Serves meat, veg options available. Cafe offering fish and vegetarian food. Serves tea, coffee, and juices. Free wi-fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Western, Japanese, Non-veg

First Review by Stevie
Stevie
Stevie

Sinmei Tea, Hong Kong

2 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2014

I gave this place a try this morning. Firstly to clear a point up re the grade of vegetarianism of this establishment. The facebook page lists this place as being vegetarian and vegan. The menu certainly does seem to accommodate those options. There is also a tuna dish on the menu though. I asked to check if this was real tuna or another of the mock meats that have penetrated the HK vegetarian market so deeply. The gentlemen behind the counter confirmed to me that it is authentic tuna. Thus at time of writing at least the conclusion to draw is that this place is not a 100% vegetarian eatery.

It's very much a cafe rather than a restaurant. Aside from the tuna offering there's a lot of dishes on the menu that are either egg or cheese based. I had started by asking the gent serving what was available that was vegan friendly. He replied by saying that everything. Thus as well as identifying tuna on the menu and added to this the preponderence of egg and cheese dishes, I didn't have a great deal of confidence in the level of vegan awareness I had before me from the staff of this establishment. I checked (out of unjustified optimism rather than any clinical sense of realistic expectation) to see if the scrambled egg was indeed made from egg rather than being some sort of scrambled tofu type dish. It's eggs. I didn't ask if the cheese was vegetarian cheese or made with animal rennet as I just seen that conversation achieving nothing constructive.

The menu clearly states vegan apple cake. There's other things on the menu that could or couldn't be vegan friendly. I'll leave that to others to find out.

All in all, a bit of a shame really. It's a nice enough looking setting and the guy who served me was perfectly pleasant. There's a lot of competition in HK for the vegetarian market though and standards are high. There's a lot of room for this place to improve.

Pros: At least one vegan friendly option
Cons: Poor level of staff vegan awareness, Not 100% vegetarian

Dear Owner and Manager of Sinmei Tea: