Shojin organic and natural food is a vegan Japanese restaurant in Los Angeles Little Tokyo. Its menu offers a variety of vegetable sushi rolls plus salads, appetizers, ramen noodle, and seitan entrees. Intimate space, on the 3rd floor of Little Tokyo Square shopping mall with parking in the plaza lot. Busy on weekend evenings so reserve ahead. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Japanese, Fusion, Macrobiotic, Take-out
333 S Alameda St Unit 310 (3rd St)
Los Angeles, California 90013
213-617-0305

Open Mon-Fri 5:30pm-11pm, Sat 12-11pm, Sun 12-10pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by button
Moneyz
Moneyz

Best Vegan Sushi

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2014

I went to shojin about a year ago with my family and it was delicious! I had their dynamite sushi, and two others one was made from eggplant and the other was imitation crab. I didn't like the eggplant too much because of the texture. The crab was yummy but so filling I couldn't finish all of the rolls. The dynamite sushi rolls were my favorite by far. Even better was the soup there. My family tried a little of everything and they were very impressed. The food is wonderful but it is expensive. So make sure you plan your budget accordingly. I would come here again on very special occasions. The restaurant is elegant and classy definitely a place I would go to on a date or with close friends. Its also a little bit small but that is not an issue at all! This is still one of the best restaurants I've been to, especially for the sushi. Not to mention the staff gave me a complimentary peach tea that was also wonderful.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly Staff, Customer Servicr
Cons: Expensive , Dim
roivoire
roivoire

Fun, Adventurous Rolls And Adorable Staff

5 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2014

I love sushi - it was my favorite food all growing up until I went vegan. Most times, veg rolls at conventional Japanese joints lack inspiration. None of that here. The Pirates of the Crunchy, and others are delicious and surprising. Some stuff is a little heavy, but on the whole, super yummy. Items from the rest of the menu are good too, and the native Japanese staff are sweet and attentive.

Pros: Innovative, Elegant
Cons: Rich, Not Too Much Gluten Free
ronitw
ronitw

Bait and Switch

2 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2014

We received an email offer from Shojin for a Christmas Day dinner - I copied and pasted the following:

Special Five-Course Christmas Menu:
Soup / Salad / Sushi / Entree / Complimentary Dessert
$48 per person

We made reservations for two. When we came in, we were told that we get ONE dessert included! We were too embarrassed to argue, as we had no written proof on hand. We paid $10 extra for the second dessert.

Coming home and checking my email, I realized that we should have received TWO desserts indeed. I emailed them a complaint, expecting a quick apology and an offer for a dessert on our next visit.

After a month of futile email exchanges, I received an apology "that we did not make everything clear in the original email" - but their original email was very clear. They offered nothing else.

I would give one cow rating if there was such an option.

Cons: Bad customer relations, Very expensive
brandalock
brandalock

Very Romantic

5 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2013

If you are looking for some Vegan romance check out Shojin. It is so hard to find a vegan restaurant with a nice ambiant atmosphere and when my husband and I discovered Shojin we knew where to spend Valentine's Day.

Pricey but worth it, especially for nice occassions. The food is truly to die for! Do yourself a favor and save up so you can indulge in a three course meal here. It is located inside a mall, which was really weird at first, but once we stepped inside the restaurant they very cleverly made us forget all about it.

We cannot wait to check out their new location in Culver City!

Pros: Amazing Cuisine, Romantic Ambiance, High quality service
Cons: Inside a mall
Chia
Chia

Good Food, Intimate Ambiance

5 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2013

I had learned about this restaurant on HappyCow when it had first opened (Dec 2007?) and have eaten here many times since. Was here again in April 2013, and here's my Shojin review update.

It seems that Shojin is constantly evolving, changing its menus, and adding new things. The current menu features a range of contemporary vegan Japanese cuisine: veggie sushi rolls, salads, soups and ramen noodle, and a few hot plates with seitan. Also on the menu are a range of beverages. The desserts always change, so you have to ask about it.

The space is rather small and intimate with very dim lights. The food is always well-prepared and presented.

I like the different ramen noodle options as well the assorted vegetable sushi rolls. For the rolls, the sauce can get too salty, so I ask them to put the sauce on the side instead of a pour over.

Dessert-wise, I like their baked cakes. The raw cakes tend to be too dense (made with nuts and coconut butter).

The service is very good. Can get pricey, though. To me Shojin feels more like a special occasion outing, or a date night place, or if you have lots of money and enjoy spending it on yummy food, then definitely enjoy it here.

Pros: delicious food, good service
Cons: gets pricey

sriblet
sriblet

Spectacular meal, atmosphere and experience!

5 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2013

A resident of Philadelphia, I am extremely fortunate to have the restaurant Vedge at my fingertips whenever I want (which isnt often enough) but Shojin easily gives Vedge a run for its money. Even with a non-vegan boyfriend, we were both blown away by the food and experience! In the middle of a weird Japanese shopping mall, once you step through the curtained entrance, there is no looking back. The dimly lit but beautiful interiors are first striking but once the food hits your mouth its over. We so enjoyed the Asian inspired appetizers, two rolls and dessert (chocolate cake) which was fantastic! The staff was incredibly kind and attentive and best of all, the prices were very reasonable. If you are anywhere within 50 miles of LA, you must pay a visit to Shojin!

Pros: Unbelievable food, Great value, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Location
VegEm
VegEm

Unique and delicious

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2012

I was so delighted when my brother took me to to this vegan sushi restaurant when I visited him in LA earlier this month. I could not believe how good the vegan rolls were! I wish there were more places like this. It was packed and service was friendly. I will definitely go back.

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff, good value
davesteph
davesteph

no oil , forks over knives or mcdougall possible

4 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2012

We are Oil Free vegans...following forks over knives/mcdougall diet plans is challenging. My first ? was what has no oil...the waiter didn't get that request often I could tell ...but with a little thought he helped us pick out a few selections and even had the chef make a no oil dressing for our sushi and salads...delish! The meal was ended with a delightful complimentary fruit dish w/ a candle. They took our picture- giving it back to us in a nice little card! Maybe a little pricey but nice to go somewhere that people tried to think outside the box and help you eat at their restaurant instead of expecting you to just make an exception that night! Not too many choices....good amount of oil, frying and veg margerine in deserts....yikes! healthy??? not even but their attitude and service and willingness to rise to occasion makes me give them a high rating.

Ginita
Ginita

4 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2012

I went here for my birthday with three carnivores and they loved it. There are baskets under your table to keep your purses and there is beautiful art on the walls. We shared the shojin gyoza appetizer and it was so delicious. I had the dynamite roll which was awesome and the seitan steak which was ok, and we all shared 4 different desserts and each one was delicious. Best vegan ice cream I have tasted. I just wish we had looked into parking before because parking in the structure cost $15, but I just found out they validate 3 hours of free parking which gives you plenty of time. The restaurant is located on the third floor of the Little Tokyo shopping center/park on the fourth floor of the parking structure and it takes you right in...and the mall is full of cute little shops. It was a little pricey for me but for a special occasion its reasonable. The soup and salad are each separate and not included in the $18 steak meal. I just cant see paying $10 for a soup, but my friend actually ordered a soup for her meal and it was a good size. I had wanted to come here for about a year since I found out about it, and finally being able to make it...I was not disappointed. Would definitely go here again, even if its just for the sushi.

Pros: Beautiful ambience, friendly staff, delicious
Cons: a little expensive
sullivusb
sullivusb

Great!

5 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2012

It's hard to add to what has already been said. This place is amazing! The inside of the restaurant is very nice and has a lovely atmosphere. The restaurant is located in a mall which I can only describe as very interesting...

I was here with two friends, one ordered a noodle bowl, I ordered two types of sushi, and our third friend (a meat eater) ordered the Seitan steak and was very happy with it.

If I'm ever in the area again I would definitely return :)

Pros: Great Food, Nice Atmosphere, Very nice staff
Cons: Odd location
rcyoder
rcyoder

• non-vegetarian

Now I need an excuse to go back... :-)

5 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2012

Excellent vegan selection - very tasty. We split the miso mushroom soup, a salad, a portobello mushroom steak and a vegan cheese cake for desert. Great service.

We were dressed up for a concert at Disney Hall - the waiter recognized that and made sure that we were in and out in good time to make it.

Pros: Exellent Food, Gluten Free selection, Great Service
hippublican
hippublican

Best sushi EVER

5 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2011

This restaurant is totally gorgeous with its mood lighting & beautiful artwork.
I had a hard time picking from the menu. Everything looks fantastic. We ended up going with pumpkin croquettes, the Dragon Roll, and garlic butter seitan steak. Everything was delicious and beautifully plated.
The service was friendly and helpful.
Be prepared to dig into your pockets for a meal here, but it's worth it. Especially if, like me, you've really been missing sushi since going vegan.

Pros: great atmosphere, amazing food, good sized menu
Cons: expensive
Roethke
Roethke

Delicious and friendly

5 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2011

The food is excellent and the staff always attentive and kind. I really love eating here. The price is a just a tad high, but the ambiance is elegant and the meals fantastic so it's well worth it. Plus, they just got a liquor license and are open till 12!

alyssa
alyssa

So Happy with Shojin

5 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2011

I finally made it down to Shojin last month. Gotta tell you, it was worth the wait! My husband and I went to celebrate our second anniversary and were treated like royalty. From the glass of tea when we arrived; to the basket for my purse; to the beautiful, well-stocked bathrooms; this place is hands-down the classiest vegan restaurant in Los Angeles. And the FOOD! We started with the Shojin Best Sampler Plate. My favorite was the Pumpkin Croquette and my hubby was in love with the Spicy Rock Shiitake Tempura. Being very hungry we next ordered the Kale Carnival roll, the Yuzu Portobello roll and the Asparagus Edamame roll. I thought the kale paste in the the Kale Carnival roll was ingenious and was complimented perfectly by the mango sauce that came with it. My husband was disappointed with how peppery the Yuzo Portobello roll was, but the menu did say it had a pepper sauce, so there you go. We both really enjoyed the fun textures and fresh flavors in the Asparagus Edamame roll. We had decided not to get dessert, but were treated to a complimentary bowl of fresh fruit with raspberry sauce, complete with a candle, cups of fragrant rose tea, a photo of the two of us AND a CD to take home to commemorate our special night. And our bill came out to less than $50! We were blown away! Oh, and I should mention that they validate parking. We were so overjoyed with our experience that we came back less than three weeks later and had another romantic and delicious dinner. Try the Pirates of the Crunchy roll!

Pros: fine dining, romantic, open late
veganfoodie85
veganfoodie85

Best Vegan Restaurant in LA

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2011

My boyfriend and I were in town for 6 days recently and we had at least 7 meals at Shojin. We have eaten at many vegan restaurants in the country and I have to say that Shojin is my absolute favorite. The dynamite roll, the pumpkin croquettes and the pumpkin chowder are among my favorites.
The staff is absolutely wonderful!
I can't wait to go to LA again and visit this restaurant.

Pros: Organic, Easy parking, Fair pricing
fondducoeur
fondducoeur

Creative Vegan Cuisine

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2011

I was thrilled to find this restaurant while visiting LA. I have never been to an all vegan Japanese place, and this one did not disappoint. The array of all vegan, creative sushi was impressive. I had the dragon roll which has avocado and shiitakes on the inside, with seitan and more avocado on the outside, with sweet soy sauce. My friend had a spicy tofu "tuna" roll with spicy vegan mayo. Both were fab, although I think I liked his better. I was a little disappointed with the yuzu ponzu seitan as the slices were very thin and chewy, but were not bad, just different than I expected.
In addition to having great looking appetizers and sushi, their entrees look great (and the prices are fair). I think next time I would go with a bento box, which comes with soup, salad, sushi, 2 entrees that you pick, and a rice dish. Yum! I will definitely go back next time I'm in LA!

Pros: Beautiful, creative, yummy sushi, Nice atmosphere, Extensive Menu
JesiDi
JesiDi

• raw

Love this place!

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2011

I absolutely love this place! When I became vegan, I was really missing Japanese food, which was one of my favorite. Shojin is in a Asian mall, which has other restaurants and markets. So, it's good to bring non-veggie friends to check out the other spots in the mall.

Pros: Delicious food, Fresh, Friendly staff
cooldara
cooldara

So yummy!

5 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2010

I took my daughter there yesterday for her birthday. It took us 2.5 hours to get there, but it was really well worth it. We had the 15.95 lunch go-zen, and it included a "chef's choice" entree. Well, to our happy surprise, that entree was the "wellington" from the Christmas meal! It was fantastic. The miso soup and salad were great, the okra cakes were delicious, and the tempura was amazing. The price is completely worth it, and I would definitely go back. The ice kreme trio is really good: two words...maple pecan. They even made a special plate for my daughter for her birthday, and the service is very good. I highly recommend this place!

Pros: Outstanding vegan sushi, worth the price, yummy desserts
Cons: only in L.A.
dinakourda
dinakourda

Duplicitous Dinner

2 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2010

My party of 13 had a reservation at 5 pm last night. The food was delivered as quickly as possible, however, there were about 20 diners out on the "patio" and I think they did the best they could with both 5 pm reservations. One drink and one sushi roll item were missing from our order. The food was good and so was the service until the end. I asked for the check and presented the manager with a 20% off coupon (that was provided as a thank you from a volunteer event by a local farm animal sanctuary). He said, no - our party was too big and it couldn't be used. I asked him what the maximum amount of diners we could have on a coupon and he said 4 (even though a maximum wasn't specified). I told him to split the bill 4 and 9 and he refused. He also refused to split the bill in any way (cash/credit card/completely). I insisted he do something and he told me I could use it next time. Since I'm from OC, I told him it wasn't practical and he told me he'd "fix" the check. When presented with the revised check he told me he took the drinks off and didn't want to help us determine what amount that was. He finally found the original check in the trash and the discount amounted to only 10% of the total bill. As a result, my dozen friends and I are not interested in returning to Shojin. I will NEVER go back to that type of poor customer service. Oh and their desserts are really bland and not very sweet at all.

Pros: food, service, validated parking
Cons: dishonest, bland desserts
sbonds93
sbonds93

Best vegan meal to date

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2010

I've only been vegan for about four years, but I can easily say that was the best meal I've had. The restaurant was very nice and the staff was extremely friendly. It's a little pricey, but you definitely get your money's worth. The banana chocolate cake was amazing. Can't wait to go back.

Pros: Delicious food, Good service, Nice atmosphere
Cons: A little pricey
apple310
apple310

Excellent - Highly recommend Shojin

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2010

I went to Shonin last night and ordered their Lemon Detox Mojito (yum! amazingly good), their pumpkin croquettes (delish), the Bento Box with Hamburg steak (fabulous!), vegan sushi (excellent), miso soup, salad, rice, and Yuzu Seitan with citrus soy sauce (only ok). They even gave us a special treat of some amazing vegan ice cream that was unlike anything I'd had before (and I've tried them all) and was delish! Price was moderate in price and was WELL worth it.

Pros: excellent food, beautifully prepared, many options
Cons: not enough staff
Colinski
Colinski

Gourmet Japanese Vegan

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2010

Very good food. That's all I can say. Haute cuisine, Japanese style. Everything I've had here has been delicious. Because it's gourmet food, expect to pay for it.

Pros: Delicious, High quality, Polite staff
Cons: Small portions, Pricey
Courtnichka
Courtnichka

I love Shijin!

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2010

Every time I've come here the food and service has been great. Last time I came here was after shopping in Downtown LA. I had the Soba Go-Zen: spicy sushi, veggie tempura, salad, veggies, pickles and soba noodles. It was great! My server was very attentive and friendly. He even threw in a free scoop of mint chocolate ice cream when I finshed my (huge!) meal.
Can't wait to return here!

Pros: delicious, lovely atmosphere, excellent service
Cons: kinda pricey but worth it, traditional hours- closed 2 hours midday
Dorothy
Dorothy

so excited to go back!!

5 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2009

I went to Shojin the other night for the first time. I currently live in NYC and there is no restaurant there that competes with Shojin!! The service was impeccable - the waitstaff was incredibly attentive and kind, and made sure we were okay during each course without being overbearing. They were even so polite and patient with a couple at the table net to us who were very rude and obnoxious. The food is fantastic as well - I partook in the special Christmas menu which was being offered that evening. Each course - and there were 7!!! - was so unique and so delicious, I finished all 7 courses without a problem!! The presentation was beautiful and it was obvious that the chefs take great care to plate each course! The combination of the delectable and unique food, the attentive and polite waitstaff, and the eyecatching presentation all make Shojin an incredible restaurant that I will frequent on all my future trips to LA!

Pros: food, service, presentation
Cons: none at ALL!
snappea
snappea

amazing dining experience!

5 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2009

I went to Shojin for the first time for their 5-course Christmas Dinner, and it was absolutely amazing... perhaps the best meal I've ever had! Each course was creative and incredibly flavorful--starting with appetizers (eryngii mushroom, slow roasted tomatoes, and mini-donut on curry) to the potato-leek soup and carmelized persimmon salad, the two delicious entrees (tempeh loaf with tomato sauce and grilled seitan steak with herb butter) all the way to the dessert of christmas cake with snowman shaped ice cream. Not only was the food spectacular but the service was amazing as well--the servers were so nice and friendly. The restaurant is located in a fun shopping mall with some interesting, nice shops. Shojin is perhaps my new favorite restaurant in Los Angeles and I highly recommend it!

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, lovely atmosphere
Mimi710
Mimi710

Yummy and fresh - this place is amazing!

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2009

My friend and I ate here in April. The food was so fresh and yummy. Our waitress was very friendly and the service was relatively quick. I highly recommend this place even if you have to go inside of a shopping mall to get to it.

Pros: yummy, more than just sushi
Cons: maybe a bit pricy
sabri
sabri

oustanding

5 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2009

I went to eat here about a week ago for lunch. The place is simple but very friendly, the waiters were attentive and smiling. The sushi was very good as the soba, the barbecue seitan was incredible and later the chef told us that they make it themselves. The detox drink I had was made with cranberry, ginger and cayenne pepper, at the beginning I didn't love it but during the lunch I have appreciated it a lot. The food that left me speechless was the sweet potato cheesecake. I am a dessert addict and I have never tested something more delicate and delicious. I plan on going there to eat very often. I highly recommend this place. Please sustain such great vegan restaurant!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: parking, location
nrgy
nrgy

AMAZING!!!

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2009

I love SHOJIN!!! I'm there all the time & there hasn't been a moment I haven't been wowed by their food. Not only is the food great but the staff there is very friendly and attentive. It is one of the best vegan restaurants in LA! PEACE! :)

ps: their caterpillar roll is addicting!!! I would have that every day if it were possible!

Pros: amazing food, healthy, extremely friendly staf
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Scrumptious

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2009

We've only been here once so far, but keep planning on going back. The food is so fresh and scrumptious. We shared the pumpkin croquettes and seitan appetizer. I had the katsu curry for dinner and it was lovely. The Green Tea Moss cake is definitely interesting and while I enjoyed it, I can see it being an acquired taste. We also went downstairs to the Japanese grocery store and found some tasty Japanese snacks that happen to be vegan.

Pros: fresh and healthy, easy parking, wide variety

Yummy Food and Wonderful Staff

5 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2009

We're from Phoenix, AZ but we visited Shojin on a trip to LA. The food was really tasty and the staff was very sweet. With us being lost and disorientated tourists, they went the extra mile and looked up a bookstore where we could pick up a map, even calling the store for directions and providing printed instructions. Their helpfulness and friendliness really made them stand out, and the food was really yummy. We'll be making sure to visit them every time we're able to make it to LA.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, ambient setting
vegangoddess
vegangoddess

Wow! Wow! Wow! Amazing Place

5 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2009

I seriously had a dream come true last night at Shojin's 1 year celebration. And for all of you who missed, I am truely sorry. What an amazing job they did. First off, an all you can eat sushi buffet? Are you serious and it's all organic and VEGAN! I felt like I died and went to sushi heaven. And it wasn't just sushi, it was like the most creative sushi I ever saw. everything looked like fish but was carrots and mushrooms and roasted bell peppers.......so artistic. They had a whole crew of amazing staff and hundreds of people supporting this amazing place. The desserts were an amazing unneccasary addition. I am so amazed how much work went into this event. Thank you a hundred times beautiful people at Shojin for having such amazing food and an even more amazing event to showcase it. I can't wait to go back. I wish we lived closer but driving over and hour is always worth it. They make you feel so loved like family and we truely appreciate it. One thing I can say is that I really appreciate that they are Organic. Most Vegan restaurants are not and Besides that there food is amazing, I would pay twice the price of most of the things I order there. I truely feel that I am eating for free. The food is made so beautifully and artistically with fresh fresh fresh flavors and the love just shines through. I really love there menu. Thanks again Shojin, I will be smiling for a few days from that beautiful night...see you soon.

Pros: great atmosphere, super staff, yummy organic food
Cons: wish i lived closer

One of my favorites!

5 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2009

I have eaten at Shojin 3 times now and it was excellent every time. The food is wonderful and so is the service and atmosphere. The prices are more than reasonable for the amount you get. I do not understand why people expect free rice. I would gladly pay for it if I needed it, which I don't. The majority of my diet is raw, but when going out to dinner I make exceptions when I find an organic Vegan gem like Shojin. They are celebrating their 1 year anniversary with a party this Sunday. I hope I can go. This restaurant deserves all the support the Vegan community can give. The one and only issue is that they are so far from the Westside, but I have no problem forgetting about it in this case. It is hard to find Vegan restaurants with great atmoshere like this while being organic as well. I hope they stick around for many years to come.

Pros: excellent food, organic Vegan, friendly staff
Vegyogini
Vegyogini

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2009

The cuisine at Shojin is Japanese deliciousness, made with a light touch, and served with excellent customer care. I highly recommend Shojin for a special occasion or just because you're hungry.

philjdomm
philjdomm

Finally, Vegan Japanese!

4 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2009

I cook and make my own Vegan dishes and LA seem to breed the Fusion and Like-mindedness.

I tend to sweep the Carb-Rice from my sushi but Shojin replace some of their Sushi rolls with Quinoa which is ten times healthier, less carb, more protein and minerals & vitamins!

eric
eric

Fine Dining at Budget Prices

5 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2009

Shojin is fantastic. I highly recommend it.

My family went for lunch today and was very pleased. The decor is very elegant chic yet comfortable, and the food varied, top quality, beautifully presented, and delicious.

I had the lunch bento box which comprised of assorted 4 small dishes in addition to brown rice and soup ($10, even cheaper if you can get there between 11.30am-12.00pm M-F for the special $8 rate). My wife got a combo deal and chose avocado & mushroom rolls plus soba noodle soup ($10).
Everything was delicious.

BUT, the dessert we had, the raspberry pumpkin cheesecake, was superb... gorgeous in everyway ($4,75).

Bravo to the chef, Kimiko, and the Shojin team for a wonderful dining experience. This is fine dining at budget prices.

Shojin is what the westside (Santa Monica / West LA) needs!

Pros: food, value, atmosphere
tempeh420
tempeh420

temple food at reasonable prices

4 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2008

Temple food at reasonable prices. In Japan, shojin ryoori (temple food) can go for 30-100 dollars a person. Try the bento lunch. Don't forget to ask for parking validation.

This place kind of copied Casa De Tree, which was in Torrance, but now in West side on Venice and Motor ave. Its an organic vegan Japanese buffet and bakery. Great food, bread, tea and sweats.

Pros: temple food, good value, parking validation
Cons: in a mall, on the 3rd floor
  • The Veggie Cook The Veggie Cook

Correction: Shojin is NOT at all like Casa de Tree. In fact, Shojin owners did not even know about Casa de Tree. I was one of the first customers at Shojin and had conversed with the owners, and they did not know about Casa de Tree. The Shojin chef, however, studied with Sanae and Eric who recently opened Seed in Venice (also macrobiotic). But Shojin is not like Seed either.

Casa de Tree is lovely. Seed is awesome. Shojin is excellent as well. Hurray for Los Angeles vegetarians with all these choices.

rikki
rikki

OUTSTANDING!!

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2008

This has quickly become our favorite restaurant. It feels very much like a 5-Star experience, yet it is reasonably priced and has a comfortable atmosphere. The food and the service are excellent. I really tasted the quality & freshness of the ingredients, and the staff are amazing and friendly. And it's conveniently located on Alameda, with free parking.

I'm still working my way through all the wonderful dishes, but for dessert I wholeheartedly recommend the cobbler with mint ice cream. They have a Wednesday sushi night that I am curious to try as well.

This place leaves me with a food buzz! I'd give it ten stars (cows) if I could!

Pros: Fantastic food, Outstanding Service, Free Parking
  • rikki rikki

PS - I noted after posting this review some reviewers found it pricey, but for an equivalent non-veg experience it would cost *much* more, and I found the prices much better than somewhere like Real Food Daily. For the care & quality that went into the food, I found it very reasonable.

jamber79
jamber79

great place

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2008

My non-veg boyfriend and I loved this place. It was decorated nicely and they played fun music. Our waiter was fantastic and made sure we had everything we needed. The fried seiten balls, the curry vegetables, and the grilled vegetables with tempeh were all excellent. Their bbq sauce is delicious (kind of tastes like teriyaki sauce). Will definitely go again. Only downside is everything seems a little overpriced, more meals should come with rice rather than being charged extra.

Pros: food, service, decor
Cons: prices
condekedar
condekedar

Unusual and tasty, but pricey

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2008

Shojin offers an upscale, unusual Japanese food experience. Portion sizes are a bit small, but the ambience and service are excellent. We arrived late and stayed past closing, but our server was continually warm and gracious. I took three colleagues to this place, two of whom are non-veg, but everyone loved the joint.

The grilled seitan roll appetizer was delicious and savory, as were the Nasu miso vegetables, which all of my colleagues loved. They also enjoyed their three-mushroom pasta, whereas I found my BBQ seitan with broccoli a bit too slight---it needed rice (which was an extra charge) and its portion size needed to be increased to justify its price ($11.95).

Desserts were a mixed bag. The green tea moss cake was unusual and while I liked it, no one else did. It might have been too strange a taste for some. The peach and apple cobbler with mint ice cream was a bit pedestrian for me, though tasty enough. The walnut chocolate cake was too flat for my tastes, without enough zing or sugar.

Still, Shojin is to be recommended. The location is a bit shady, and it's on the third floor of a shopping mall which seems to close earlier than the restaurant does, so make sure to get there by 9 p.m. at the latest. We got in because the security guard saw us and let us in.

Pros: Quality, Service, Unusual dishes
Cons: Location, Portion sizes, Expensive
  • The Veggie Cook The Veggie Cook

Shojin prices are FAIR / MODERATE for Los Angeles standards, actually. Not at all expensive. I live in LA.

happyradcow
happyradcow

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2008

I came here with my dad, and although he only ordered the soup and salad, he said he liked the restaraunt, when he normally will never say more than "not bad".
I ordered the barbeque saitan and it was amazing.
However, for dessert we ordered the walnut chocolate cake and the green tea cake and although presentation was beautiful, it was a dissapointment in taste.
Overall really liked the restaraunt, though.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great decor, Barbeque saitan
Cons: Service a little slow, dessert
jamalex
jamalex

Healthy yet luxurious fare, heart-warming staff

5 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2008

I came here with a group of friends while we were visiting LA, and got in to the restaurant at 10:30pm, not long before they closed, but the beaming staff welcomed us in warmly, and made us feel like long-lost relatives.

The place is gracefully decorated with an intriguing mix of cultural styles that fit together to create a very comfortable atmosphere. The staff was wonderfully Japanese -- very gracious, polite, friendly, and, well... cute! The chef came out and explained to us what the various dishes were, and we had some nice conversations with the waiter.

The food was great, and reminded me of the shou-jin ryouri (Japanese temple food) I had tried in Japan. The dishes weren't large, but magically filling, and left us (in combination with the energy in the place) feeling very satisfied and happy. They even brought us out a sampler tray of their desserts, which in themselves would be reason enough to drive long distances to eat here -- truly delightful!

Pros: Happy, Hearty, Healthy
spiceislandvegan
spiceislandvegan

Shojin met my expectations

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2008

After reading some reviews, I decided to take the long journey from Tustin to Downtown LA, Little Tokyo just to try this restaurant. My husband and I took the Metrolink to Union Sation and then took the shuttle to Little Tokyo. It was not hard to find this restaurant. The decor inside is really really nice and professional. I love it! Our lunch started with a bowl of cauliflower soup (soup of the day) that was so delicious. I had the Crispy Seitan Curry with brown rice and salad. The salad dressing was flavorful. The curry sauce is not fatty at all and contains all vegetables and not coconut milk. It was so delicious. The seitan was fried but not oily. Husband had the seitan with miso sauce and it was very good too. For desserts, I had the Green Tea Moss cake which was just ok for me. It was not that sweet. Husband had the Chocolate Walnut cake which was totally decadent and satisfying. He said that it was the best vegan chocolate dessert he had for a while. We recommend this Chocolate dessert. Next time, we'll try the new dessert items they have. Next time, we'll come back for dinner. The service was excellent. Our waiter was friendly and helpful. We were told that they will validate the parking. Cool! I just wish that this restaurant is not so far away from home. We would have visited it more often.

Pros: Healthy Vegan, Friendly Staff, Organic and delicious
Cons: Too far away from home
Guest

I'm in love with this place..

5 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2008

When I found out there was going to be a vegan restuarant in my favourite place in Los Angeles, I can't tell you how excited I was. There was a lot of jumping around. I only made it out there last week since we usually end up in the city on Mondays and it's closed.

Oh my god, so worth the traffic! The moment my mother ate the Fried Garden Seitan Ball "tsukune," this is what she said. My mother can be extremely picky when it comes to vegan food and hasn't liked seitan in the past, but that dish changed her mind.

I can't remember exactly what drinks we ordered, but my mother's was a jasmine tea and mine the ginger, cayenne pepper elixir. Both were extremely good, and the elixer basically cured me of my cough.

For main courses, she got the Tomato Soup Spaghetti and I got the Crispy Seitan Katsu Bowl. She really enjoyed hers and I liked mine, but I probably wouldn't get it again because I want to try so much on the menu. For dessert, it was the Green tea moss cake and peach & apple cobbler. Both went over amazingly well, and I have to say that their chocolate buttercream is probably the best I've ever tasted.

This is my first review because I loved this restaurant so, so much. The staff was amazing, the decor was warm, and the restaurant just made us happy. It was very empty until we left, so I urge you all to go and be impressed! This restaurant needs to exist forever and ever.

Pros: Amazing staff, Wonderful presentation, Food is to die for
Cons: Closed on mondays! But that's usual.
ventuacountyvegan
ventuacountyvegan

Fusion Cuisine at its Best

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2008

This is remarkable fusion cuisine. I went with a group, and we tasted just about everything on the menu. The fare was whole and fresh and made with great care to detail and flavor. Every dish that we tried was unique and amazing. The flavors were profound and subtle at the same time. It is hard to pick my favorites, but I do highly recommend the Traditional Vegetable Appetizer, the Grilled Mixed Mushroom Salad, the Barbequed Saitan & Assorted Vegetables and the Chocolate Granola Parfait. Oh, and the drinks are remarkable too...We had a ginger cayenne cooler and assorted hot teas. I want to also say that staff was so gracious, and we were humbled to be guests in their restaurant. I will be going back soon. Vegan or not, this is a restaurant that you must experience.

Pros: Beautiful Atmosphere, Wonderful Staff, Amazing Food
Cons: Located in a Mall
Hugo
Hugo

Wonderful!

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2008

Several days ago I discovered this restaurant on HappyCow. I usually read what people have to say about restaurants before deciding on wheather or not to patronize them. So after reading the five (all positive) reviews of Shojin by Happy Cow members, I decided to go to their website and find out more about the restaurant, since after all it being only three months old. After reading the menu on the Shojin website, I decided to take my wife and invite several of our friends to the restaurant on a Sunday night for dinner. First of all, the restaurant is very clean. The decor was very modern with a slight Asian flare. The staff was very genial and catered to our every need. The chef came out to greet us at our table. He was very courteous. Our food was "Wonderful!". We ordered A LOT of food! :) We ordered four diferent appetizers: The Traditional Vegetable Appetizer (Very good! Expecially the Okara!) The Organic Tomato Tartar (Excellent...you must try!) The Nasu Miso Dengaku (Which is sweet egg plant in sweet miso sauce...loved it!) The Fried Garden Seitan "tsukune" (Which was my favorite part of the night. Do your self a favor and get two orders of these. They are soooo goood!) As far as soups is concerned, we had: The Kabocha Pumpkin Chowder (Which was quite good) The Caulliflower soup (I really liked this one!) For our entrees we had: The Grilled Vegetable Curry (Which was good) The Crispy Seitan Cutlet Curry (Which was scrumptuous) The Grilled Vegetable Curry (Nice!) The Seitan Katsu Curry (Also nice!) and last but not least The Barbequed Seitan Plate (Which had this uncanny resemblance to real Barbequed poultry. Yes, the kind you used to eat at barbeques before you turned Vegan! But need not worry. It's 100% Vegan!) Yes, we even had space left for dessert! We had The WalnutsChocolate Cake, The Green Tea "Moss" Cake with Sweet Azuki Beans, The Raspberry Strawberry Sorbet, and a DELICIOUS Chocolate Granola Parfait which is a glass filled with tofu chocolate cream,vanilla ice cream and granola. The presentation of each course was flawless and gorgeous. Oh, I almost forgot about a couple of pasta dishes which were amazing. I really liked them. Especially the pasta dish with its pesto sauce in it. Do not be 'on the fence' about going to eat at Shojin. We drove all the way from downtown Ventura to dine at Shojin, and will DEFINITELY be going back. So treat yourself to some exceptional Organic Vegan fare at this great restaurant!

Pros: Great service, Very Clean, Excellent food presentation
  • Hugo Hugo

Hands down, THE BEST Vegan restaurant in Los Angeles!

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

AUTHENTIC!

5 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2008

I think the solid 5 start reviews speak for themselves. I'm actually upset with myself for not reviewing Shojin sooner! I went with the vegan meet up here in LA and we had a great time. The chef is extremely nice and came out and spoke to us about herself and the food. I can't wait to go back! The Green Tea Cake dessert is really cool! Share it because a little goes a long way!

Pros: more authentic japanese food, nice staff
Cons: location, well for me that is!
ladude26
ladude26

Love this Restaurant Japanese Vegan :-)

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

Flavorful Food, Nice friendly people, great atmosphere, free parking.
I had a Green Iced Tea Drink which was great, I had a starter and I had the Bento Box. Very Tasty Healthy food. I like that it is organic, no additives, chemicals, etc. The dessert was really, really good. I had the green tea Cake and had the Chocolate Walnut dessert with Coffee. Tip bet. 2-4 you get free coffee with dessert. They gave us a vegan organic cookie on the way out. I would recommend this place to vegans or non-vegans. Just Park in the parking structure and take the elevator up to the 4th floor and walk across the bridge into the Mall and go toward your left when you walk in. The only con is that I don't live closer.

Pros: Yum, Healthy, Friendly Staff
Cons: Wish I lived closer
button
button

Top notch Japanese cuisine

5 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2008

This excellent vegan Japanese restaurant is a very welcome addition to the east side/down town neighborhood. We thoroughly enjoyed all the healthy, finely prepared dishes. The staff was super friendly and helpful and atmosphere was nice (though I could do with different music - like Japanese instead of Brazilian.)

Pros: Healthy, Japanese Vegan Cuisine!, Great Staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Shojin: