CLOSED: Singapore

Kosher vegetarian restaurant offering a variety of Southeast Asian vegetarian and vegan food, including dim sum. MAY 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN, PHONE NOT WORKING - REMOVED - sold. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Kosher, Southeast Asian, Singaporean, Chinese, Take-out, Delivery

Mon-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm

First Review by debigalanti
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Great food, very nice staff

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2013

Surprised to hear someone had a negative experience. I've been here for everything from your work-day lunch to birthday parties, and I've never heard a negative word about this place.

The staff are super friendly (especially the owner), the food is great, and the prices (especially lunch deals) are really good. I miss this place, a lot.

Pros: All-vegan, Super friendly, Lunch deals
thevegantwins
thevegantwins

One of my top 10 worst meals

Posted on 02 / 19 / 2012

I've been vegan for over 10 years and have eaten out in many places. The meal here was most definitely one of the worst. First, the decor of the restaurant was filthy meets tacky with a menu that was so stained and sticky that one wanted a bath afterwards. The four parties of my family ordered 2 dim sum samplers and 2 lunch specials. I would say 90% of the meal was inedible because of the extremely high salt content. It tasted like the chef emptied a salt shaker on to the food and then tried to scrape some of it off because some pieces weren't as heavily salted. The owner (?) asked us how our meal was and I explained to him about the problem. He told me that this was typical of Chinese dishes. I explained that I have eaten at veg Chinese places in NJ and NYC and have never eaten anything that was so salty that it was inedible. He again told me it was just my tastes. We ended up paying nearly $40 for water and a couple of items that were partly edible.

Pros: Polite staff, Large portions
Cons: Inedible food, Disgusting decor, Dirty
shoshana
shoshana

Americanized Chinese Food

Posted on 11 / 24 / 2011

Now that I live in China, I really miss Americanized Chinese food. It is a bit greasy but yummy. The owner there is really nice. They also have a private room upstairs where the do karaoke. We had a party there once and it was really fun and cheap to host. The decor isn't amazing but if it was I bet it would cost more.

kindlizard
kindlizard

best chinese anywhere

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

been all over US, by far the best chinese anywhere. Great food, hot & sour is unreal as is wonton soup. lots of great food. great staff, too. go here!!!!!!!!!
Updated from previous review on Friday April 06, 2007

Pros: best chinese, staff, prices
Cons: none
  • kindlizard kindlizard

i wrote this a while ago. just an update

the apps are usually solid, butt he entrees are hit or miss. some are too sweet or too deep fried, the sauce sits rather than mingles. Still the best place in the country I have had Chinese (and I go when I can), but inconsistent night to night and among their entrees.

OWNER is a Gem, truly good guy.

JenK6
JenK6

Huge disappointment

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2010

I was visiting Philadelphia for a conference at the end of March and I ordered take out from here. I ordered General Tso's Chicken and stuffed tofu pockets that were supposed to be fried. I don't think that's what I received. I don't even know what I got but they looked like friend dough balls stuffed with chicken (that chicken was so convincing that I went back to the website to make sure the place was totally vegetarian). All the food was very, very greasy, beyond what I find acceptable for fast take-out type food. In each bite the taste of grease was overwhelming. I felt pretty awful after eating this food and I ate it because I was STARVING from walking all over the city Gallery hopping.

Pros: Quick delivery
Cons: Greasy , Didn't get the right order
KATHLEEN W.
KATHLEEN W.

Nice place!

Posted on 11 / 12 / 2009

I have eaten here several times, and it is a good place to eat. Food is inexpensive, and the service is good. My only suggestion is to make it a vegan restaurant!

Pros: price, service
Cons: not all vegan
Jamie Roberts
Jamie Roberts

Just amazing

Posted on 08 / 26 / 2009

As other reviewers have mentioned, the "drumsticks" and pepper "steak" are to die for. This is the kind of food I never thought I'd be able to have again after becoming a vegetarian.

Pros: delicious, friendly staff, healthy food
findabiggerplace
findabiggerplace

Delicious

Posted on 01 / 22 / 2009

Singapore is one of 3 vegan restaurants in Chinatown. It is a great spot- family run, super clean, and delicious! Peter and his family are always accomodating with the menu, and will make most dishes fat-free or with little oil. My favorite dishes are: New Years Soup, Spicy Curry Chicken, Bean Curd Skin Knots with Ham, Crab Claw, and the curry hot pot.

Pros: Family Run, Accomodating, Friendly Owners
rvasquez
rvasquez

Great Vegan Chinese Food

Posted on 11 / 19 / 2008

This place is less than a block away from Kingdom, but it's just as good if not better. Very friendly staff. We had the sesame chicken and veggie buns for appetizers. The chicken was good, but the buns were a little bland. Our main dish was the Vegetable Tempura which was really good. Overall, I was very pleased.

Pros: Great Food, Good Price
hscohn
hscohn

Pretty Good

Posted on 08 / 22 / 2008

We had a really nice time here after having some awful veggie sushi at the Reading Terminal Market.
The "Chicken" Drumsticks were a real treat. Good soup. Nice people. Greeted us with a "Shalom".

Pros: Great Food, Fat Free Options
Cons: They might have a few high fat items.
bengarland
bengarland

Yummy Vegetarian Version of American Chinese

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2008

This place is great. It's exactly like just about any "Americanized" Chinese restaurant found all over the USA, except everything at Singapore is vegetarian! For this reason, I love it. You can find all of your favorite chinese food here, cheap chinese decor, chinese music, etc. Lovely. The prices are great too!

Pros: great value, delicious food
Cons: none
Midori
Midori

Top of the heap

Posted on 02 / 23 / 2008

This is my favorite of the all-veg restaurants in Chinatown. The pepper steak is delicious. Some of the other dishes are too sweet for me, which is a chronic problem in all of the Chinatown restaurants, but I've eaten consistently better here than in any of the others.

Richard Myers
Richard Myers

Very satisfying food

Posted on 12 / 19 / 2007

After my wife ran the Philadelphia marathon in November, we ate at the Singapore restaurant and found the vegan food excellent and very inexpensive. A definite plus to our eating adventures.

Yoshi
Yoshi

Fantastic!

Posted on 11 / 25 / 2007

Tried this place today. My wife and I both got the Dim Sum Sampler. The food was incredible. Hot and sour soup is superb, as are the 'chicken' drumsticks (complete with 'bone'.) Service is excellent, and the owner was friendly, funny, and hospitable. Only dissapointment was the scallion pancakes were not as good as the ones down the street at New Harmony. Everything else excelled. I can't wait 'till next Sunday to go back.

Pros: Great Food!, Great Service!, Great Atmosphere!
Cons: Too far away from my house!!
jaelee
jaelee

Great Southeast Asian Food

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2007

Excellent food in a convenient location in Chinatown.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Good Value
jkohler2
jkohler2

It's All Good

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2007

Everything you've heard is true. We were greeted by Peter Fong at the door who led us to a table. We ordered Seaweed soup with shredded vegetables, steamed bamboo leaf sticky rice dumpling, and Vegetarian Delight Buddist Style.
Every item was served promptly. We enjoyed them all. Orange slices, sesame treats and fortune cookies finished the meal. It was all good.

Pros: wide variety, served promptly, friendly manner
Cons: can't think of one
debigalanti
debigalanti

Love it

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2007

I love this place, I've tried some of the vegetarian restaurants out in Philly and this one takes them all. The service is very friendly, the food is delicious and the atmosphere is relaxing and quiet. I loved how I could order anything on the menu and know that it's fully vegan and not have to adjust much of the cooking. I asked for my "fish filet" to be steamed instead of fried and they had NO PROBLEMS w/ accomodating that.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine , friendly staff
Guest
Guest

Mmmm

Posted on 01 / 19 / 2007

Uber Yummy. I had to stop a minute and inspect the pseudo meat on my plate because it seriously tasted too "real." I went with a newly converted vegan friend and both of us agreed that the menu was more adventurous than Charles Plaza and the food was tasty tasty. I got the Phoenix Nest (on name alone) and was seriously happy. My companion got some unpronounceable item that had lotus roots and dried fruit, tofu and all kinds of crazy goodness. We were quite pleased. Definitely a repeater.

Pros: Good food, Pretty Cheap, Big Portions
Cons: Looks like a dump

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Singapore: