Originally established in the 1970s. Extensive all-vegetarian food menu with pizza, burgers, hot dogs, salads, and plates with tofu/tempeh/seitan. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, American, Pizza, Italian, Mexican
6970 McKinley St (downtown Sebastopol)
Sebastopol, California 95472
707-829-6627
Closed now

Tue-Thu 11:00am-9:00pm, Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat 9:00am-10:00pm, Sun 9:00am-9:00pm

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Qdebra7
Seahorsea
Seahorsea

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2014

I really enjoy this place a lot. Nice portions, fresh ingredients, many choices, variety, specials....it's all been good.
Highlights for me are the shakes- carob date with cashew milk.....yes, please!!!!
A had an amazing special one time which was a grilled tempeh dish served with wasabi mashed potatoes, miso-mushroom gravy and a pile of cooked kale. It was absolutely perfect.

The gluten-free goat cheese pizza was very small, but hit the spot with a small salad, the salad was better than expected and the dressing was good! Tahini I believe.

All in all, Yum. I will be back!

Pros: good sized portions, date shakes, clean food
annice
annice

No lasagna!

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2013

We ate lunch here on our way north. I was looking forward to the lasagna, and was disappointed to find that it was finished, even though it was still early in the day. I settled for the pasta privavera instead, which was very good. My companion had pizza, a thin crusted variety. I tasted a piece and found it satisfactory, though dairy mozzarella would have been better than the soy mozzarella that he requested.

Another disappointment came when we asked for a brownie for dessert. We were told that they no longer served these, though they still appeared on the printed menu.

The staff was very friendly, and we shmoozed with the owner for a while.

Pros: good food, friendly staff
Cons: not all menu items available
rwalker
rwalker

What A Great Find!!!

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

We've eaten here 3 times so far. We're going again tonight! We just found the place a couple weeks ago. Absolutely Love the food, the people, and the atmosphere!!!

Pros: Food, Service, Atmosphere
Cons: Limited Seating, Parking

shsmile23
shsmile23

First timer had good luck!

Posted on 01 / 19 / 2013

We are visiting the area and were happy to come across Slice of Life...mostly vegan with a few options that can come with dairy cheese. I had the pesto pizza and side salad which were yummy; my companion had the tempeh BBQ burger and garlic fries. He's not vegan but was happy with his meal. I had the chocolate date shake for dessert which was awsesome! He had the pear crisp which was also very good. Only compliant would be there is too much to choose from...should pair down the choices some. Would definitely go back and try other things.

Pros: mostly vegan, desserts, great service
Cons: too many choices
pentagoth79
pentagoth79

Best pesto pizza ever!

Posted on 04 / 08 / 2012

I've loved everything that I've had here, but the pesto pizza is my favorite and they do all thei slices by the slice which is good because all of their portions are very generous.
The chocolate date shake is really good but sometimes the dates are a little chunky. Their weekend breakfast selection is really nice. I don't even live in California but I got their frequent customer card because I go there so often when I'm visiting.
Great service and funky atmosphere. Love it!

Pros: Pesto pizza, Lots of vegan options, Great drinks
Cons: Serves eggs and dairy
teal_ocean
teal_ocean

Great Place

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2011

We had a great meal, enjoyed the scene and had friendly service. The fries and tofu egg sald were the bomb. Can't go wrong eating here if you're veg or vegan

Pros: Clean, Outdoor seating, Good prices
Cons: Some menu items hit or miss
vegboy2009
vegboy2009

Best pizzaria EVER

Posted on 01 / 29 / 2011

Pizza was great. Sandwiches were great. The hero was a hero! And if you must try the carob date shake. The service was great here, although they were very busy, and all the different things we tried were spectacular. One of the best dining experiences while driving up the coast.

Pros: Excellent food., Fantastic selection., Friendly service.
Cons: So good, so also too crowded
deannafitzgerald
deannafitzgerald

A really nice surprise

Posted on 05 / 05 / 2010

When you see it, it looks like an old pizzeria, so you don't expect much when you walk inside. We had breakfast there both days we were in Sebastopol and it was great. They have a tofu omelette, which is unusual and the servers were incredibly friendly. The waffles and pancakes weren't my favorite: the waffle was just the right size, but kind of hard; and the pancakes were a little dryer than I would have liked. But the tofu omelette (I had the Greek, which had black and green olives-yum), the potatoes and even the toast were really yummy. The have soy cheese for us vegans too, which is so much better then most places that make it vegan by just leaving off the cheese. Our only regret was that we weren't able to go back for dinner to try some of those air fries!

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food, great location
Nan Sea Love
Nan Sea Love

Good food in a great location

Posted on 03 / 14 / 2010

The food is really good and the area alive with energy and creativity. The walls are often adorned with delightful art. And the staff is friendly and helpful. After enjoying a wide variety of vegan or vegetarian foods, you can stroll through downtown Sebastopol and enjoy the many shops.

Pros: Good local, good food, organic available
Cons: small, Heavy traffic, parking can be problem
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

One of my favorite places EVER! fat free fries!!!

Posted on 09 / 20 / 2009

OMG, its like a dream come true! I can eat french fries! I guess they should call them french bakes instead of fried! Its so wonderful to find a place that understands oil is poison and just instantly stores on your body resulting in the overweight epidemic in the world. I was like a kid in a candy store. I tried both types of fries, and a no fat burrito and veggie sandwich! I'd eat here every day if I lived nearby!

Pros: no fat options, fat free fries, burrito
racheloperasinger
racheloperasinger

Love this place!

Posted on 08 / 22 / 2009

Now that my husband and I have discovered this place, we're going to have a hard time staying away! I wanted to eat everything on the menu. And the atmosphere is great too. The people are really nice and it is very genuine. Can't wait to go back!

EscapeFromSF
EscapeFromSF

Yup.

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2009

I've now eaten at Slice of Life several times. I have always gotten good service that wasn't so present as to intrude and have enjoyed their vegan lasagna a couple of times. The food was great. They were closed for Thanksgiving but offered a great vegan Thanksgiving dinner on the Wednesday before.

The one drawback is that it shares a relatively small parking lot with a number of stores, including Whole Foods. You may find it advantageous to park in a nearby city lot and walk a short distance. The location is in downtown Sebastopol, which has a number of shops that are at least interesting to look at.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly Staff, Good selection
jp.margo
jp.margo

Slice of Heaven

Posted on 01 / 28 / 2008

I can't say enough about Slice of Life.

Their menu is dynamic and complete, its really one of a kind.

I love their spelt pizza with pesto and dairy cheese, the whole thing is only 4 big slices its $12 and I could eat a whole one, never have; I always want to order one just for myself to take home AFTER I've enjoyed their delicious tofu rancheros or one of the great daily specials, like raw enchiladas...

Their service is really good. They have outdoor seats which is great for eating with our pup.

I've had such bad experiences ordering off non-veg restaurant's "McDougall" menus and getting beans that are obviously NOT vegetarian, I truly appreciate this restaurant. I want to hire the cook to make the beans for me every single night, are to die for and they alone are worth traveling to Sebastopol.
I only wish they had a second one in Cotati!

Pros: spelt pesto pizza!, excellent value, excellent vegetarian-only restaurant
Qdebra7
Qdebra7

It's the best in the Bay Area!!

Posted on 03 / 20 / 2007

This tiny place puts out the most amazing food! Of course the salads are good, but they also have wonderful Mexican and Italian choices. We love the vegan lasagna and the soups are the best! Most selections are vegan, those with cheese or dairy or marked as so. They also do no-oil french fries which everyone loves. Check it out if you get to Sebastapol.

Pros: many choices for vegans, great service staff
Cons: too small

Dear Owner and Manager of Slice of Life: