Nice atmosphere, spacious and quiet, at 新通 3−3−1. Taiwanese influenced vegetarian menu. Mostly vegan, except dairy used in wheat bread, chai and some desserts. Try the seitan burger or soy pork cutlet with rice and salad. Closed first and third Wednesday of month. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Japanese, Taiwanese

Mon 11:00am-6:30pm, Wed-Sun 11:00am-6:30pm

First Review by Vegeiko
necius
necius

Convenient, great vegan food in Wakayama

Posted on 03 / 27 / 2015

On a trip to Wakayama, my girlfriend and I decided to check this place out for lunch after having a look at the castle. It was quite conveniently located about half way between the JR station and the Castle (about a 10 minute walk from either). And a short walk from the nearest bus stop (Mikimachishintori).

The front of the building was quite stylish and impressive, and as we entered, we found the same to be true of the inside. The main instrument of decoration was the humble gourd. While an interesting choice, it was pulled off very well.

We sat down, and began perusing the menu that was in the table. The menu was all in Japanese, but mostly had pictures to help out. The server who took our order, while far from fluent, had enough English for us to confirm that all of the mains (but not all of the desserts) were vegan. In the end we both ending up having "Today's Lunch set", one with a "mince" cutlet, the other with a "ham" cutlet. Shortly afterwards we both received a small cup with some kind of spiced brown sugar beverage, which was a nice touch.

When the meals came, they were very artfully presented with four small portions of salads, rice, the cutlets, and soup. All the food was delicious, though the "ham" cutlet was definitely superior to the "mince".

Afterwards we had drinks (included in the set). I had a caffeine free coffee, which I didn't think was fantastic, but then I'm hardly a coffee person.

Overall, the experience was excellent. The location is very convenient, the food was great, it was quite cheap, and the environment was superb. If you're in Wakayama city for lunch, this is definitely the place to go.

Pros: Great Location, Great food, Beautiful Environment
Cons: Not all desserts are vegan
Ureshii Ushi
Ureshii Ushi

Vegetarian, not shojin or vegan.

Posted on 03 / 03 / 2015

I visit there frequently. The food, atmosphere, and service are great. The prices are reasonable.

However, they are neither shojin (Japanese Buddhist vegetarian cuisine) nor vegan. Their whole wheat bread contains butter and chai comes with cream if you do not speak up.

The owners are Japanese, but belong to a Taiwanese religion, so the menu does have both Japanese and Taiwanese offerings, as well as mostly vegan modern takes of Western food. They do a lot of fake meat stuff. The soy ham and the seitan karaage (Chinese friend chicken) were good, while the fake baked fish and fake deep friend shrimp, and nabemono were excellent. I also l had a deep friend corn burger that was OK, while a friend of mine liked her seitan burger a lot.

Unfortunately, to appeal to the modern Japanese palette, there is a heavy emphasis on deep fried food. Also, the Chinese, Japanese, and Western vegetable stocks they sell are very high in sodium.

They opened a new restaurant in a different location last month that is bigger than the 10-year original and that stays open until 21:00, last order at 20:30. It has ashiyu (foot baths) in the bake and you can eat while soaking your feet.
Updated from previous review on Monday March 02, 2015

Pros: Atmosphere, Taste, Service
Cons: Whole wheat bread made with butter, Chai comes with cream, Overemphasis on deep fried food
KMR607
KMR607

hard without japanese

Posted on 09 / 28 / 2014

There is no English menu and the staff don't speak much English. We guessed using the photos and I followed the happy cow recommendation of the fried cutlet with rice and salad, which was good though the cutlet could have used some sauce or at least salt (for my western taste, I guess). Most of The dessert items are not vegan, the ice cream sundaes are dairy but they had some vegan options available so be sure to specify.

Swish
Swish

Visited several times

Posted on 05 / 05 / 2014

Beautiful, well prepared vegan and vegetarian food. Offers both lighter snacks, sandwiches and complete dishes. Friendly staff. Moderate prices. Higly recommended if you visit Wakayama.

Vegeiko
Vegeiko

Great vegetarian treat in Wakayama

Posted on 08 / 13 / 2013

We had soy pork cutlet, together with soy sauce and Japanese raddish dippings, salads, brown rice and some taiwanese soy ham. Absolutely amazing cuisine!
I even go to this place from my city, Osaka, it takes me about an hour by highway but this place is worth for it. You may need a car or hire a taxi to get this place, Wakayama city has not much public transportation system....

Dear Owner and Manager of Shojin Cafe Fuoi: