Serves noodle, rice, dumpling, and other Chinese food. Chinese name is 蔬食園. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese

First Review by VeganBiker
smithintaiwan
smithintaiwan

Great veg jajangmyeon

5 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2014

In the street that Koreans go to for jajangmyeon (black bean noodles), it's nice to have a vegetarian version of it available. Jajangmyeon is technically Chinese food, but much more popular in Korea. Its popularity in Korea is said to have begun at a restaurant just across the street from Shu Shi Yuan. That building has since been turned into the Jajangmyeon Museum. A filling lunch of the veg noodles was only 6000, quite a good price for a meal in Chinatown. The menu also had a wide variety of (much more expensive) soy and mushroom meats.

Also, the directions in the first review seem to be the long way around. The map is correct. From Incheon Subway Station walk through the Chinatown gate and proceed to the main intersection. Turn right, follow to the end and you will see the restaurant on the left beside a large Catholic church. There was no English sign up when I went in May, 2014.

Pros: Rare veggie Jajangmyeon, inexpensive options, nicely decorated
Sex in the Siti
Sex in the Siti

Vegan Chinese Style.. (very agreeable).!

3 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2014

The best way to get to this place is to catch a subway to Jonggak though it is still yet a 1 mile walk to Insadong Cultural District where you will find a Tourist Information Booth next to the main road.

Three streets down on the left from the booth you will find a shopping courtyard and at the end of that enclave you turn left and follow the narrow walkways for some distance until you see on the right a sign which says "Vegetarian Restaurant". I am being specific here because it is a very difficult location to get to.

The food inside is Vegan, it is excellent and the atmosphere is warm and cozy.

It is traditional Korean seating which can be a bit uncomfortable if your not Asian, yet it's a good place to eat good food and relax.

I'm Jeffory Wattson.
e:dauntless001seal@hotmail.com and you can follow me on Twitter@SoftGreenHands
Updated from previous review on Monday March 31, 2014

VeganBiker
VeganBiker

Worth a Try

3 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2014

The taste didn't blow me away, but they offer a huge menu and I've only tried a few items. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that I made poor choices and there are some hidden gems among the several dozen choices.

The hostess was quite nice and spoke decent English, which always helps! She also warned me against ordering too much. I thought, based on some of the prices, that the dishes would be much smaller than they were, so in retrospect, I was grateful for her warning. I still ended up taking some food home.

In the Korea culinary landscape, vegan diners must embrace a "beggars can't be choosers" mentality if they plan on surviving. There aren't many options, but there are some! Shu Shi Yuan, while it may not be the freshest or most innovative cuisine available, is reasonably priced, relaxed, ideally located, and good enough to add to the list of vegan destinations for visitors or expats.

*one note: I asked the hostess if there was any egg in the menu. I asked in Korean and English. I was told "no". I later noticed a giant tray of eggs in the kitchen in plain view. I'm not sure where they were going, but it certainly raised an eyebrow.

Pros: Location, Menu Options, Atmosphere
Cons: Suspicious Eggs

Dear Owner and Manager of Shu Shi Yuan: