Serves meat, veg options available. A taco/burrito eatery with a menu that includes a dedicated section of veggie and vegan items (tacos, nachos, burritos, and a veggie burger). Has vegan "meat" that's made from soy protein/TVP. Tortilla chips are made in-house. Order at the counter, and food is brought to your table. Causal with plenty of seating. Note: reported to use the same grill for all orders. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg
5408 W Pico Blvd (btwn Fairfax and LaBrea)
Los Angeles, California 90019
Now Open

Mon-Sat 9:00am-9:00pm, Sun 9:00am-7:00pm

First Review by Chia

Tacos and more

Posted on 12 / 10 / 2011

Ate lunch here in December 2011, and here's my review for happycow. It's a little taco restaurant on Pico (at Hauser, east of Fairfax).

The menu shows a veggie/vegan section, and states which items can be made vegan along with prices. I ordered the sky veggie burger (request vegan) $4.99, a vegan meat taco, $2.99, and a side of tortilla chips the kitchen makes in-house.

The vegan "meat" in both the burger and the taco are the same kind (soy protein patty) but with different seasoning. The veggie burger was tasty but the bread slices were drenched in oily though well-flavored with garlic bits. The vegan taco was flavorful but salty and oily as well.

After I had placed my order, I noticed a piece of paper taped to the counter explaining the special of the day -- portabello mushroom tacos with a side of beans, $6.99.

The kitchen was busy at the time I ordered, so I had to wait quite a while for my food.

My primary main concern about eating at a non-veg place (like Sky's Tacos) is that the kitchen has only one flat grill for cooking both the meat & veg orders.

Pros: good tortilla chips, has vegan, patio seating
Cons: smoky inside, same grill for meat & veg, greasy vegan food

Dear Owner and Manager of Sky's Tacos: