Sluggo's North Vegetarian Cafe

Serving vegan food in Chattanooga since late 2009. Sandwiches, nachos, seitan and tofu clubs, philly, BBQ tofu, cajun carrot cakes, pot stickers, hummus, cheeky wings, mashed potatoes, and more. Simple atmosphere with some tables and a bar. Different theme nights like movie pizza night. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Southern, American, Beer/Wine, Catering, Take-out

First Review by dev-null
meanstringbean
meanstringbean

Great food

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2014

Sluggos has great food really cool atmosphere and a n amazing location. Sunday brunch is fantastic

Pros: good food , good beer seliction
Cons: they serve Guiness
jasantacruz
jasantacruz

Perfect for Lunch

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2014

My husband and I were visiting from Atlanta and stopped at Sluggo's for lunch. We loved both of our dishes and beer. The restaurant is quaint, with plenty of seating for a lunch crowd. It was easy to find and right down the road from one of the best Whole Foods we've been to. Loved it and definitely recommend Sluggo's to anyone!

Pros: Easy to find, Delicious food and beer, Easy parking
Cons: Ramp from major highway closed, Bathroom lighting is a little dark
bluzer
bluzer

Amazing!

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2014

Never imagined to find such a gem in Chattanooga :)

Pros: Food, Price, Atitude
Cons: Comfort, Location
daxamillion
daxamillion

Vegan Comfort Food At Its Best!

5 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2014

I eat here at least once a week, and I never get tired of it. If it is your first time, I highly recommend trying one of the daily specials. All of my favs have been the special of the day, like the curried "chicken" salad wrap and their dumpling trio. The zucchini cakes are out of this world, and their Sunday brunch menu is worth waiting all week for. I highly recommend this place for anyone, vegan or not.

ellbee
ellbee

First Time Here - Happy, Happy, Happy

5 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2013

Had lentil soup, tacos & oatmeal/raspberry bar. Everything was delicious & filling. Only small suggestion is to put more seasoning in the black beans that come w the taco dinner. Paid $16 & really happy w the meal. Good parking options when I was there.

veggieclaire
veggieclaire

Great food

5 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2013

All vegan place that will surely satisfy omnivores too. Very extensive and delicious menu.

Pros: all vegan, extensive menu
Raesock
Raesock

Would drive two hours for lunch

4 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

My husband and I LOVE Sluggo's! We've driven down from Nashville just for lunch! I always get the Culture Club with a side of beans and a salad with their tahini dressing. I've tried to recreate it at home but it is never just right. The sandwich is delicious too. Before going vegan a club was one of my go too menu items, so it is fun to have a place to get a good, compassionate one. My only complaint is that the guy taking our order (it has always been the same one) seems annoyed that we are in the restaurant. I promise we are not demanding or rude, and we've never been there when it is busy. It is kind of a turn off, but once those plates hit the table, all is forgiven. I wish they would open a Nashville location!

Pros: great food, tahini dressing
Cons: service
RachaelSera
RachaelSera

some good food items, but greasy atmosphere

3 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2013

The Pesto Bruschetta was delicious. Great tasting bread and toppings.

The Pecan Dusted Seitan served over mashed potatoes with gray was unique and delicious. However, the other sides with it were lackluster. The cornbread was dry and flavorless (inedible). The greens were bitter and acidic. I wish I could have gotten just the seitan and potatoes and gravy.

The Soy Taco plate was... not very taco-y. I've had TVP tacos that remind me of tacos, but this reminded me more of a salad. It was very pretty. But the taste just wasn't there. (should have tried a sandwich instead, as those have some good reviews)

The service/atmosphere was... not the best. You order at the counter and they bring the food to your table. You pour your own drinks, but the pitcher of iced tea was empty after 1 glass, so we weren't able to get any refills. The ventilation in there was really bad too. We smelled of smoke and grease after leaving -- kinda gross!

In the end, I'm glad we stopped there while traveling through, as the bruschetta and seitan were worth it. If I lived in the area, though, this wouldn't be a place I'd frequent.

Cons: greasy atmosphere, drink station not kept up
Tunasam
Tunasam

Best place in town

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

Always friendly, always fresh, always delicious. I eat here at least once a week, and love that there is no question to what I can and can't eat. Try the sweet Thai chili bowl, pecan dusted seitan, or one of their unique specials. Zucchini cakes are a must to start with!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 07, 2013

Pros: everything
Cons: none
thebonz95
thebonz95

absolutely fab-U-lous!!!

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2013

The flavors were surprisingly good (said by a meat eater), portions were tremendous, and Chattanooga pilsner was fantastic. We were both very satisfied. And we highly recommend this place for anyone who likes to eat. Everything was so fresh and flavorful, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you are in Chattanooga area without giving this place a try!!!!

Pros: flavor, quality, portions
Cons: none, absolutely none!
WarnerRobins
WarnerRobins

You've come to the right place!

5 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2013

My family of 5 ate here on March 11, 2013 for my husband's birthday. I was so nice. They even gave my husband a slice of cake free. The service is excellent and the staff is very friendly. We all can't wait to come back!!! The only bad thing is that one of my daughters has a Severe peanut allergy so I'd like to see all common allergens clearly marked on are products. Some of the desserts I didn't know if they contained peanuts so I just skipped them for her.

Pros: All vegan choices, Large portions, Economical
Cons: Allergens should be marked on all foods, Poor Beverage choices
no whey!
no whey!

Insanely Good

5 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2012

I have to admit that I ate here two days in a row, it was so good. Their sandwiches, sides, plates, ALL of it is delicious! They have a wide variety of veg dishes and huge portions. Rich flavors and colorful salads. I'd come back tomorrow if I were still going to be in town. A vegan must.

Pros: huge portions, savory, green
Cons: sticky cups
vaieen
vaieen

My Favorite Restaurant in Chatt

5 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2012

I come here every week. I love this place so much. I have tried different dishes every time I visited and was NEVER disappointed. For the first time customer I recommend the walnut burger! Great spice and fresh. For the appetizer order the zucchini grizzled cakes. DELICIOUS.

Pros: AMAZING foods, relaxing and casual , Again, amazing!
Cons: NONE:)
todd.henry
todd.henry

awesome!

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

I came to chattanooga to visit some non-veg friends. I found Sluggos on Happy Cow and we went there to eat, everyone loved it. highly recommended for vegans and non vegans alike

Pros: excellent food
Cons: none
squabattack
squabattack

The very best. Seriously!

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2012

While visiting Chattanooga, my boyfriend and I visited here. We ordered two sandwiches with sides, the seitan wings as an appetizer, and a chocolate chip bar.... All for $25! And it was all superb. I highly recommend it!

Pros: inexpensive, DELICIOUS, Great food options
Cons: none!
aadams1217
aadams1217

• non-vegetarian

a-ma-zing

5 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2012

Went to the Sluggo's in Pensacola, Fla., a year ago and as soon as I saw there was one in Chat. I knew I'd have to visit. Absolutely delicious. The philly cheesesteak is the bomb. I swear I could give this sandwich to my parents (meat-eaters) and they wouldn't be able to tell the difference!

Pros: freshness, price, chill people
warino
warino

Gloriously delicious vegan country / junk food

5 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2012

We stopped at Sluggo's on our trip home from Florida. Worth the detour! Inspired, delicious diner food, no death involved! We had the Berliner, which was a vegan Reuben. Words cannot aptly describe the feeling biting into a Reuben so gooey with cheese, messy with kraut, and stuffed with faux roast beef. We also shared the pecan crusted seitan and mashed potatoes covered in mushroom gravy. Pretty darn close to the best vegan chik*n fried steak in the country (the best is still the Chicago Diner). The portions were huge, the ambience deliciously dive-y, the staff very tattooed but friendly, the prices very reasonable. Highly recommended!! Someone should tell Guy Fieri about Sluggo's!

Pros: Food, Price/Value, Cool dive ambience
Cons: It's in Chattanooga
TytaniumK
TytaniumK

First Time Customer

5 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2011

Outstanding Food. Great Prices. Large Portions. Even my wife, who is NON-VEGAN enjoyed the NACHOS. I had the Black Bean Burrito sans cheese & a side-order of Garlic Potatoes in Mushroom Gravy! Super! I/We will return again. Only VEGAN restaurant I've found within 50-miles of Fort Payne, AL. . Kudos. 5-stars in my opinion! ;-))

Pros: Selection, Price, Portion Size
Cons: Distance, Gas Money, Time
  • TytaniumK TytaniumK

I still frequent Sluggo's but only about once monthly--or less--mostly due to distance. I do love their PECAN DUSTED SEITAN [PDS] most & usually have it every time. Yeah, I'm a man, and a creature of habit. 5 stars on PDS & highly recommend....but save some for me~LOL....Ty-K

veganwally
veganwally

Lucky people

5 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2011

Chattanooga is very lucky to have such a fine vegan restaurant like this there. If I lived there I would be there almost daily. I loved the "Tofu Scramble" and the price.

peechdoctor
peechdoctor

awesome all around!! :-D

5 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2011

very homey cozy cafe atmosphere with beautiful artwork on the walls, very eclectic decor with lots to look at and talk about!! the menu is VERY exciting with lots of wonderful choices!! my five year old loved it, as did me and my husband. The food was sooooo delicious, served beatifully, and very timely!! Sluggo's will be a regular for us from now on!! ya GOTTA try the potstickers!!! yummmmy!!! any place that has yeast flakes in a shaker and agave as a sweetner has GOT to be good!!

Pros: everything!
Cons: none!!
veejae
veejae

An wonderful experience

5 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2011

I have eaten at Sluggo's several and have enjoyed the food and the experience every time. The food is great even to my non-veg friends and the staff was extremely nice. I love eating there.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: lumpy seats!
tempest
tempest

Damn good food, but questionable staff.

4 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2010

In response to "does this item contain soy?", the waiter responded "soy, is that like ... um ... gluten free?" I wouldn't think twice about this response at a normal restaurant, but for a vegan one, this is unacceptable.

That said, the food is top notch, especially the pecan encrusted seitan steak.

Pros: fantastic food, atmosphere, beer selection
Cons: ill-informed staff, a little pricey
johoy
johoy

Sluggo's Packs Whallop

5 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2010

I have only been a vegan for about 6 weeks, so I have not tried a whole lot of places yet, but this restaurant was so good, even meat-eaters would love it. I had a faux-reuben sandwich and collard greens that were out of this world. I'd recommend it to anyone, vegetarian, vegan or not.

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy cuisine, Huge portions
Cons: Weird hours, Excellent food, Huge portions!
Rambling Woman
Rambling Woman

MOST AWESOME VEGAN FOOD EVER

5 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2010

The mashed potatoes, gravy, hot wings, all of it---totally amazing. Best vegan carrot cake (or any variety of carrot cake for that matter) I have ever had. SUPER friendly staff, adorable. Yum. Yum. Triple-yum.

Pros: Delicious, All Vegan!, Cute!
dev-null
dev-null

Nice place.

4 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2009

Nice place. The food was enjoyable. The beer selection was limited, but there were a couple of nice beers. The service was good and friendly. The food came in a timely fashion. The environment is basic and parking is tight. We will be going back there.

Dear Owner and Manager of Sluggo's North Vegetarian Cafe: