attentive service offered by all staff, which is a rarity in Australia these days. This place obviously makes a concerted effort to offer quality service over quantity of custom, unlike some of the other veggie bars further up the street.

Pros: Exceptional service, All vegan, Imaginative menu
Cons: Very popular
Kittybiscuit
Kittybiscuit

Lovely attentive staff and tasty food

5 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2014

I went with friends and we chose to pick some small plates to share. We chose guacamole to eat with our cocktails, all of which were very tasty. We also shared the tortilla, tamales, potatas con chorizo and the champinones dish. I really enjoyed all of them but preferred the less "meaty" type dishes but my meat eating friends loved the mushrooms particularly. We also shared the desserts, a flan, doughnuts, and a chocolate tart. The avocado ice cream served with the chocolate tart was amazing. The chocolate tart would probably be too sweet as a full dessert and is recommend sharing.
I can't say enough good things about the staff. They were helpful, attentive and so nice! It was a Friday night and busy but the food came out quickly and we didn't need to wait for staff. It was a bit noisy, but that can be said of any restaurant.
We were all so full after our meals And we will definitely be going back!

Pros: staff!, almond milk (yum), tasty food

Tiggy
Tiggy

Delicious things come in small servings

4 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2014

It doesn't seem to have taken this place long to become huge. It's no surprise, given that it's in a prime spot on Brunswick Street, but clearly a lot of thought (and money) has gone into the venture. It's exciting to have a new and interesting eatery that's completely vegan. The restaurant is located in an old bar with stone walls and an ornate shop front. This has been added to with simple modern pine fittings and renovations and this applies to tables, toilets and the lower walls of the dining area. There are little signature flourishes, such as the ampersand (&) on the stools (taken from the name), the black serviettes and the staff t-shirts. There is also a wall with eclectic/street art hung on it. The atmosphere is lively and vibrant and the place was absolutely packed on the Sunday evening we went and we ended up sitting at a communal table, so bookings are advised. The place is busy, so you will probably do some waiting and our order took 20-30 minutes to arrive. We started off with two mains to share: the Taco meal (three tacos selected from three varieties) and Chiles Rellenos (chargrilled peppers stuffed with chipotle cream cheese). The mushroom taco was absolutely delicious with savoury and fresh flavours that I found immaculate. The chorizo and potato variety was also nice and subtly tangy. The problem was that the serving size was very small for $14. This dish was on the 'Large Plates' menu but was more like a starter. The peppers were also tasty - battered and mildly spicy. Alas, after these two mains we were still hungry, which was a bit disappointing. Not in the mood for dessert, we ordered something from the 'Small Plate' menu: (three) Tuna and Green Pea Croquettas. These were satisfying, with a crispy outer and a creamy (perhaps slightly pasty) filling, which my non-vegan partner thought was sufficiently like tuna. Smith & Daughters scores points for culinary subtleties and attention to detail and it seems like this may be what you're paying for. Our bill came to $57 for the dishes mentioned above. Although the price of a main is only at the higher end of reasonable, the amount on your plate may leave you wanting.

Pros: Totally vegan, Interesting and creative food, Attention to detail
Cons: At least some dishes a bit pricy for the size

Dear Owner and Manager of Smith and Daughters: