Shimokitazawa Chabuzen

Serves meat, veg options available. Menu clearly labels vegan dishes and the owner has a good idea what vegan means. Open Tue-Sun until 3:30pm. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, International, Non-veg

HattyAnne
HattyAnne

Amazing Ramen

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2015

This place was a must do if visiting Japan. Its a very tiny place with vegan signage out front. We sat at the bar and witnessed the owner/chef as he made our meal in the very small kitchen area. The ramen was the best I have ever had and you can tell the chef put much effort in developing the flavor and cooking it just right. We were surprised by the free dessert of bananas and raisins in a sweet sauce. Very nice touch. One of my favorite experiences while on my vacation!

MartheseNohra
MartheseNohra

lovely vegan food - best Ramen

Posted on 06 / 27 / 2015

tiny restaurant, 10 mins from the station. the owner was lovely! my carnivorous husband is a big ramen fan and said his vegan ramen was better than the meaty ramens he normally eats! my curry was also delicious.

paulkates
paulkates

Vegan options!

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2015

Stumbled upon this place on an inner-city hike. It was like an oasis! Fresh, delicious ramen and other vegan options, including Indian curry dishes. Owner seems really nice (speaks a little English). So glad I found it!

Pros: Delicious , Reasonable, A bit off the beaten path
Cons: A bit off the beaten path, Only seats about 11

gubernatrix
gubernatrix

Vegan ramen!

Posted on 04 / 08 / 2015

This place wasn't easy to find (and was tucked away in a mostly residential area), but I got there in one piece with the help of GPS. Immediately upon coming in, we saw the English menu options and the owner asked if we were vegan. We promptly ordered the vegan ramen and a vegan "soup curry." My ramen was great, though not the super fatty traditional ramen I envisioned, and was loaded with vegetables. My brother's curry was mostly the same thing as my ramen soup but served with rice, so I recommend the ramen.

We were the only ones in the (very small) restaurant, and the owner kindly gave us small servings of a pumpkin pudding at the end of our meal. Overall a very nice dining experience!

Pros: English menu, clear understanding of what vegan me
Cons: Small, hard to find.
Veganstrength
Veganstrength

doesn't appear to be open

Posted on 07 / 05 / 2013

Tried this place twice during posted hours because we were around the area, never open. Not sure if it has been on vacation or what, no English posted in door so can't read it

• MidnightSun112 MidnightSun112

I visited this place also during posted hours and it was closed. The Japanese signs on the door said nothing about why they were closed. Not sure what's going on with this place.

Oine
Oine

If you don't mind that they also serve meat ...

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2013

Went here with a friend yesterday evening, arriving just as the place was about to open (17:30). It's a 10 walk from Shimokitazawa station, though not easy to find if you don't know where you're going. Still, it's worth it if you can find the place.
Seating is either at the counter facing into the kitchen or at one of three small, low tables. There's probably space for up to 8 or 9 people, though no other customers came in while we were there.
As soon as we entered the owner asked if we were vegan or vegetarian. The menu is all in Japanese but the vegan/vegetarian options are easy to identify (everything with a green background.) There were two vegan/vegetarian main meals, ramen and soup curry (both ¥650).
I had the vegan soup curry, my friend had the non-vegan soup curry (from the smell I'd guess it had some kind of seafood in it). Both came with brown rice and both of us were very happy with our food.
Another thing is that you need to choose how spicy you want your meal from a scale of 1-7. The owner recommended 4, which was surprisingly spicy (for Japan) but pleasantly so. There are also extras for Y100-200 such as natto and okura, mozuku, soy chāshū (roast pork), soy cutlet and also real meat dishes.
Drinks: they have ebisu beer, wine, coffee and soy drinks.
If I have the chance I'd definitely like to go again.

Pros: Tasty, Cheap, Different
Cons: Serves meat, Out the way

Dear Owner and Manager of Shimokitazawa Chabuzen: