CLOSED: Sistah's Vegan Rest...

This vegan restaurant is located in the Beverly neighborhood. MAR 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN, PHONE NOT WORKING - REMOVED. Price: Inexpensive more-less
2239 W 95th St (S Bell Ave)
Chicago, Illinois 60643
773- 445-4788

First Review by Krutolow
nathanb
nathanb

Great food

Posted on 05 / 15 / 2011

I had the country steak and the veggie burger. The veggie burger was perhaps the best I'd ever eaten and it didn't appear or taste like a Boca or other store bought burger but like a homemade burger. The food is simple fantastic.

The neighborhood is also safe and nice. It's across the street from a Borders Book Store so the neighborhood is fairly nice.

They do have a sign on the window but there is no overhanging sign that you can see. You have to drive right in front of the restaurant to see the window sign.

The service was fairly fast considering it seems to be made to order. I was very impressed.

The only real drawback is they don't have a public or customer rest room. If you gotta go, then you gotta go somewhere else.

Pros: Great taste, Healthy, Clean
Cons: No public restrooms
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Sistah's

Posted on 02 / 25 / 2011

I really wanted to eat here mainly because it's a new vegan restaurant in Chicago. I made two attempts to eat here, the first time I went during their stated hours of operation and there were no lights on when we drove by, so call before you go. The second time is a whole different story.

Let me start by saying that this establishment is not in the best area of town, that said, the area is very sketchy. So during our second attempt we actually got out of the car and walked by the place. It looked very seedy on the inside, so much so that my friend expressed he was weary of eating food from the establishment. I agreed to pass on eating there, mainly because it just didn't look up to par and I was uncomfortable with the place overall. I'm pretty adventurous and open minded when it comes to eating at veg*n places, slightly sketchy or not, but something told me to skip this place.

All of that said, just be mindful of what you're in for. I hope they grow and create an environment inside that would make people comfortable to dine there. 2 Cows for their vegan efforts.

• ChicagoKate ChicagoKate

Sketchy neighborhood? Really? It's in the heart of Beverly, one of the safest and wealthiest neighborhoods in the entire city with some awesome homes nearby. Seriously, this is NOT a sketchy area in the least. But parking is definitely an issue, since it is on 95th. Other than that, the food is pretty good, but defititely for carry-out only.

• SynthVegan SynthVegan

ChicagoKate- We took 95th street there from the interstate and the whole ride was sketchy. Perhaps it's nicer further west?

• randomuser1105 randomuser1105

Please let us know what's so "sketchy" about Beverly. I don't know if you were actually at Sistah's or not because nothing you described is accurate. The restaurant is located in a nice area. I've eaten here twice and the food was great. It doesn't even sound like you went in. If you didn't, your "review" is a totally misleading waste of time.

• purrgirl purrgirl

I agree with ChicagoKate - Sketchy?? Not! Just because you didn't like the ride in -don't take it out on the restaurant - I mean, you didn't even eat there or go in. What exactly is sketchy about? I used to go to Southtown Health Foods all the time which is right down the like 20 years ago and I never had a problem and the area never seemed "sketchy" to me and I grew up on the SW side. I think you should remove your review and only do one if you eat at some place. Reviews should be on the food not about the neighborhood and this is a very nice neighborhood.

Krutolow
Krutolow

Vegan Fast Food as it should be!

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2010

See pics and the full review at Marty's Flying Vegan Review
www.martysnycveggiereview.blogspot.com

It's only been open for a couple of months and the menu is simple and small but the food is amazing. I made a quick pit stop here and grabbed a few things to go and was very impressed.

The restaurant itself is a storefront. Rather poorly marked with a sign taped in the window. I was glad I saw this place during the day because I don't know if I'd have noticed it with the well marked soul food place right next door.

There's also a pretty harsh sign on the door, "EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY HOURS ARE AS FOLLOWS: ... " Funny kind of pronouncement but what the important thing is that the place doesn't open until 4PM. So no lunch?

Spartan doesn't begin to describe the decor. It's bare bones functional with a few tables in front. Down the hall is the kitchen. I thought there might have been a dining room but the only room is going to become a store. There's a hugh health food marked a few blocks down 95th so I'm not sure what they're going to be selling.

Dinner specials are $8.95. That's the most expensive thing on the menu. You have to love that.

I didn't see any online menus so here are a few shots of the menu on the front counter.

Since I had to be mobile while eating I couldn't order the dinners.

Few choices but they hit the 4 corners of the world.

Chowing down with a car seat as my table. There were 4 pieces when I opened the container but by the time I got out the camera ...

This was one of the best quesadillas I've ever had. The cheese and spinach were seasoned just right and tasted fantastic and the tortilla had a nice crunch.

The guac was fine and the chipotle dipping sauce had a rich delicious flavor.

Yes the carrots and celery were measly but the seitan, even with all this condensation in the box, were fantastic. Just the right amount of breading and the consistency was just where it's supposed to be for a bite of seitan. The two dipping sauces, bbq (KC sweet) and vegan ranch (OK), went well for these pseudo wings.

The young man in the store told me they made the burgers in-house but it looked so perfect. I need to talk to the chef because this might have been one of the best renditions of a burger I have eaten. As a matter of fact it scared me ...
Marty
Marty's Flying Vegan Review
www.martysnycveggiereview.blogspot.com
@veganpilotmarty
vegan tees at www.cafepress.com/veganpilotmarty

Pros: Great food, ample street parking
Cons: Way south of the city, not open for lunch, storefront doesn't stand out

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Sistah's Vegan Restaurant: