Signor Verde

Milk-free coffee bar serving organic fair trade coffee, vegan cakes and muffins, snacks, baguettes, waffles, and daily specials. English spoken. Re-opened at this location in Jan 2013; previously on Bobstr. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Western, German, Bakery, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Otto-Fischer-Str. 1 (Bahnhof Sud)
Cologne, Germany 50677
+49-2213402559

Open Tue-Fri 12-10pm, Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 11am-6pm.

• Cash only

First Review by hannes
BirgitA
BirgitA

Absolut empfehlenswert!

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2014

Es war Burgerday!!! Einfach superlecker, für jeden was dabei und nette und schnelle Bedienung. Wir kommen wieder!

MarionHammer
MarionHammer

Vegan, bio, super freundlich und unfassbar schön

5 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2014

Ich war mit meinen omnivoren Eltern, Oma und Onkel im Signor Verde und alle, inklusive mein Vater (ich konnte es kaum glauben), waren hellauf begeistert. Ich habe mittlerweile einige vegane Restaurants im Bundesgebiet ausprobiert - in Berlin, Regensburg, Erlangen und nun Köln - und kann nicht genug erwähnen, wie glücklich ich war das Signor Verde erleben zu dürfen. Das Essen: Vegan UND bio und SOOOOO lecker (wir hatten Chili sin carne, Getränke, "Mett"-Brot, Salat, diverse Nachtische - Kuchen, Dessertcreme und Eis). Die Bedienung, Köchin und Besitzer: Alle super freundlich und aufgeschlossen, hilfs- und gesprächsbereit. Und die Einrichtung: So unfassbar schön und genau mein Geschmack mit dunklerem Holz und Jugendstillämpchen überall, wunderschönen, antiken, bunten (Decken!)fenstern, Klavier, Sofas, Eis- und Getränketheke und einem Winkel, wo nochmal Sitzgelegenheiten sind. Sogar die Toilette ist wunderschön. Wir haben all fünf das Signor Verde zufrieden und überglücklich verlassen und bereuen tu ich nur, nicht in Köln zu wohnen. Danke, dass ihr vegan und bio und sogar fair trade essen gehen so genüsslich und vergnüglich gestaltet habt und damit meiner Familie gezeigt habt, dass dies möglich ist! Das schönste Restauranterlebnis, was ich je in meinem Leben erleben durfte. Marion Hammer

Pros: Essen, Einrichtung, Personal
anderson_santos
anderson_santos

Very disappointing

2 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2013

I was there 3 times, and the first two was just nothing impressive, if not a bit boring food. But the last time I went there because I was craving for a GOOD cake. Arriving there they only had one "peanut tarte", which was a dry sweet cake with salty peanuts on top. My friend ordered crepes, and they served the crepes that were standing there for hours with cheap vegan cream.

I haven't tried the new vegan places yet, but I'm glad this is not the only vegan place in Cologne anymore. I don't like it at all.

v_mdj
v_mdj

Simple but very tasty

3 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2013

It looks a bit like a shabby pub but the food is good and the people are very friendly. I ordered a carrotsoup, a wrap, something to drink and a soja macchiato for € 14,50, really inexpensive. Simple but very tasty and when I'm in Cologne again I will certainly visit this place again.
Updated from previous review on Friday October 11, 2013

Updated from previous review on Friday October 11, 2013

Pros: tasty, inexpensive, friendly people
Cons: a little bit shabby
Ophee
Ophee

Love it!!!! Totally go here!!!

5 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2013

I really enjoyed this place. I love the selections for both sweet and savory dishes. They change their options a lot so it is either a surprise for the specials or you can look on facebook.

Pros: Good location, nice atmosphere, good food, great selection

Mademoisella
Mademoisella

My favourite place in Cologne

5 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2013

I can really recommend this place to everybody who comes to Cologne! It's a small place in vintage-style with a very good atmosphere and mostly good music! The food changes but everything I had there was great! You can order from the breakfast menu until 3 o'clock! Very nice vegan egg for example. The cakes and muffins are wonderful too especially with their coffees and hot chocolates. The owner speaks English and is very open and friendly. Best place to eat!

Pros: 1 min. from the station "Köln Süd", serve gluten free, if You want, nice atmosphere and delicious food!
Cons: small menue
cjs0607
cjs0607

Great.

5 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2013

I used to go there once a week while living in Cologne and I really miss it. You never know what the menu will be like because (apart from standard dishes), the sorts of cake often change, sometimes you get (incredibly good) ice cream and sometimes you don't, from time to time you get croissants and so on. But they definitively have great coffee there, everything is fairly traded and organic, if possible. And of the many different cakes I've had there, there was exactly none which didn't taste absolutely delicious.
The staff is really friendly, but it depends on how much is going on there how fast they'll serve what you ordered.
The place is really cozy, but a bit dark though.

Pros: always great cakes, nice staff, fair trade, organic, renewable energy!
spikeyjim
spikeyjim

Great vegan restaurant!

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

I went to Signor Verde in July 2013 and I was super impressed by the healthy vegan options! The staff were friendly and helpful and the special scrambled tofu was awesome. I left with a cheap and super cone of vegan ice cream :)

Pros: Out door seating, Very vegan, Vegan ice cream :)
Tofuschnecke
Tofuschnecke

Great Döner!

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2013

Tasty food, especially the famous Döner (every thursday)!
I'm only in Cologne when I visit my family, so I don't go there often and haven't really, hm, "acclimatized" to the new place yet. I still miss the old one a bit.
But the owner is still very friendly and the food still good and everything, so I'll get used to it ;)
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 06, 2013

Pros: Friendly staff, Great food, Great coffee
Cons: Sometimes you wait a while, Menu not very extensive
coi
coi

Try it

4 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2013

After they moved the opening hours are finally more constant. Some dishes are too expensive in my opinion. You wait a long time even for a sandwich even if there is nobody else exept you (happens sometimes).

They don´t have a big choice of dishes but those they have are quite different and creative. You should try some of the dessert.

Pros: creative dishes, good located, vintage atmosphere inside
Cons: high price, long time waiting, few dishes to choose
Guest
Guest

Colognes best cafe

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2013

I can really recommend this place. I have been here many times. The menu might not offer the greatest choice but everything is made freshly. Erik the owner is always creating new dishes and everything turns out really good. The new place is larger and very comfortable.

Pros: excellent food, good value
Verdura
Verdura

Very tasty vegan food

5 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2013

Nice relaxed atmosphere with a good selection of foods at decent prices. Friendly staff and comfortable seating. What more do you want? :-)

Pros: nice atmosphere, good tasting food, friendly staff
ProtonVehiCROSS
ProtonVehiCROSS

Great Little Vegan Cafe

5 Posted on 04 / 12 / 2013

I ate here in April 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed my vegan dinner. The waiters spoke English and the "dinner menu" seems to be a fixed selection set by the chef. Not a lot of menu choices but everything I was served was excellent. I enjoyed the vegan mozzarella panini as well.
Updated from previous review on Friday April 12, 2013

Pros: Quality, Vegan, Price
Cons: Modest Selection
hhvegan
hhvegan

friendly food!

4 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2013

What a nice place! The food is really good (had scrambled tofu w toast, soy latte and cake) and the owner and staff are super friendly.
Cozy atmosphere and a nice and diverse crowd make this a place I will always come back to. And they have a piano, which is always a plus! :-)

Pros: friendly staff, late breakfast, vegan cocktail nights
Sandora
Sandora

New place really cozy!

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2013

Signor Verde moved through November 2012. The new place is really cozy, quaint and rustic and looks like an old German pub/restaurant and it feels a bit like home :)
Heard that in summer there will be outside seating.
What changed is that they offer breakfast now. Also vegan beers and wine.
Main dish changes daily. Thursday remains Döner Kebab day. Desserts change daily and most of the time they're superdelicious!!

Pros: Staff really friendly!
Dofer
Dofer

Very nice place

5 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2012

There are places where you get in and immediately feel good. "Signor Verde" is one of these places. The people there receive you with such a smile, that you are happy even before you eat something.

Then you eat something, and get even happier. In my case the daily dish was a vegan goulash, exactly what I needed for my lunch.

And then you eat the deserts, and you get even happier. I tried the hot cacao, a fantastic cupcake with vanilla cream, and of course ice cream. I want to come back to Cologne even if only for these deserts.

Pros: Nice people, Excellent food, Great atmosphere
Viola
Viola

best vegan cafe

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2012

I went there a few weeks ago with some friends and had incredibly good tasting muffins and a chocolate macchiato. The owner and the staff are very friendly and you only find nice people there. However, don't be deterred to go there by some 'special' looking vegans as I call them- covered with tattoos, huge tunnels in their ears, sometimes gothic look. Without wanting to judge them- they're really nice- it at first kept me from entering because I thougth only those vegans would be in the cafe, but that's not the case.
I think it's the best if not only milk-free cafe in Cologne. :)

Pros: delicious, friendly staff
IngridV
IngridV

Wish I was living close by

5 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

I went there while I was visiting Cologne.
Great place, really cosy, great staff
Seriously insanely inexpensive
I had an unforgettable coconut lemon cake (that my mouth didn't forgot, though it was a month ago lol)
and a really tasty filling ice coffee.
Will definitely come back

Pros: so tasty, nice staff, great place
Cons: should be open everyday!
zitchdog
zitchdog

Awesome food and drinks

5 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2012

Signor Verde offers not only delicious food and drinks, but also a very nice atmosphere and a very nice owner, Erik. We absolutely love this place and eat there everytime we are in Cologne. If you just want a hot barista coffee or a snack or even a whole vegan meal - here you can find it. It always tastes really yummy.

Pros: yummy, vegan and organic, not expensive
Bakunin
Bakunin

Bonn's only vegan Coffee Bar is located in Cologne

5 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2011

Nice place to get a very good coffee and some great little snacks.

Pros: Atmosphere, Coffee and snacks, Value for money
heywood100
heywood100

Excellent!

5 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2011

This was a wonderful find - a completely vegan sandwich bar/cafe near the centre of Koln! many of the sandwiches included vegan cheese, which I'm not usually much of a fan of, but which was very good on this occasion; and the chai lattes and teas were also very good, and helped to relax us on an otherwise hectic weekend.

The atmosphere of the place is also to be recommended - I was a little concerned that it was completely empty when we turned up, but over the course of the hour and a bit that we sat there, the place filled up inside and out, and the staff were very friendly, explaining things in German and English.

Highly, highly recommended.

pelzfrei
pelzfrei

Best Vegan dairy Free Coffe Bar / Bistro in town

5 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2010

The best vegan cafe / Bar with lovely .. food and delicious Drinks / Smoothies ..
If you are in Cologne ..you have to visit Erik and the SIgnor Verde Cafe :)

Pros: green, yummy, Erik the Owner
Al-Cajon
Al-Cajon

Delicious!!

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2010

I've been there yesterday and I took as much as I could handle. It was "Doenerstag" so the special dish for this day was Kebap (of course vegan style, as everything in this local!). It was delicious!! (reminded me of a real Kebap). I ate also icecream (walnut) and two Muffins. I think altogether it was about 8,50€. Really cheap for such a great taste!! The atmosphere was by the way not that special, but whatever., it's well located (not that far away from colognes center)

So I recommend: If your in Cologne give it definitively a try.
5 cows

Pros: Taste!, Price, Specials
Cons: Atmosphere
eattherich
eattherich

Amazing!

5 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2009

Signor Verde is a MUST if you're a vegan in Cologne. I've lost track of how many times I've been there in the past couple of months -each time I visit Cologne from London I have to go here. Great atmosphere, very friendly guy and EXCELLENT food and drink. The 'heiße Schokolade' is amazing!

Pros: Great food and drink, Friendly owner, Nice and clean
xvegankx
xvegankx

Fantastic vegan place.

5 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2009

Signor Verde is not only a vegan coffee bar.

It had got amazing baguettes (try the hause baguette), a daily special (this time it was ciabatta with pesto, totatoes, fresh basil and vegan cheese--> really delicious!), hot-dog, some really nice cakes (we had a cherry-chocolate cake and an apple cake, both very nice).

We had a coffee and a hot chocolate "milk": the foam was shaped into a heart!

It's a cozy place, where you can relax after a busy day.

The owner is really friendly. He showed us a vegan shop in Cologne, where we bought some lovely vegan cheese.
We had a lovely talk about veganism and environmentalism.

We wish him all the best!

Pros: menu, location, owner
Cons: nothing
yvo
yvo

coffee, anyone?

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2009

My girlfriend and I went to get some coffee here. First thing we noticed when we arrived was that the whole menu is vegan which is really nice. You can drink different sorts of coffee (my girlfriend really liked the café latté for example) and there a small menu with ciabatta and other sandwiches on it. I had a piece of 'cheesecake' which was quite good. On our way out we grabbed a vegan 'magnum'-icecream, try if you see them!
The owner is really friendly, helpful and relaxed.
The only downside was that there were some items in the showcase that didn't look very fancy or makes your appitite grow huge. A cookie is not something I'd put in the showcase, I'd like to see it filled with cakes and pies. But than again, this is a minor detail.

Go there and enjoy your vegan cappuchino!

Pros: friendly staff!, all vegan!, good coffee!
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Such as fantastic place with WONDERFUL FOOD !!!

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2009

Signor Verde is so much more than a Coffee Bar! That is an understatement! The Baguettes are incredible & we were there on Thursday when they do a special Vegan Donor in a delicious bread wrap. I had an Oatmilk Macchiato which was also outstanding. The place itself is very chill & with comfortable outdoor seating to enjoy the fresh air and views. Eric the owner really took care of us and customized our dishes so they wouldn't contain added fat. In the end, however, we were bad kids and sampled the Chocolate covered Rice Ice Cream on a stick :) It is apparently a must have so we indulged on 20 grams of fat and took a leisurely stroll back to the hotel through the beautiful city. We highly recommend you split one :) Signor Verde is a must visit and I would be a regular if I lived here. We had one of the most pleasurable experiences here in all of our travels. I can't think of another Vegan Coffee Bar, which makes this an extra special experience.

Pros: LOW PRICES!!!, Coffee & Baguettes, Specials & Ice cream Bar
kosmokatze
kosmokatze

Worth a visit

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2009

A very nice atmosphere and very clean inside and out.
Friendly service and delicious vegan snacks.
Loved the amount of foam in my coffee and especially enjoyed the vegan ice creams.
Before going to Starbucks (as what use to be the only place with soy milk) I would always walk the little bit extra for all the vegan options and friendly service.

hannes
hannes

the only vegan cafe in cologne!

5 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2009

'the green guy'is located in walking distance from the city centre and quickly became my refuge. its relaxing atmosphere benefits not only the student who prefers to read his books with a perfect latte macchiato close by, but also the hungry ones who crave for a sweet treat (cupcakes) or a hearty snack ('currywurst', here in its vegan disguise).
there are plenty non-diary alternatives to cow 'milk' like soy, soy-rice and oat. you can even enjoy your cake with cream(soy or rice)!
erik, the owner and barista, put emphasis on a vegan and eco-friendly paint-job and wooden furniture. he's always up for a nice chat or a comment on the daily newspaper-madness.

what a great place to be!

ps: great prices, especially for the caffeine-lovers!

Pros: friendly staff, great non-diary latte macchiato, yummy food

Dear Owner and Manager of Signor Verde: