Operating since 2002; current ownership since Sept 2010. Daytime is cafe menu, takeaway, and prepared foods for heat and serve at home. Dinner is restaurant menu. Vegan items are marked. Vegan cakes also available for advance order. Reservation suggested for evenings. Metro: Byker or Chillingham Road, or bus 16,18. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, English, Western, Bakery, Beer/Wine, Take-out
182 Heaton Road, Heaton (Balmoral Terrace corner)
Newcastle Upon Tyne, England NE6 5HP
0191-2092571
Closed now

Mon-Sat 10:00am-4:30pm, Wed-Sat 6:00pm-10:00pm

First Review by scallymuffin
clarebear454
clarebear454

gorgeous veg and vegan food!

Posted on 12 / 15 / 2014

I recently visited with my meat-loving boyfriend - we both LOVED the food! Not all menu choices are vegan but the staff will happily make changes to accommodate vegan preferences. I had a burrito and my paleo-favouring boyfriend had a bunless burger - DIVINE. We both had a meal and a drink each for a total of £17, great value! It's a shame I'm moving back to Australia soon, I would love to go back to Sky Apple again!

Pros: tasty food, friendly vibe and staff, good value
digsapony
digsapony

Yum!

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2014

We had a lovely lunch at Sky Apple today. I used to live in the area and never gave it a try but wish I had. The atmosphere was warm and friendly with lots of families and groups even on a Wednesday lunchtime.

We seated ourselves on arrival and ordered drinks - they have a nice selection of coffee, tea and Fentimans drinks, as well as a wine and beer list that clearly denotes which are vegan. We decided on a couple of Fentimans orange jiggers.

The menu is excellent; everything sounds delicious and it was hard to choose. My omni partner went for the volcano, a tortilla stuffed with sweet potatoes, beans, sour cream and cheese, which he really enjoyed. I had a burger with cheese - it was meaty and smoky, and somehow wrapped in the cheese with lots of crispy bits. I had the option of chips, salad, or a bit of both - I chose a bit of both, which I recommend. They have a few tasty house salads and it was nice to get a bit of a selection.

The food wasn't too quick coming, which I prefer - gives you a bit of time to enjoy the atmosphere. In that time I nipped to the toilet, which was fine, if a bit cobwebby.

I really enjoyed my visit to Sky Apple and am keen to visit again for breakfast or the evening menu!

Pros: Delicious food, Laid-back atmosphere, Varied menu
Cons: Cobwebby loos
pyro52
pyro52

So good we ate there twice

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2014

Decided to stop at this vegetarian cafe on a trip from Scotland down to the Midlands. Its a little bit of a hassle to get to from the A1 but we found it in the end. Parking in the area is free which was a bonus.

We were one vegetarian, one vegan and a vegetarian toddler. We stopped for lunch and the vegetarian had the Sky Apple Classic burger, which he was very pleased with. The vegan (me) had the veganised Grilled Cheese and Sausage Panini and it was delicious, the vegan cheese was good (think they used Vegusto), veggie sausage was also good and the panini was nicely crisped. It came with three side salads - a grated carrot salad with Indian flavourings, a potato salad with lots of herbs and a leafy green salad - all were lovely and complimented the panini - and made me feel a bit healthier!

For our toddler it was wonderful to have choices because usually in omni cafes they only have one veggie option. We ordered her the sausage, chips and beans, which she picked at but we happily finished for her. She did enjoy a scoop of vanilla ice cream with chocolate wafer though!

The decor is a little shabby and the toilets could do with a dust to get rid of a few cobwebs, but otherwise the facilities were fine. There is a baby changing table. We accidentally left our changing mat there so came back a week later on our return journey north - and it was still there!

Second time my partner enjoyed the nachos but felt they weren't particularly special. I had the Sky Apple Classic burger which was lovely but far too much, so took half of it away with me. Our toddler had the quorn nuggets, chips and peas and ate more of it than last time.

I would definitely recommend this cafe. I wish we had been there later in the day to try the evening menu, but the lunchtime menu was very good. The chef is clearly veggie or vegan themselves and knows how to make a satisfying meal for a veggie or vegan.

Would love to try the vegan cakes next time we visit.

Prices were very reasonable

Pros: Good vegan options, Lots of options on the childrens menu, Food tasted lovely!
Cons: Slightly shabby premises

deadpledge
deadpledge

Sky High!

Posted on 04 / 16 / 2014

Sky Apple is quite possibly my favourite restaurant. The evening menu changes often with new dishes added frequently and the quality of food on offer is always superb. You can also bring your own booze (BYOB) but there is a small corkage charge. I took my girlfriend there for her birthday as per every birthday and again it didn't disappoint. For starter I had the Empanada which was a homemade vegan pastry filled with mixed beans and soy mince slow cooked in tomato sauce with cascabel chillies and peppers and baked. This was then served topped with a spicy banana salsa flavoured with cardamom and ginger. Very nice! My girlfriend got the Mushroom parfait which was gluten free and served on homemade gluten free smoked cheese biscuits with leaves, soused mixed mushrooms and a drizzle of port reduction. If it wasn't for the fact I was getting mushrooms for main I would have definitely got this dish too.

For main we both got the Mushroom gallette which was thin slices of potato overlapped and pan fried into a sort of crispy potato doily. Underneath the gallette was a warm salad of Puy lentils, baby spinach, red chard, fine beans dressed with a truffle salsa. On the top were assorted mushrooms sautéed in butter, shallots and garlic and finished with white wine, with a ladle of wild mushroom reduction sauce. A delicious meal that was also gluten free. To finish the meal we got apple and blueberry pie and Ginger, cinder toffee and chocolate mousse. A perfect end to the meal. Check out the food pictures I have added too.

For me I cannot find fault with Sky Apple at all. The staff are very friendly and the chef is superb offering such as diverse menu which caters for both vegans and vegetarians. Those of you attending during the day, be sure to try the battered halloumi and chips or the volcano!

Pros: Fantastic Food, Great Staff, Bring Your Own Booze
Cons: Can be a bit cramped when full
Superfry
Superfry

Tasty Vegan Options

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2014

Had a lovely vegan burger and real tasty chips. There was lots of vegan options. A really lovely place to eat.

Pros: Vegan choices, Parking nearby, Good value sizable portions
Cons: Quite far out of the city.
Vegantravels
Vegantravels

poor if you are vegan

Posted on 01 / 21 / 2013

I liked it more when I was veggie. To have to order a vegan cake in advance from a veggie restaurant is ridiculous these days - as a vegan I try here from time to time but always end up back at Jack Sprats for better food, massive vegan selection and huge range of vegan cakes

I do hope one day it improves for vegans though

Pros: food is ok when choice
Cons: Not open enough, Pricey for the quality, very poor for vegans
newcastlevegan
newcastlevegan

fancy veggie food

Posted on 01 / 14 / 2013

If you like fancy food you will love the sky apple.
Its very popular with many people and always busy. Its one of the top rated restaurants in the ne and manny non veggies love the place.
There are always a few vegan options but the choice is limited.
We would visit more if there were more vegan options and healthier options would be valued. Lots of vegan friends feel the same.

Pros: fancy food, nice staff, always busy
Cons: too few vegan options, too many fried foods, lacks healthier options
JacquiLove
JacquiLove

Sky Apple Dinner

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2012

My husband, a friend and I went to Sky Apple on Thursday 5th September and was very reasonably priced but I was expecting more considering where the Chef has trained, really nice but a bit disappointing if a foodie

Pros: Reasonably priced, Light and airy
Cons: Old Cobweb in toilet area, bland
Scottish Clare
Scottish Clare

Great food and great value

Posted on 05 / 16 / 2012

We had lunch in the Sky Apple Cafe on 18 February 2012. This is a really nice cafe with a great choice of veggie and vegan food. It was pretty quiet the day we went and the service was quick and good. We had the vegan hot pizza wrap and the classic burger which were both very tasty. We also had the 'proper chips' which were amazing- they really were just like the chips we remembered having when we were younger. The portions were generous so we felt like it was really good value for money - would definitely recommend this place and we'll definitely visit again.

vegpunx
vegpunx

Best veg food in the city

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

The food on offer here really is the best i've ever experienced in a veg cafe/restaurant. And the fact that the menu changes often adds a great sense of variety and innovation to the dishes on offer. The curries especially are wonderful, and often better than what you'll get in a top class Indian. Well worth booking as it does get very busy.

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, great atmosphere
Cons: slightly pricey
Princess_Fireball
Princess_Fireball

A Pleasant Discovery!

Posted on 12 / 17 / 2011

Having lived in this region for a quite a while, there are a few hidden gems that one may occasionally overlook. Admittedly, this lovely cafe is not considered in a central location but was able to stumble upon this by food blogs and online reviews. We finally made our first visit on a Saturday evening- there were regulars as well as foodies in a relaxed scene.

Service was cheerful but no experts, very simple decor and Christmas menu was available. Dish portions may vary- I wouldn't consider three pieces of simple 'Xmas tree' sushi in glitter as a sufficient starter compared to my folks, who had a a bowl of soup and generous portions of bread!

The squash and chickpea curry was a delight, perfectly spiced and compensated for the disappointing starter. Other mains ordered- the mushroom wellington was crisp, fluffy- the nut roast inside was awesome too!

Delightful meal overall, I hope to visit again for their lunch offerings.

Pros: Good value, Food quality, Flavours
Cons: Inconsistent portions, Staff expertise
brit-brit
brit-brit

love love love

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2011

I have been to sky apple many a time and the food just gets better! Loads of good vegan choices and cakes. They now sell alcohol and recently had a free cake with every lunch order which is fab value. The menu changes frequently. Nice atmosphere and always busy. In my opinion its Newcastles best vegetarian and vegan restaurant!

Pros: great food, great value, good vegan options
Cons: toilets could be cleaner
hack_man
hack_man

Cafe by Day Gourmet at night

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2011

This is a good place, they do tasty cafe type food during the day such as burritos, wraps, baked potatoes, sandwiches etc and by night they offer superb quality gourmet dining with bring your own booze! (£1.50 corkage per person) Daytime prices can be pricey but the portions are huge. The gourmet food experience is wonderful but it can get very cramped in there. They certainly pack them in and the experience can become very impersonal as the staff hardly have any time to breathe let alone talk to the diners. Vegan choice is OK, but always ask to be sure. Shame it's not more central in Newcastle but it's definitely worth a visit. I would definitely go here again during the daytime but for evening dining I will go to the more relaxed and informal Jack Sprats only a few minutes walk away where you can chill out for hours with plenty of room to lounge around.

Pros: Excellent food, price
Cons: location, busy at weekends
vrp
vrp

Double check orders if you are vegan!

Posted on 11 / 20 / 2010

We ordered a vegan hummus burrito for takeaway but when we got home we noticed that it was covered with cheese. We phoned up and it was confirmed that it was cheese as the chef was not told that the order was supposed to be vegan. They did offer to replace it if we came back but as it would involve a 50 minute round trip had to unfortunately just bin it.

scallymuffin
scallymuffin

Fanstastic Food but be prepared to wait

Posted on 10 / 17 / 2009

Food fantastic :) 5 star
Not many vegan options but the options there are just amazing.
just make sure you leave room for a dessert :) to die for

Downside: service very slow (average weight 45mins - 1hr)
and also very pricey.

But don't let that deter you, the food is worth the wait :)

Pros: THE best food, friendly staff, filling and lovely desserts
Cons: waiting times, overpriced, few vegan options

Dear Owner and Manager of Sky Apple Cafe: