Single Pebble

Serves meat, veg options available. Chinese restaurant. Has vegetarian dishes and will accommodate vegans upon request. Reservations suggested. Price: Expensive more-less
Chinese, Non-veg
133 Bank St
Burlington, Vermont 05401
802-865-5200

Open Mon-Sat lunch from 11:30am, Mon-Sun dinner from 5pm.

First Review by LFL
Donnell
Donnell

Wonderful Treat with MANY vegan options!

4 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2013

Three of us...and a baby went here on a Satruday night. We were greated warmly, served promptly and had all of our vegan alternative questions answered with knowledge and grace! The food was very good and plentiful (we ended up taking some home) and I would highly recommend this place for anyone who needs carnivore/vegan options with a good selections of spirits to match.

Pros: Service, Flavor, Speed
Cons: Reservations a must
steveveg
steveveg

Nice Chinese Restaurant

4 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2012

A Single Pebble is a decent Chinese restaurant - a treat when I am not in New York. There are sufficient vegan and/or gluten free choices. The appetizers are substantial, and are nearly entree sized. We had sufficient food with 3 appetizers, one soup and an entree for four people. The Double Garlic Eggplant was quite tender. The Mock Eel (made from Shiitake) and Dried Fried Green Beans were fine. The entree, Mixed Chinese Greens was uninspired. The dishes tended to be heavily salted and a little greasy, in fairness we did not specify less salt and oil. There are also a number of dishes that could be made vegetarian with the substitution of tofu or other item, but it appeared to me to not be a good value, as you are paying shrimp, scallops or meat prices for the cheaper tofu. Their entrees were on the expensive side.

Pros: vegan choices, good Chinese food, fine atmosphere
Cons: expensive
zaphod46
zaphod46

Expensive but Tasty

3 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2011

A few people have said this is "real" Chinese food. I am not sure what they meant, since it is very different from most West Coast Chinese food I have had, but it was good and a few steps above most Chinese restaurants you find in New England.

For someplace labeled veg-friendly, the dinner specials were very disappointing. I almost asked our waiter to stop, since hearing all those meat dishes described in detail made me uncomfortable.

We had to repeatedly specify "no egg" with each dish we ordered to transform it from vegetarian to vegan. While I would have been much happier if the waiter had caught on and just said "no egg in anything, right?" at least the dishes were veganizable. Even the fried dishes could be made with an alternate, vegan batter.

The atmosphere is certainly on the fancier side, which was very nice, actually. A reservation is strongly recommended. We were there on a Thursday night and almost didn't get a table. One thing that surprised me is that they do take-out (not sure about delivery), which would be a good option to avoid the reservation business.

Pros: tasty, fancy atmosphere
Cons: cost, meat, lots more meat
lindzvtvegan
lindzvtvegan

the Most Amazing food

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2008

This is the place you want to go, it has amazing REAL Chinese food not that shit you get that has been Americanized. The Mock Eel is the most incredible thing you can get as well as the Buddha's Beef and don't forget to try the Mushi Vegetables and Tofu!
Note that this is a family style restaurant and that dishes come when they are ready...you won't find your entree sitting under a hot lamp while you finish your appetizer, heck you might just have your entree come out before your appetizer. Oh and make reservations it is always busy

Pros: great for vegans, huge portions, excellent food
Cons: none
markvegan
markvegan

Ummm ....what?

2 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2008

I read the 3 reviews before mine and was excited...my meal, Kung Pao Tofu was just o.k. and expensive (maybe dinner menu is more $$$).

Cons: Expensive

LFL
LFL

A Single Pebble

4 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2007

I was in Vermont for a week long vacation and dined in four restaurants while there. This one was by far the best. In fact I would say that the food I had at A Single Pebble was the best Chinese food of my life.

I was with a group of 9 at lunchtime and everyone enjoyed the food we had, which included the scallion pancake (good), the double-garlic eggplant (solid), the seasoned pressed tofu with cilantro (excellent), the steamed vegetable dumplings (quite good), the spicy three river soup (very good), tangerine peel seitan (excellent). We were also served a complimetary dish of Chinese greens which we enjoyed very much. Our meat-eating companions ordered the tan tan noodle dish with chicken. Being vegan, I didn't try it, but they raved about the sesame peanut sauce. I'm mentioning this because the dish can also be ordered without meat.

All in all it was a wonderful meal -- our food was brought to the table as it was cooked and it was very fresh and delicious. Many dishes are either vegan or can be made vegan. It was also more affordable than we expected. We were there for lunch but ordered a couple of dishes off the dinner menu as well, and when the bill came, it was only $136, including tax and tip, for nine people (4 adults + 5 kids). The menu can be seen on the restaurant's website at http://www.asinglepebble.com .

I am normally not that into Chinese food (I prefer other cuisines like Thai and Indian), but A Single Pebble made a convert out of me. I would give it an overall rating of five cows if I could, but Happycow only allows a maximum of four for a restaurant that isn't fully vegetarian. If you are ever in Burlington, don't miss it.

Pros: delicious, fresh, good service
Cons: worth the $$

Dear Owner and Manager of Single Pebble: