Slate Restaurant and Bakery

Serves meat, veg options available. Uses locally sourced produce. Vegan items are not on the menu, so please ask. Tofu is available and kitchen staff is accommodating to vegans. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

AllanBarger
AllanBarger

Very accommodating

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2012

First, this is actually two places, both highly recommended by locals. There is Slate bakery/deli open during the day and a full restaurant/bar open for lunch/dinner. I was in Augusta, ME (10 minutes away) on business and ate at the restaurant on a very busy night. I had checked earlier in the day and been told a vegan meal would be no problem. I returned in the evening with a non-vegan co-worker. It was Saturday night before Halloween and the place was packed. We had no reservation but the host told us to wait if we didn't mind sitting at the bar where there is full menu service. He was about to seat a couple sitting there. We snagged those two seats and despite the place being packed, we were served quickly. When I explained I was vegan they suggested a couple of items on the menu the chef would slightly alter. I selected an item and was asked "Would you like tofu with that?" (This was not on option on the menu.) I was pleasantly surprised and agreed and was served a very good salad and entree. There are vegetarian but no specifically vegan items on the menu, but ask. They were more than willing to help and seemed used to such requests. I was impressed this was all done with a great attitude on a truly crazy night. (We were surrounded by a pack of "zombies" in the bar and a "zombie crawl" was headed down the street outside.) It was fun, the servers were very friendly, the food was delicious, and the whole atmosphere made me want to return when the place was calmer and I could get a table. Plus, this is the only actual restaurant currently listed on Happy Cow for the entire Augusta, ME area. I was referred here by vegan and non-vegan locals. I'll be back.

Pros: good food, good service, very friendly
Cons: have to ask for vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of Slate Restaurant and Bakery: