Smith & Daughters is a vegan restaurant housed in an old pub and former Latin restaurant and maintains a Latin American theme and menu. Uses nut-based cheeses. A bit crowded tables and a high step to the toilets. Opened Mar 2014. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, Latin American, Colombian, Mexican, Juice bar, Beer/Wine

ShelleyWilliams
ShelleyWilliams

Unbelievable - PERFECTION!

Posted on 12 / 08 / 2014

I cannot recommend this place enough - just perfect and reasonably priced! BOOK a table! You'll need to - everyone wants to go here, and with good reason. My god - the food is to die for!!

Pros: Excellent atmosphere, Wonderful staff, AMAAAAAZING food!!
Nibs
Nibs

Best chirozo I've had

Posted on 12 / 04 / 2014

Perhaps the best chirozo on the planet. I was in a hurry and couldn't order as many things as I wanted, but the salad was excellent and so was the vegetable juice. The staff were friendly and the place was lively.

Pros: Wonderful food, Friendly staff, Lively
chrisnworb
chrisnworb

Vegan with A Difference FANTASTIC!

Posted on 11 / 26 / 2014

Visted S&D for the first time tonight with my lovely lady, the staff were amazing, especially out waiteress Charlie, We had the Cashew, cheese, salsa and black bean dip and shared the garlic prawns (faux) the texture was amazing and the taste even better and the blood sausage, this also had a beautiful flavour, we let Charlie choose our deserts to share; donuts with jam and Pina Colada cake.... Wow!
This restaurant is a MUST visit, I'll be back for sure

Pros: Great Food, Fantastic Staff, Amazing Eue For Details

Tiggy
Tiggy

It's all in the detail

Posted on 11 / 15 / 2014

I came here this weekend because my sister was visiting Melbourne and I wanted to take her to a new restaurant. S&D has changed since I last reviewed it so I thought it was time for an update. Contrary to what I used to think, I now believe you can have a decent meal for a reasonable price here (although I have still on one occasion ended up spending $32 on an omelette and a smoothie here). The menu consists mainly of shared dishes and tapas items. The restaurant's strength is still its attention - to detail and to you. Your water glass will never be empty, with staff continuously circulating to make themselves available. There were four of us on this occasion and we ordered shared dishes: a couple of my staples, the layered queso dip with corn chips and the mushroom pâté with crisp bread and gherkins; and new for me, the tartare, the potato salad and the vegan blood sausage, all around $15.The queso is very good and savoury with its base of black beans. The pâté is delicious and intense but there's never enough bread and you have to order more. I was less impressed with the tartare, which didn't seem to have lot of flavour. The potato salad was OK but not exciting. The 'blood sausage', which I was initially apprehensive about, had the texture of a loaf or cake and was on the sweet side. The main expense of the evening was the wine and unfortunately the staff got this wrong twice but, to be fair, I didn't pick up on it until afterwards. All of us chose the chocolate molé cheesecake for dessert and it was nice but not as good as other vegan cheesecakes I've had (and not very much like a conventional cheesecake). Other dishes I like that I didn't have this time are the potato tortilla and the tuna and green pea croquettas, nicely flavoured and both immaculately served on a board with a smear of creamy sauce. It's still hard to get a table, so book well in advance, although you can sometimes walk in and get a seat at the communal table or bar.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 26, 2014

Pros: Totally vegan, Interesting and creative food, Attention to detail and patron
Cons: At least some dishes a bit pricy for the size
Valen Rivas
Valen Rivas

Best vegan restaurant, best people!

Posted on 11 / 15 / 2014

Excellent place, original vegan menu and nice atmosphere! Beautiful sunday brunch. Lovely and caring staff. I would totally recommend this place.

Pros: original and tasty food
Cons: a bit expensive... but totally worth it!
Purpledonna
Purpledonna

Best vegan restaurant!

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2014

The food here is exceptional and the staff are incredible. I've been here a number of times now as it's simply my favourite restaurant ever. The flavours these guys use are amazing and as a result the dishes are like nothing you've ever had before.

This is definitely a place to take your vegan curious friends who are unsure about just how amazing vegan food can be.

I wholeheartedly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Melbourne.

Pros: Incredible food & cocktails
Cons: Can be super busy so book ahead.
Fred Phillips
Fred Phillips

Highly recommended

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2014

Went here a couple of months back. I think this is Melbourne's only completely vegan restaurant. It has a kind of rock'n'rolly bar sort of vibe and is pretty loud, so bear that in mind.

Food is absolute quality, without blowing your mind. A range of dishes, some with mock meat and some not. We had a chorizo dish which was great, the tuna croquettes (really impressive) and the Mexican combo thing that comes in the edible bowl (good). We only got the bowl thing because they messed up our paella. This was disappointing, but at least they were honest with us. The manager came out and told us she would rather not serve us something half-assed and that they were sorry. It wasn't a big deal and they had been super-busy that night. We also had cocktails which were very good.

Prices are reasonable. Not expensive by any means. Dishes tend to be smallish, so err on the side of more if anything. No real cons I can think of. I definitely look forward to going here again.

Pros: All vegan, Quality dishes, Good service
Cons: Hipster factor through the roof
Cynthia1998
Cynthia1998

Amazing!

Posted on 08 / 02 / 2014

This is by far the best vegan South American restaurant I've been to, and maybe even the best vegan restaurant! The food is divine, especially the vegan molten lava cake with cinnamon ice cream, made freshly for you! The atmosphere is great and the staff are super friendly and always willing to help. The amount of thought that went into Smiths & Daughters is what makes this restaurant so special! I loved the decor and it fits perfectly on Brunswick st. in Fitzroy. I really hope I can go back again!

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly cool staff, Great value
Cons: Noisy
Dawson1303
Dawson1303

Exceptional customer service, concept and food

Posted on 05 / 18 / 2014

I have eaten dinner at Smith & Daughters twice in the last month and was impressed in every respect on both occasions. The all vegan menu is such a treat, with imaginative, unique and very tasty meals on offer. From the starters menu, I really enjoyed the mushrooms, croquettes and potato dishes. I really enjoyed the presentation, variety, size and taste of the large taco dish in particular. Perhaps the most outstanding aspect is the friendly and extremely attentive service offered by all staff, which is a rarity in Australia these days. This place obviously makes a concerted effort to offer quality service over quantity of custom, unlike some of the other veggie bars further up the street.

Pros: Exceptional service, All vegan, Imaginative menu
Cons: Very popular
Kittybiscuit
Kittybiscuit

Lovely attentive staff and tasty food

Posted on 04 / 04 / 2014

I went with friends and we chose to pick some small plates to share. We chose guacamole to eat with our cocktails, all of which were very tasty. We also shared the tortilla, tamales, potatas con chorizo and the champinones dish. I really enjoyed all of them but preferred the less "meaty" type dishes but my meat eating friends loved the mushrooms particularly. We also shared the desserts, a flan, doughnuts, and a chocolate tart. The avocado ice cream served with the chocolate tart was amazing. The chocolate tart would probably be too sweet as a full dessert and is recommend sharing.
I can't say enough good things about the staff. They were helpful, attentive and so nice! It was a Friday night and busy but the food came out quickly and we didn't need to wait for staff. It was a bit noisy, but that can be said of any restaurant.
We were all so full after our meals And we will definitely be going back!

Pros: staff!, almond milk (yum), tasty food

Dear Owner and Manager of Smith and Daughters: