CLOSED: Six Main

Serves meat, veg options available. Modern vegetarian dining turned pescatarian (fish) per report summer 2014. Uses produce from its farm in Old Lyme. Menu has vegetarian, vegan and raw vegan meals. Organic wine and beer list. Elegant setting. Parking in back. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacgto, American, International, Raw, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
6 Main St
Chester, Connecticut 06412
860-322-4212

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Michael X. James
supertoad
supertoad

Closed after today

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2014

This was one of our favorite vegan restaurants in Connecticut! Went here approximately 12 times over the course of it's existence. Chef Rachel Carr brought something wonderful to CT while it was here, but alas this has been the final week - closed with no explanation.

Maybe the vision got blurry - they served fish when we dined here Tuesday evening (to our vegan dismay) but many of the old standard dishes (General Tso's Cauliflower, Korean Tacos, and Portobello Steak were still there. Specials come and go (My favorites were the banana bread french toast and Pineapple Drunken Noodles) but they never make it to the menu. They eventually began to serve egg and cheese, we stopped coming so much. This last week was bittersweet - the fish smell was overwhelming and to me that alone is enough reason to not go back (not that I have the option) The food was good, but not what we remembered - and the General's Cauliflower and Drunken Noodles both spicy enough to rival a Vindaloo.

I am sad to see it go - this I guess is my ode to what was once my favorite Vegan restaurant in CT. (well, anywhere actually) for a time. Good luck to Chef Rachel - keep it plant strong, eh!
Updated from previous review on Friday September 26, 2014

Pros: Creative Menu, Amazing Presentation, Great Flavors
Cons: Fish, Eggs, Cheese
lek462
lek462

now serve seafood

Posted on 08 / 20 / 2014

So disappointed to make the drive from Hartford expecting the fine vegan dining we've enjoyed over the past couple of years, only to have our noses assailed by a very fishy smell as we walked in the door. The smell wafted throughout the dining room (it even bothered the very tolerant omnivore in our group...) Six Main is no longer a vegetarian restaurant (despite what you may read on their website) - they serve a number of seafood entrees. Luckily Connecticut still has other options - but we are sad to lose Six Main as a tasty place where vegans could enjoy everything on the menu.

Pros: still plenty of vegan options
vikavegan
vikavegan

One of the best restos in my listing

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2014

I went to this restaurant several times, and it was all excellent experience. The food is very creative and tasty (perfectly corresponds to my taste!), the decoration and atmosphere is classy. It's a nice place to have your dinner, lunch or even breakfast. Moreover, Sixmain was our wedding caterer and they did very excellent job. The cake was super delicious, light, I'm afraid I don't have enough words to describe it. I went to many veggie places in EU and in my opinion this place is one of the best of all that I tried! I would definitely recommend it to a friend.

Pros: tasty, creative, price corresponds to quality

C2five
C2five

A fancier experience

Posted on 05 / 30 / 2014

I have eaten here exactly once. I thought the menu was creative, and the food was tasty. It's a nice enough place, but it's a little pretentious feeling for my tastes. I personally had a mediocre experience with service (they seemed confused as to who was actually waiting on us, so it took a very long time to get water and that kind of thing) but the servers were friendly. I thought it was a little overpriced for what we got, but I did like the food.

I walked away feeling like I was glad I tried it, but am unlikely to go back.

mark m braunstein
mark m braunstein

excellent food but not for the parsimonious

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2014

Named either for its address, 6 Main St, or for its onomatopoeia sounding Sex Man, like its name the restaurant is a paradox. Its menu is mostly vegan, the remainder vegetarian, and much of it raw. My kind of food. Yet the décor of the restaurant is not my kind of place. It was remodeled from the nearly windowless lobby of a former old bank, and still hanging from the ceiling are the bank’s creepy chandeliers, yellowed with age. Its interior evokes my childhood memories of my grandmother’s stuffy old home where windows never were opened. Or my teenage memories of the lobby of an old bank which had no windows. I cannot fathom why anyone would want to retain the décor of a stuffy bank. I would much prefer to tear it down. Or to hold it up. Six Main’s white tablecloths offer a stark contrast to nearby ION’s stark tree trunk tabletops. Similarly, Chester’s prim and proper Main Street contrasts with working class Main Street in Middletown. Seated here nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoyed my several meals. Every entrée is flavorful and unique (Unique with a capital U), if not invented by the masterful chef then surely perfected by her. The portions are small, but the nutritional standards are high. So are the prices. Six Main’s prices reflect its domicile in ritzy Chester, a Vermont-like rural town beleaguered with Manhattan-like urban traffic congestion. (Parking is not a problem, however, thanks to its own parking lot behind its building. And be sure to check out the brook that abuts the lot.) While one can be affluent without being decadent, Six Main’s wine and beer menu indicates its intentions to cater to the very decadent. A mixed demographic group indeed dines here. Young and sexy couples sitting at the bar enjoy their meals as much as each others’ company. Formally attired elderly couples, obvious members of the targeted audience of those white tablecloths, seem comfortable and satiated. Or perhaps all merely glow from the effects of the wine they are drinking. As I prefer to drink my grape juice straight, I hope the wine list subsidizes the food prices, which nevertheless exceed my budget, and probably yours too. But because every dish is so Unique, I heartily recommend you make a special trip to dine here, even if your dining experience must remain equally unique and you dine here just once. Because my decrying its bourgeois decadence is more a comment about me than it is a review about this restaurant.

Pros: the unique cuisine, the easy parking, the dining experience
Cons: the stuffy decor, the great expense, the bourgeois decadence
theft78
theft78

Amazing!

Posted on 02 / 14 / 2014

Wonderful food wonderful service. Amazing overall experience.

Pros: Great selection, Great service
drummergirl
drummergirl

Vegan Food Heaven

Posted on 01 / 12 / 2014

Oh my gosh...this place has really great vegan food! It's a nice little place that serves wholesome vegetarian and vegan "cuisine" – a good option that vegans and omnivores can both enjoy. I'm the only vegan in my family, but I dragged my family members there, and they enjoyed it almost as much as I did! We ordered several things, all fantastic: kale salad with pomegranate seeds, pine nuts, avocado, and a delicious dressing; flatbread pita with hummus, shallots, red pepper, and amazing balsamic reduction; and the best part was dessert...an assortment of 100% vegan cheesecake, chocolate cake, gelato, turtle torte. PHENOMENAL. This place may just be the best restaurant I've ever been to. I loved everything. So tasty, so delicious, so awesome, so vegan, so perfect!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Pros: Excellent food, All vegan or vegetarian with raw options, Nice staff
Cons: None :)
KimMamaLove
KimMamaLove
  • herbivore

Incredible fine dining

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

I'm ecstatic that this restaurant is close by! They have everything a foodie could want: local, organic, vegan, vegetarian, raw, gluten-free, healthy and a talented chef. I do wish the atmosphere were more laid back, but I've been there many times now and have gotten used to it. I am also a big fan of ION in Middletown, but after Six Main opened, in my opinion, ION is fast food and Six Main is fine dining. Some people prefer to eat not-so-healthy when they eat out, but as for me, I want healthy & delicious food for my money. I've ordered a wide variety from the menu since they've been open and have loved each & every dish. I love Six Main so much that I had them cater my 40th birthday party. All of my friends (vegan and not) loved the food at my party. To correct another reviewer's comments about their menu, the menu does state, "All menu items are vegan unless dairy is indicated." Some menu items are also gluten-free. I order take-out more often than I dine in. Many times while there picking up my food I've witnessed walk-in diners being shocked that the place is packed and bustling with no open tables, so make a reservation or you'll have to wait.

Pros: proper portions, healthy & so good, gluten-free options
Cons: atmosphere a little stuffy
hellokicia
hellokicia

Love Six Main

Posted on 03 / 13 / 2013

Six Main is our new go-to place for special occasions. It's a little pricey for everyday fair, but it's worth the drive and the cost for a special night out. We are always impressed with the food and love how the menu changes constantly to reflect whats in season. Most of the menu is vegan with only a few dairy items marked. Someone else mentioned in a review that they didn't indicate what was vegan but it does say at the bottom of the menu that the whole menu is vegan except for those items marked dairy, which can usually be made vegan anyway. Love this place! The food is so delicious and fresh and we always have a great experience. Also, they have "ccoking" (more like demonstration) classes which are great if you can stand the pretentious people that sign up.

Pros: Delicious Food, Worth the Prices, Seasonal Menu
Cons: Pricey but worth it
Paco
Paco

SIx Main is a good place IMHO

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2012

I was in Chester for the town's Summer Stroll. It was evening and I was getting that stomach growl saying it's time for grub. So, I walked in dressed in cammo cut offs, and a hawaian shirt. The Hostes, greeted me, took a look at my dress, and said "We are a vegan resturant, we don't serve hamburgers." Seeing how I am a meat eater (in war and occasionally in resturants) I smiled at her, said I understand, and that I was looking for a good natural dinner from local fare if possiable. She was still giving me the "eye" when I said "Hey I'm a member of the "Happy Cow" network for over 4 years (since my last tour in Iraq.) She seemed satisfied, gave me a nice seat by a window, more towards the back of the dining room (fine by this boy.) I have not had such a fine repast in a very long time. I had the ravioli as well as the tacos. The food was excellent, and the micro-brew beers were cold and tasty. I truly don't think there is a poor choice on the menu. On subsequent visits, I've dressed more in tune with the local populace. Who, by the way are quite fortunate and blessed to have such an excellent resturant right in such a sweet little town to visit. Yes, the price is to the right of a local bistro. But at Six Main, you do get what you pay for, bliss. Enjoy - Peace out.

Pros: clean rest rooms, delicous foods, cold beer
Michellemarra
Michellemarra

Outstanding!!!

Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

This is my new "go to" restaurant in the sleepy, artsy and bucolic town of Chester, CT. I live in Mystic and it usually takes me a little more than a half hour to drive there, depending on traffic. It is well worth the trip.

The menu is not extensive, but full of fresh options. I appreciate that the restaurant is mostly farm to fork so I feel the prices are within reason. The portions are perfect size and several times I have split both the salad and the entree with my daughter or girlfriend so we have room for their delicious desserts.

We need to see more restaurants in CT like them. I will continue to sing their praises!!

Pros: Relaxing decor and location, Farm to table, Great flavors
kristin.mcshane
kristin.mcshane

Good but very expensive

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2012

We had dinner here tonight with my in laws for my husbands birthday. The food was good, my husband and I both had portobello mushrooms that were outstanding. My non veg in laws also enjoyed their food. The menu doesn't have a ton of options but most could probably find something they liked. The dessert was really good too. Service was a bit slow, they took every single dirty dish from dinner a few at a time before they even asked if we wanted to see a dessert menu.

Pros: Good food, Good atmosphere, Locally sourced food
Cons: EXPENSIVE, Slow service, Limited menu
pisceschic
pisceschic

High-end vegan food

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2012

We had the grilled watermelon salad to start, which was pretty good, but not mind-blowing. Then we shared two entrees. The six main sliders were delicious. They came with a great blueberry dipping sauce. The raw spicy summer noodles were the standout. Fresh and flavorful. Overall the food is expensive, but this restaurant will be a good treat.

I recommend that they label vegan items on the menu. Dairy-free is labeled, but there is no mention of vegan (egg- and honey-free as well).

Pros: Outside seating, Delicious food, Many vegan options
Cons: Expensive, Remote area, No vegan menu labels
Michael X. James
Michael X. James

Very, very good

Posted on 06 / 20 / 2012

I stopped by Six Main after being recommended to try it out while in Chester to get a smoothing at JUSTFOOD and it was an excellent recommendation! I got the sweet potato sliders they were very tasty. It came with three sliders and "fingerling potatoes" which was literally only two small potatoes. Both were served with a blueberry ketchup. The price was a bit steep for lunch and for the amount of food but it was an excellent meal and I would definitely go back. I got a piece of raw key lime pie for dessert which was quite tasty. Definitely recommended.

Pros: Good food, Vegan options, Nice atmosphere
Cons: A bit pricey