Shimokitazawa Chabuzen

Serves meat, veg options available. Menu clearly labels vegan dishes and the owner has a good idea what vegan means. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, International, Non-veg
Daida 6cho-me,16-20, Setagaya-ku
Tokyo, Japan
080-6603-8587

Open Tue-Sun until 3:30pm, 5:30-11pm, closed Mon.

First Review by Oine
Veganstrength
Veganstrength

doesn't appear to be open

1 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2013

Tried this place twice during posted hours because we were around the area, never open. Not sure if it has been on vacation or what, no English posted in door so can't read it

• MidnightSun112 MidnightSun112

I visited this place also during posted hours and it was closed. The Japanese signs on the door said nothing about why they were closed. Not sure what's going on with this place.

Oine
Oine

If you don't mind that they also serve meat ...

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2013

Went here with a friend yesterday evening, arriving just as the place was about to open (17:30). It's a 10 walk from Shimokitazawa station, though not easy to find if you don't know where you're going. Still, it's worth it if you can find the place.
Seating is either at the counter facing into the kitchen or at one of three small, low tables. There's probably space for up to 8 or 9 people, though no other customers came in while we were there.
As soon as we entered the owner asked if we were vegan or vegetarian. The menu is all in Japanese but the vegan/vegetarian options are easy to identify (everything with a green background.) There were two vegan/vegetarian main meals, ramen and soup curry (both ¥650).
I had the vegan soup curry, my friend had the non-vegan soup curry (from the smell I'd guess it had some kind of seafood in it). Both came with brown rice and both of us were very happy with our food.
Another thing is that you need to choose how spicy you want your meal from a scale of 1-7. The owner recommended 4, which was surprisingly spicy (for Japan) but pleasantly so. There are also extras for Y100-200 such as natto and okura, mozuku, soy chāshū (roast pork), soy cutlet and also real meat dishes.
Drinks: they have ebisu beer, wine, coffee and soy drinks.
If I have the chance I'd definitely like to go again.

Pros: Tasty, Cheap, Different
Cons: Serves meat, Out the way

Dear Owner and Manager of Shimokitazawa Chabuzen: