Sipz Fusion Cafe -...

One of two locations; the second location is in North Park. Casual dining in a large space. Menu features a range of Asian style rice and noodles plates, mockmeat dishes, appetizers. Everything is vegan except for one dish (noted on the menu). Vegan sushi menu is available from 5pm. Its own bakery makes vegan treats and desserts. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Asian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Bakery, Fusion, Take-out

First Review by vixyash
Star the magic vegan
Star the magic vegan

The Best Restaurant in Sothern California

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2014

Sipz is it. They have Vegan Sushi after five p.m. and serve some of the best Vegan Chinese and Vegan Vietnamese food I have ever had. The prices are reasonable and the atmosphere is casual. Try the young coconuts, the caterpillar role, the soups, the appetizers like the BBQ chicken and have a great time. It is easy to get NOGO food (No garlic, no onions). Parking is easy and the restaurant is big so people rarely wait to be seated. The 'To Go Food' also works well. Service is great.

Pros: Taste of food, Service and Parking, Vegan Sushi
LennyG
LennyG

Delectable if you know what to order

4 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2013

Been there twice, various dishes and desserts were delectable (peanut-butter chocolate brownies are insanely good), a few others were average. Friendly service; a few more servers may be needed. Would always come back here.

Michele007
Michele007

Amazing

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

Best food I have eaten the whole time I have been in America. We are going back for a second visit. Huge meals and even the deserts are great.

Pros: Good value, Great menu, Amazing food
RonCollazo
RonCollazo

Awesome Every Time!

5 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2012

It was our third visit to Sipz and we brought our family this time (we're hoping to convert them to a plant based diet).
The service was prompt, attentive, and friendly. All of our meals were INCREDIBLE! Our parents were very complimentary and couldn't believe they weren't eating meat. The prices were very fair for the quality and portion sizes and Sipz offers FREE mango ice teas for your party if you pay with cash, an additional value we took advantage of.
We love this place and can't wait to check out their North Park location.

Pros: Yummy, Inexpensive, Service
Cons: none, nada, zilch
SiaEra
SiaEra

Vegan friendly

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2011

My fiance and heard about Sipz cafe about a month ago and so far we have eaten here about 6 times already. It is that good! They have Boba drinks which can be made Vegan by substituting soy milk, the waiter suggested we order the green tea boba and it is honestly the best flavor. The food is Vegetarian but it is noted which items can be made vegan, about 95% can be made Vegan. They have a hotness scale depending on how spicy you like your food. We ordered the Spicy thai fried rice and Japanese Fire noodles at an 8 once and it was the spiciest dish we had ever ate, but still very tasty. I order my rice and noodles dishes at about a 5 now though because the 8 was a little too spicy for me, but if you love spicy food then go for it. Also the crispy spring rolls are great. The service is always fast.
Depending on what you order it can get a tad pricey, for two meals, an appetizer and 2 boba drinks it is about 30 dollars but the food is well worth it.

Pros: Great selection, Very fast service, Good location
Cons: a tad pricey at times
bvanb
bvanb

No AMEX

5 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2011

I visited Sipz on Clairemont Mesa today and found out that they do not accept American Express. Instead, I went to the Thai place in the same strip mall and had a dismal Tofu Curry.

Pros: Big portions, Huge variety, Pleasant staff
Cons: My tummy is too small to try all the gre, generic dining area
GabrielitoVegano
GabrielitoVegano

Really Good Food

4 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2011

On our recent trip to san Diego we stopped by Sipz to have a bite and found it to have good chinese food. They have a lot of vegan options, just make sure to ask beforehand because some of their items are vegatarian. Well, we ended up going the next day. We had the orange "chicken", the soft chowmein and the cashew "chicken".

Pros: Vegan Friendly, Nice service
vegboy2009
vegboy2009

Maybe the best San Diego restaurant EVER

5 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2011

Amazing food, quick service, great selection, plenty of seating, all around terrific experience. I'll DEFINITELY be back.

Pros: Awesome food, Good atmosphere, Plenty of parking
jamber79
jamber79

good asian food!

4 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2010

This place had tons of tables, plenty of space for big groups. The food was all very good. Loved the potstickers, the bbq "pork" and the vegan thai iced tea. Service wasn't the friendliest, but everything came out as ordered. Will go back again!

Pros: food, value, large space
Cons: not friendly service
kristenstar4
kristenstar4

Very good

5 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2010

I used to live in San Diego and found this restaurant online. It is my favorite! When ever I go back to CA I stop there and get the Thai curry "chikn" medium heat! So yummy. Even my meat eating husband loves this restaurant. Also, the mango dessert with coconut milk & peanuts is wonderful.

NOTE: the chocolate chip cookie at the registar do NOT taste good. The chocolate chips have a funny/off flavor. Not worth the money.

SaraGale
SaraGale

AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS FOOD!

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2009

Their website doesn't have their full menu. This place is amazing! All noodle dishes are incredible and there is a huge and delicious vegan sushi menu that I highly recommend. My husband and I are vegetarian and this is our favorite place! We even take our meat-eating friends here and they love the mockmeats too. Great boba teas as well.

Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Nice place

3 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2009

Every time we visit San Diego, we go to Sipz. It's a nice place, but we're spoiled by all the vegan Thai/Asian places in LA, so while I have nothing to complain about, it just wasn't as good as others I've been to. I do like the boba drinks though! We tend to order the Vietnamese style dishes more as we get so much Thai & Chinese back home.

Pros: different types of Asian food, easy parking , boba drinks
Cons: some dishes not as good as others
kristalinn
kristalinn

Great Thai Curry

4 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2009

My standard order when we go to Sipz is the veggie potstickers (they are often a bit limp - but they taste great!) and the Thai Curry! The curry has a really great flavor (it's not exactly like you'd get at a Thai place but it's equally as delicious in it's own right). There are always a few pieces of eggplant in the curry, which I LOVE. I always get it with steamed tofu (since I'm not big on mock meats and I don't like my tofu FRIED). I ALWAYS have an entire meal leftover to bring to work the next day. The first couple times I visited, I order something else and I didn't really like it as much. I think the menu here is hit and miss. The key is to find the really good stuff and then stick to it! My boyfriend LOVES the Vegan Sushi!! : O) - Oh, and it's nice to be able to get a Thai Iced tea VEGAN (with soy milk) - One thing in particular that I've ordered that I did NOT like at all was the Vietnemese noodle dish... very bland... nothing like the real thing...

Pros: Thai Curry
Cons: Some not so good items on the menu
adam95
adam95

Sipz Vegetarian Cafe

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2008

This Restaurant is the BEST restaurant EVER! I think this because of the service, and most importantly, the food, the food is out of this world. The minute I walk in there, I get excited cause of the smell. Outside of the restaurant is a menu just to give you a sneek peek of what the restaurant is like. They have anything vegetarian, anything that you could think of, it is 100 percent vegetarian, no animal products, even to fortune cookies or choclate chip cookies don't have egg. This food is completely delicious.
I used to love oyster sauce, but I got dissipointed when I found out it was an animal product, so I couldn't eat it, but at this restaurant, the oyster sauce is soy oyster sauce, YEAH!!! This place has everything from vegetarian soup, to soy chicken, so I don't care if you live in China,
Greece, New York, or Russia, come down to San Deigo, California and stop by Sipz Vegetarian Express. This restaurant is right bt a Animal Right Theift Store that donates money to help animals, and by a comic book store.

Pros: Food, Restroom, and Food
Cons: Fish Tank needs cleaning, none, none
genevievezz
genevievezz

not vegan friendly

2 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2008

soy chicken (that says vegan on the menu) has egg derivatives in it.

also i hear an employee quit when he/she found out there is fish sauce in some of the (supposed to be vegan)sauces

cant be trusted

Pros: nostalgia, ignorance, nice people
Cons: lies, deceit, disrespect
vduplessis
vduplessis

went there 3x in 1 week!

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2008

fave place to go when on vacation in SD.

all the dishes we got were a hit-- my faves were the Thai curry, chinese chicken salad, & cashew chicken. kids loved the sushi, pad thai & chow mein. desserts are awesome.

but what is up with the insanely big beverages???

Pros: great food, big portions, variety
Cons: random location!, slow service
lunasea
lunasea

good but not particularly healthy or fast

3 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2008

I've been eating regularly at this establishment for over a year. I do like the food but many of the fake "meat" items are fried and therefore not particularly healthy. Also, the service is hit and miss. I don't always get everything I order.

Pros: good tasting food, 100% vegetarian, lots of colorful people
Cons: inconsistent service, lots of fried items
mlslater219
mlslater219

Delicious asian food

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2008

This place is great! The food is delicious. By now I've had almost everything on the menu and I've only had a few dishes that I didn't like. It's family-run and they have high standards of quality for their ingredients. They are also really nice, good people. The atmosphere is fun and quirky. The service isn't always the best but it is worth putting up with that. The food is usually pretty quick unless they are totally packed. My favorite is the pad thai noodles with mock chicken. Their boba teas are really yummy too.

Pros: yummy food, healthy options, low price
Cons: service sometimes
Lucid
Lucid

Its not bad, but it aint great

3 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2008

I have been going there on and off for about 3 years or so and its not that I ever have anything nasty, but I never really have anything great. The prices are pretty damn good, and back before they expanded the service was incredible, but last time I went I decided it will be the last time. You know that happy light feeling you get from eating vegetarian... well it just wasnt there. After eating there expect to drink 1/2 a gallon of water to wash it all down because there is a lot of salt and its not the most healthy for you, but then again its open and serving on Christmas so not all is lost.
Overall I dont want to say dont try it because the prices are not bad so its worthy of a $25 throw-down and self evaluation, but dont expect to be wow'd either.
Great mock meat, good noodles, good exotic drinks.

Pros: mock meat, exotic drinks, price
Cons: inconsistant, lost of salt, service
irlandaise
irlandaise

Good Noodles!

4 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2008

My husband LOVED this place! HUGE bowls of hot noodles and dumplings, ect. (I probably would have enjoyed it more had I not eaten a very dense "raw" lunch). You definately get A LOT of food and it seemd to be a friendly, casual atmosphere. I definately recommend it if you're a noodle-lover!

Pros: Good Noodles!, Nice Atmosphere
vicklesworth
vicklesworth

Dessert

4 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2008

The only thing i've ever had from here is their stuffed coconut dessert and it's, by far, the best, most fun i've ever had eating dessert. It's a mix of hot and cold ingredients inside a real coconut and you can eat the coconut meat too. I have to agree with some of the other reviews about poor service though. I've been here twice and my order has only been for this dessert. It generally takes them some time, about 15 min, to bring it.

Pros: great dessert
Cons: long wait
breathingwater
breathingwater

Terrible!

2 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2008

I took my mom there last week since so many people keep mentioning the place. It took forever for our order to be taken and once it was we waited sooooooooo long to get our food. Even our drinks. I had to remind them they hadn't brought my drink and when it came it was not what I'd ordered. I had to remind them about my soup and when it came it was luke warm (otherwise would've tasted good at least). My mom got so tired of waiting that she complained and they said they'd rush our order but no one came to tell us what was going on, if there was a problem or why it was taking so long. No one seemed to care. Our waiter said he didn't know anything about the food or drinks because he's new. The people next to us got their food before us and they arrived at least a half hour after we did! We were going to leave but the lady assured us our food would be right out. About another 10 minutes we had our food and my mom liked hers but mine was the chow mein and it wasn't very good. I complained at the front counter that the whole thing was a terrible experience. We got there at about 6pm (or earlier)and our food arrived just before 7pm. We waited at least 45 minutes! It was fairly busy and there were only two servers but they weren't totally packed and there were a lot of employees standing around not doing anything. They took a few charges off our bill but should have just comped the whole thing. After all that hype that San Diego has a vegan restaurant I am really dissapointed. We'll never go back. Don't waste your time.

Pros: Willing to cut bill
Cons: Slow Service, Bad Service, Food
chanale
chanale

decent food, but very slow service

3 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2007

We've been going to Sipz about once a month for the last year. The food is hit-or-miss (the lettuce wrap appetizer with peanut sauce is very good, anything with "chicken" is hard and rubbery), and they rely far too much on fake meat for my taste, but it's a decent place to go when you don't feel up to cooking and cleaning.

My one big complaint is the service, which has been horribly slow whether we've been there in the evening or at an off hour when the place is nearly empty. A few evenings ago, we all went out to Sipz for sushi, and we only placed a small sushi order between the three of us, retaining a menu and telling the waiter we'd order more later. More than an hour later, he still hadn't checked in on us, so my husband had to ask the person behind the counter for the check. We were asked by that person if we wanted dessert. So we could wait another hour? We all went home still hungry and annoyed.

I've been to the Sipz Sorrento Valley location once now, and although that's in a food court, they seem to have almost the full menu that Clairemont does without the ridiculous wait times. The con there is atmosphere (a food court) and that there was literally nowhere to sit during the lunch rush, but the food was par with Clairemont, and the service much faster, of course.

Cons: tortoise-slow service
angie s.
angie s.

MSG OVERLOAD

2 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2007

If you're into unhealthy hydrolyzed, super sodium drenched fake meat products, this is the place for you. Nothing on the menu is fresh, nothing resembles real food, and for chinese food it just isn't that good. Plus the MSG gives me a bad headache. Just like eating at a burger king. yuck. i'd probably rather order a veggie burger at burger king, actually.

Pros: cheap
Cons: bad quality, too much msg, yucky fake meat
lithophor
lithophor

My favorite restaurant

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2007

I love going here! they have great service, and a wide array of food, drinks, for all dietary needs.
The only downside is, its nowhere near my house, so its always a trip to go. I hope they open one up in hillcrest!

PH0ENIX
PH0ENIX

Delicious, affordable vegetarian food

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2007

We ordered some sushi rolls, pho, curry chicken, and boba drinks. All were extremely delicious and filling. The only problem was our stomachs were too small to try more things. We will definitely have to go back; I wish we had one of these in Phoenix! The place was pretty busy too, with a diverse mix of customers. Very nice.

Pros: Delicious food, Good value, Very filling
Guest
Guest

Best Thai Food

5 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2007

Sipz's food was so amazing! My friends and I all shared the Orange "Chicken", Spicy Thai Fried Rice, "chicken" Basil and their Veggie Surprise. Five Stars all around. Even their new Vegan cheesecake was a huge hit with my meat eating friend. Service was quick and very friendly.

Pros: Great food, very affordable, quick service
Cons: far from Temecula, need more location in SD
condekedar
condekedar

Solid, simple food

4 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2007

Sipz has a large menu featuring hearty, simple Asian dishes (and some non-Asian dishes). All their entrees are under $8 and they come in portion sizes that are perfect for a single meal (though not big enough for me to have leftovers!). The food was tasty, but not superb by any means; sometimes it seemed a bit too greasy or sweet, but on a whole it was good. The service was a bit slow, especially when trying to get the check.

Pros: Value, Large menu, Friendly staff
Cons: Slow service, A bit greasy
vixyash
vixyash
  • non-vegetarian

Tasty Asian Style Veg Place in SD!

4 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2006

I love Sipz for their excellent mock meat (especially chicken). The dishes are always tasteful and huge, so I always have leftovers! The drinks are delicious (yummm honeydew tea) and the desserts (mmmm banana cake) are really amazing. Unfortunately, they are so popular that sometimes the service is slow, but worth it.

Pros: Great Value, Delicious
Cons: Slow Service, Not Enough Variety
  • sas78 sas78

I usually love the food- sometimes though the food is too salty; however, the service is becoming dreadful. I have been going to the Clairemont restaurant for over two months and the service just keeps on getting worse. It wasn't even busy today, and the service was still completely inadequate. I don't think this place can stay open soley on their good food. Attitute is everything, and they have a little too much of that going on. They need to prioritize and focus on their customers. I will not be spending anymore of my money at this restaurant.

Dear Owner and Manager of Sipz Fusion Cafe - Clairemont Mesa: