Serves meat, veg options available. Eclectic place with varied menu that includes wraps, sandwiches, pizza, falafel, stir frys, pasta, burgers, and milkshake. Has a vegan section on menu with items like tempeh, tofu; dedicated vegan fryer. Gluten free options. Casual atmosphere, tables stocked with playing cards. Closed on Mon. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

colonelforbin
colonelforbin

Near perfection

4 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2014

I adore Silly's for so many reasons. As a person with a family who cannot bear the thought of eating vegan/vegetarian, this is a place that we can all agree to go to when they visit. There are many wonderful vegan options here (fantastic falafel, great fried pickles with a vegan sauce, awesome veggie burgers, desserts and more) along with many meat dishes to choose from. This is a great place to go if you're having a craving for food that might not be very good for you, though. They certainly serve greasy bar-style food but it is quite tasty!

The atmosphere is also veeeery cool; the decorations make the restaurant look like one big party. The waiters and waitresses (there are certainly more of the latter) are usually very nice. I've only had one encounter with a waitress being very unfriendly.

Pros: Delicious vegan meals!, Many options for non-veges, Fun atmosphere
Cons: Not healthy, but that's okay sometimes!
mmmscott
mmmscott

very good

4 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

lots to choose from.
the fries were a bit greesy. I had portabella mushroom sandwich and it was very big and tasty.

trematode
trematode

Should have ordered the pizza...

2 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2013

Based on the previous reviews, I probably hit Silly's up on a bad day.

I was really excited for Silly's because it had a wide variety of food and vegan shakes. My Elvis shake was a little warm and not very thick. I ordered a wrap with tofu. It came out wrapped in waxed paper with no plate. The BBQ sauce on my wrap leaked out of the paper and went all over the table. The boyfriend's Tofu in a Dingy had a hair in it. The food didn't wow me. I found it a bit on the bland side.

My non-veggie friend ordered pizza. That looked delicious. She really enjoyed her meal.

If I am ever in the area again, I would skip the wraps and go straight for the pizza and splurge on dessert.

We dined on the patio. There were lots of interesting things to look at. I loved how there were theme bathrooms: one was wine and another was beer. When I asked where they were, I was told I had a choice haha. I love novel things like that.

Pros: inexpensive, fun atmosphere, friendly staff
Cons: food was bland

elephantelizabeth
elephantelizabeth

Stomach ache full- in a good way!!

4 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

I ate so much when I came to Silly's I though I would explode. All in a good way of course. Silly's is the coolest restaurant in the whole world. I went twice on my trip to Portland. You can put a slice of cake in a shake, vegan of course. Also they have pizza with sweet potato on it (my fav veggie).I don't think it gets any better than that.
The staff was so nice and I loved talking to them! They definitely didn't make us wait for a table as long as we were supposed to because we were friendly to them.

Pros: Cake shakes, Staff, Cool atmosphere
Cons: My tummy isn't big enough!!
whatdoesntbend
whatdoesntbend

Crowd-pleasing option, be careful with takeout

3 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2013

Silly's is a great place to go if you're into a fun, often-crowded atmosphere, and need a huge amount of variety. Their cakes and shakes are to die for (veg*n and non-veg*n options alike), and the food is consistently good quality. We typically opted for takeout. The last 2 times I've ordered from them, however, part or all of the order was incorrect, which could result in disaster if you've ordered a vegan burger and wind up with a fried egg in place of your extra avocado! Be prepared to double-check your orders and make sure you leave extra time to wait for a remake if necessary.

Pros: solid food, huge variety, fun family environment
Cons: crowded seating, inaccurate orders, inattentive counter staff
VeganAimee18
VeganAimee18

Silly's is my favorite!

4 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2013

Silly's has an incredible atmosphere, phenomenal food, and great decor! The staff is friendly and down to earth, and the food options are impeccable. It's a fantastic restaurant because it has equally delicious options for vegans, vegetarians, and meat-eaters alike. Everything is fresh and full of flavor. My favorite vegan dishes are the Hashpipe Burrito and the Vegan Meltaway (among many others!). Also, during the summer, the outside seating is a must! It's funky, beautiful and fun. I definitely recommend Silly's to anyone in the Portland area, no matter your food lifestyle!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, awesome vibe
studentcareer
studentcareer

Great food, reasonably priced, cool atmosphere

4 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2012

Highly recommend visiting Silly's. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I had the chili and then ordered a side of beans/rice, which they made despite not being on the menu. The chili was excellent. My wife had the veggie burger, which she described as "great!" Happycow does not allow a rating of more than 4 cows for a non-vegetarian restaurant, otherwise I would have gave them the full 5.

Pros: Atmosphere, price, staff
tuni
tuni

cute and casual

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2012

I love the outdoor seating area, so cute and fun to play cards(poker) while waiting for our food. Can get a little too loud inside. I have been there several times and it is great they have so many vegan options. I really like their pizzas, try the garbanzo crust. Their burgers I find boring and too dry. Their tofu in a dingy is good, the KaaNoodling is good but could need some more sauce. Their sweet potato fries are also very good. Try the vegan Cocoa Doodle-Doo for dessert, really yummi. Staff is very nice too.

Pros: great food, atmosphere
willow54sunset
willow54sunset

Good selection of food

4 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2010

I was recently visiting Maine and stayed for most of my stay in Portland. I went to Silly's for lunch one day based on the reviews here, and was not disappointed.
The vegan items were clearly labeled on the menu and I had "The Veganator Scramble" - it was excellent!! I ate outside, the staff was friendly, and I left feeling very satisfied.

Pros: Good vegan selection, good tasting food, friendly staff
Tom
Tom

Fun spot

4 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2010

Silly's has a ton of veg options, and they have nice outdoor seating in their funky backyard in good weather. Fun atmosphere. Their "Tempeh Of Doom" is excellent, along with their "Rest In Pizza" which is spicy and delicious, and now comes with Daiya melted on top ! The vegan pesto bread is also scrumptious.

nhfoos
nhfoos

Good and friendly service.

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2009

Felt there were two ingredients missing from the chimi but then again it wasn't a Mexican restaurant, it was delicious regardless. the dining area is small and social, liked that, felt like home. The waitress was very friendly, seemed to enjoy her job and was very attentive. the menu was full of interesting choices which will make me go back when in Portland. was with a party of four and played a round of cribbage before the meal, that was a good touch as well. this place is what I seek when dining, fun atmosphere, good food and friendly waitstaff. was good start of a fun evening before a Phish show.

Pros: Menu options, Waitstaff
Cons: Bathroom, Dimly lite
Lobstergirl
Lobstergirl

silly's is great

4 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2009

Portland was a nice stopping point while traveling through Maine. we gave sillys a try and i am grateful for it. they had so many options for vegans it took us a long time to decide. i just had try the curry vegan milkshake! it was the best milkshake i have ever had. the food was good too. however they r lacking in side dish creativity; i had to pass on the oily fries so that i could ea my fried tofu and continue to my life without cardiac disease. very cute atmosphere and friendly staff

Pros: awesome milkshakes, plenty of vegan options, great staff
Cons: a little bit oily, difficult to have a balanced meal
aradiapixie
aradiapixie

yay sillys

4 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2008

Silly's is a great place, and everyone I know loves going there, vegetarians/vegans/meat eaters alike. I haven't been there since the summer, but according to another review there is a whole separate vegan menu now! I'll have to check that out!

It's a really fun place, they have a deck of cards on every table to play while you wait, and there are board games on shelves that you can grab and play. Always fun music. They have a vegan pizza (it's pretty good, no soy cheese though, just sauce and veggies), and a great vegan pesto pasta dish that I usually get. They also have some great wraps (they have awesome hummus). In the summer I love eating outside in the yard.

Pros: fun wacky place, good vegan food, sometimes has vegan deserts

Dear Owner and Manager of Silly's Restaurant: