Silence-Heart-Nest...

A Sri Chimoy inspired veggie restaurant serving vegetarian and vegan food since 1986. The extensive menu features a variety of egg scrambles and breakfast items served all day plus salads, sandwiches, veggieburgers, hot plates, and more. Bargain breakfast menu offered weekdays before 11am. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Indian, Take-out
3508 Fremont Place N (Fremont District)
Seattle, Washington 98103
206-633-5169

Open Mon-Fri 8am-2:30pm, Sat-Sun 8am-3pm.

First Review by spicard23
Miso Vegan
Miso Vegan

Not so vegan

2 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

In its previous location, SHN had more vegan options, but now in Fremont it has fewer, and they aren't stellar. Since there aren't many places at all in Fremont for vegans (besides the PCC deli, which is hit-or-miss), if you find yourself here you'll at least be able to eat.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 13, 2006

Pros: consistently good, fair prices, atmosphere
Cons: few vegan dishes, limited hours
ypreston
ypreston

Tasty breakfast

4 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2012

This place has great service, and I felt all the serving ladies had an amazing energy. The food came out quickly, though I was disappointed that there weren't as many vegan options as I'd hoped there would be. I got the tofu scramble, which was hearty. I did order a tea and didn't know I had to specify a different milk if I didn't want cow's milk. But I quickly realized when my drink came out; my waitress was understanding and quickly replaced my drink. Overall, I'd go back for the service and good food, and I do recommend it.

lolchoff
lolchoff

Not for Lacto-Vegetarians or Vegans.... :(

2 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2011

I was a customer of the original Silence-Heart-Nest back in 1986, back when they were located in the U-District. Sadly, they have changed, and not for the better.

Back then, there were many options for vegans and lacto vegetarians. Yet today, there are - I believe - only two menu items that are available for vegans. I came for brunch/lunch and ended up with the dal soup (delicious!) and bread. Sadly, Silence-Heart-Nest has chosen NOT to offer a vegetarian/vegan breakfast scramble. And, the "veggie" burger contains eggs. The wait staff was patient with my ingredient-based questions, yet unsympathetic. I got the sense they were "meditating" through my list of questions.

Sadly, I won't be going back to this restaurant I had once loved.

Pros: nice vibes, healthy food
Cons: almost no vegan offerings, almost no pure-veg (non-egg) options, not open to changing the menu
thoor_ballylee
thoor_ballylee

good vegetarian breakfast

3 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2011

I've only been here once, the place has a kind of Indian cultish thing going for it which I dig. If you're a vegetarian and looking for a good hearty breakfast in the Fremont area then you should check this place out, it is an experince worth having but I don't reccomend this place for vegans. I took my daughter and they have fun toys for her to play with and she really enjoyed eating here after playing with her troll, I would go back.

Pros: location, good simple food
Cons: not very vegan friendly
Vegite
Vegite

One of the Best!

4 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2010

I absolutely love this place. From the quaint blue decor to the waiters dressed in saris, to the delicious, reasonably priced food. This breakfast/lunch vegetarian heaven has a charming atmosphere. Even my non-vegetarian friends like the food (such as the fake meatloaf). I haven't been here in a while, but as of the last time I ate there, the hours were only morning/afternoon. If this place was open at night, or at least for an early evening, I bet it would get a lot of business.

Pros: The food rocks, character & charm, the staff
Cons: no dinner hours, no parking
noin_hime
noin_hime

An Excellent Breakfast

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2009

My boyfriend and I went here one morning and we both had a really good breakfast. I had the vegan "Western Roundup" (potatoes, vegan sausage, biscuts and gravy) and he had one of the omlettes. He's a non-vegitariean and he really enjoyed his meal and so did I. The sweet potato biscuts that came with my meal were particularly good. One of the negatives is the limited vegan options. Another one is that the spiritual cult vibe you get here. The whole restaurant is basically a shrine to this Indian spiritual leader. It's a little unerving but doesn't affect the food. I'm glad I went, will go again, and would reccomend it to anyone.

Pros: Excellent Food, Good Biscuts, Friendly Staff
Cons: Cult Vibe, Limited vegan options
lolamigas
lolamigas

Decent Breakfast

3 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2008

Has a few vegan items. A little disappointed that their bacon has egg in it.

Tried the tofu scramble, sausage patties and biscuits and gravy. The sweet potato biscuits and cashew gravy were good. The patties weren't bad either. The scramble was alright; I was glad I had the gravy to eat it with. Overall I felt overcharged.

It was good but definitely not a favorite. Better if you're not vegan, I guess.

Pros: good biscuits, location
Cons: some things lacked flavor, limited vegan selection
donalf
donalf

A LOVELY PLACE FOR LOVELY PEOPLE

4 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2007

We go here every week end for breakfast for a couple of years now. A nice place. Drop in sometime

Pros: Menu, Price
Cons: Some of the staff could be a bit more fr
veglover
veglover

Great Food, Even Greater Service

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2007

Great food, every time. The flavors are wonderful, and the servers happy, friendly, and peaceful. This place is on my "must visit" list when I am showing friends around Seattle, or just having brunch myself. Vegans may have just a few choices here, but at least there is a few. Parking is very tough sometimes, so be prepared to do some walking.

Pros: Great food, Great Service, Great atmosphere
Cons: Parking, Parking, Parking
spicard23
spicard23

One Word: "Adore!"

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2006

I love this place! The coffee is fantastic, the menu is vegan-friendly and well-varied, and the staff (while a little on the *ahem* "culty" side) is always radiantly friendly and kind. This is a restaurant that deserves community support. I wish they had more hours.

Pros: fantastic food, vegan options, friendly staff
Cons: limited hours, closed for vacations

Dear Owner and Manager of Silence-Heart-Nest Vegetarian Restaurant: