Vegan lunchroom in the basement of a great book store in Amsterdam, Fort van Sjakoo. Offers vegan lunch including soup, sandwiches, fruit shakes, Zapatista coffee, and a selection of vegan cakes. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Dutch

First Review by andpas
saintlouisvegan
saintlouisvegan

Great spot

5 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2012

One of my new favorites in Amsterdam. Simple menu with tasty food. Inexpensive as well. Not oily, salty or fried. Just good downhome cooking.

Pros: price, taste, just enough choices
Cons: hours
feorag
feorag

Solid, basic, ethical food

4 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2011

(visited 29th October 2011) Amsterdam is not much fun for vegans unless falafel is your favourite food, so this volunteer-run cafe is a welcome addition since my last visit here.

The menu is not extensive: a soup, a couple of larger dishes and a smaller one, plus a dessert. This is more than you're going to get in most places though! I had a large bowl of root vegetable soup, a warming blended concoction, made naturally sweet by the substantial use of neeps. I followed this with the "quiche" - a square of puff pastry in a shallow bowl topped with a tofu and mushroom mixture. The meat-eating other half expressed satisfaction with their hummus, pitta and salad, and I got the joy of dessert (forest fruit "cheesecake").

There was also a selection of juices, teas and coffees, fair trade and organic.

The food is just creative enough to be interesting, and was definitely satisfying. It was also very, very cheap. While I was there, the sole volunteer was a little distracted by her lively and destructive puppy, but she was washing her hands after contact with the dog.

Afterwards, I went upstairs and bought a few cookzines from the bookshop.

Pros: cheap, vegan desserts, ethical
Cons: very basic, small menu
earthdave
earthdave

A very nice lunch

4 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2011

We easily found this place, downstairs from a very cool alternative bookstore (take some time to browse here).
The place is very basic but the one person working was very quick to help us out. We had a quiche with salad and a homous plate with salad. Both the tofu quiche and the homous were especially tasty. I've had a lot of homous over my 25 years of being veggie and made a lot too, but this was unusual and really good.
Best of all it was really cheap, at about 3.50 euros per plate. Less than half what most other places would charge. We would definitely go back again.

P.S. they have vegan desserts (like 'cheezecake') and fair trade coffee and soy lattes and cappucinos.

Pros: tasty, cheap, fast
Cons: the hardcore music was not my favourite , decor leaves a little to be desired, not best bathroom

andpas
andpas

Still in operation

3 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2011

Variable hours but still open and run by volunteers. Haven't actually been yet but will update when I have

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Sjakie's: