Shivalli

South Indian vegetarian cuisine. Lunch buffet features papadums, starters with chutneys, several main dishes, and a dessert. Food is not too oily or too spicy. Decor is stylishly wood panel around the walls and floor with modern wooden tables, recessed downlights and a sparkling silver chandelier. Park at the Newark Street car park just around the corner. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Take-out, Catering
21 Welford Road (/near city centre)
Leicester, England LE2 7AD
0116-2550137

Open Mon-Fri 10am-3pm, 6-11pm, Sat 12-11pm, Sun 12-10pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by swarna
jon active
jon active

Friendly and helpful and tasty!

4 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2014

It's a ages since I spent time in Leicester and so my knowledge of the local Indian restaurants has waned. But I remember there being always lots of vegetarian options which could be vegan as long as you could persuade the waiter you really didn't want any butter ghee tainted food! Shivalli has a sticker on the front door proudly declaring "we cater for Vegans" it was easy from then on in. Even with my current crazy macrobiotic variation on veganism the helpful Chef/manager (?) made me a special dish and adapted (made mild) others. The fresh juice was suspiciously sweet but the food was great. Two of us ate well without alcohol and the bill came to £37 (only the papadoms seemed a tad expensive). My Dad eats anything and loves to frequent this place, I'll be happy to go again.

Pros: Good food, all vegetarian., Helpful and willing to please vegans , My Dad paid the bill but it wasn't much.
Cons: Popadoms overpriced., Temperature a bit cold inside!
Goodvegifood
Goodvegifood

Very good udipi place

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2012

Brilliant food, caring service, very good value for money. Must visit this place.

Pros: brilliant food, brilliant food, brilliant food
Cons: no parking
GreenT
GreenT

Friendly, family run business with delicious food

5 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2012

I can't recommend this place enough, especially the weekend buffet. The staff are always friendly and totally understand the concept of veganism! If there aren't many vegan starters on the buffet or the dessert isn't vegan they will always make one specially for you and so it works out at amazing value. The food is really unusual and beautifully cooked. I just wish everywhere could be like this. They have a really good reputation in leicester, even amongst non-vegetarians. The only slight downside is that the food can be very hot and they don't seem able to tone the heat down on request. We visited there with my parents-in-law who aren't used to spicy food and I think they found some dishes a little too hot. It's not a problem for me though as I love spicy food!

Pros: Excellent service, Quality food, Good value
Cons: Spicy food
Nostoc
Nostoc

Best in Leicester

5 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2011

Leicester has quite a few vegetarian curry houses to choose from, mostly on the north-east side of town (Belgrave Rd area). This one is in the west, slap bang on the ring road, but don't let that put you off. It's great. Huge south Indian menu with a ton of vegan options, quite a few dishes I hadn't come across before. Excellent service at this family-run restaurant. Definitely going back next time I'm in Leicester.

Pros: All good
dropscone
dropscone

Lovely food, excellent value

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2011

I work opposite Shivalli and go to their lunchtime buffet often during the week. The buffet is fantastic value with starter, main and dessert, all you want to eat for £4.95! The choices generally include a good amount of vegan options. I ask the waiters to let me know what's vegan and if they think there's not enough choice they always say "I'll get you something else". I also particularly like that they include a salad in the buffet so I can kid myself I'm eating healthily before I start on the fried lentil doughnuts or other lovely fried starters!

They also do the buffet on Sundays although it is slightly more expensive, and although this always includes a masala dosa brought to the table, does not generally have the mixed salad option.

If I'm feeling hungry or greedy in the evening, the thali options are always massive and delicious! They start with poppadoms and chutney, then there's a starter (probably some lentil dougnuts and/or samosas and/or bhel poori and/or battered aubergine slices... there are other choices I'm missing out), followed by a main which is about 6 small pots of different curries, soup, and perhaps salad, plus well flavoured rice, some kind of bread option, possibly a masala dosa as well. If you can fit pudding in after that I take my hat off to you!

For those less greedy than myself, I particularly recommend the onion rava dosa, and the aubergine curry, if you're just after a small meal.

Pros: great value, good service, tasty food
Cons: occasionally cold near door

swarna
swarna

Good service,tasty food,and better value

5 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2010

I been to shivalli with my friends, when i enter inside feel good atmosphere and staff welcoming in good smile and take us near the table, giving good service and explaining about the variety of dishes choice to make us to decide, food came with in few minutes with a freshness of flavour and tasty delicious food at high standard,especially set menu are offering all sort of shivalli food with starter,main course and dessert,the price is reasonable and value for money. I highly recommend to everyone.

Pros: healthy cuisine, attractive food, kindly staff
Cons: prefer if they open in birmingham

Dear Owner and Manager of Shivalli: