CLOSED: Simple Life

Located on the first floor, a healthier food restaurants. Uses eggs and honey in a few items. MAY 2014 THIS LOCATION REPORTED SHUT. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Organic, Chinese, Malaysian
150-A, Jalan Merdeka Taman Melaka Raya, Melaka
Malacca, Malaysia 75000
06-2819211
  • Cash only

First Review by +++VeGaNiSaToR+++
Neeruam
Neeruam

One of the best places in town

Posted on 04 / 05 / 2014

I had such a great dinner there. I ordered the Nasi Lemak for 11RM, and everything in the dish was a real pleasure, from the corn soup to the salty peanuts. The brown rice was really tasty. The vegetables were also really well cooked, but a little bit too spicy for me. I also had a nice drink made of a mix of tomatoes, cucumber and other things.

The staff seems to care about the vegan options, as they asked me if I wanted the Nasi Lemak with an egg or not.

Pros: Great food, Cheap prices for this quality
vegiemelb
vegiemelb

Healthy vegetarian food

Posted on 04 / 17 / 2013

This place is a winner with the brown rice making the difference. Had a couple of the set menus one with basil the other one with the big picture in the menu cost of 10.40RM Also had the soya noodles ... delicious.

Also has some combination juices which are not cheap for Malacca standards but you get what you pay for. Other drinks such as soy milk also available.

As another reviewer has mentioned the restaurant is downstairs now.

Up there with Man Yuan Fang as the best vegetarian restaurant in Malacca.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday April 17, 2013

Pros: Brown rice, Wide range of food, Friendly relaxed environment
Cons: Might not be cheap enough for everyone
shirogoma
shirogoma

Tasty organic meals that really made me happy!

Posted on 02 / 19 / 2012

Chinese style with simple, tasty ingredients.
Seems more produce focused rather than mock meat focused compared to most other Chinese Vegetarian restaurants I've been to.
Wonderful simple seasonings that don't overpower the natural flavour, rather, they enhance it.
Some Malay style options available.

They've recently moved the restaurant downstairs to street level and have a new glossy picture menu.
They have some pantry items for sale in the restaurant and more upstairs in the store - noodles, bean/seed drink powders, cookies, sauces, sweets, seasonings etc.
The music at times can be rather odd. Think loud rap followed by sappy love songs. Other times it's fine.

There are 10 set meals that come with a main dish, energy soup, multigrain rice, 2 side dishes and a piece of fruit (around RM15). I found them comfortably filling.
Almost 60 meal options (around RM10) in total and 30 drink options (RM5~8) ranging from veg/fruit juices and smoothies to teas and soy drinks.

We enjoyed the Organic beancurd hotpot set meal, Sechuan style rice stick set meal, the Lei Cha and the fried organic beancurd - so light it doesn't seem fried at all.
Also the black sesame soy drink was a treat.

We found the Nonya Laksa very bland and would not recommend it. Also any dish that specifies it contained tempeh usually had only 2 bite sizes pieces. : (

The staff are attentive, but I found the owner to be a touch unaccommodating. She ignored us on two separate occasions when we had a valid complaint. We were friendly about it, and I even spoke Mandarin but it seemed she honestly didn't care. There was a sign saying 'If you liked your meal tell your friends, if you didn't, tell us!', yet she wouldn't have a word.
Oh well, we would go back again for the healthy food for sure, however, Veggie Planet has similar options (I believe Simple Life modeled their new menu off Veggie Planet) with bigger servings at a cheaper price, and that's where we ended up dining more often.

Pros: Organic health options, Attached store, Close to other veg/organic stores
Cons: Boss a tad unhelpful, Strange music choices

amarcm
amarcm

Simple Food...Long Life

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2011

This place is located centrally in the main Melaka Raya commercial hub. The Chinese granny who runs the place is straight out of central casting, running this busy little restaurant with her young helpers.

The menu is not voluminous, but quality makes up for lack of quantity. All the standard dishes are featured, mainly Chinese but with a few Malay favourites thrown in. My favourite item was actually just a little snack called 'energy popiah' which is a big fat spring roll but not deep fried, so it is quite light and healthy. The set lunch for 10 ringitt is delectible but the portions are a little small for a grown man...more suited for a Japanese kindergarten student (I am thinking of bento boxes).

The basic approach is all light, nutrious and healthy, the menu is full of soups, noodles, rice, tofu and vegetables, so if you ate here regularly you probably live quite a simple and long life.

Pros: healthy food, nutrious ingredients, cosy surroundings
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++

no vegan

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2010

please change the colour, they use eggs and honey. But you can eat Vegan, try the pancake !

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Simple Life: