Madrid vegetarian Chinese restaurant. Features all-you-can-eat buffet. Tempura is not cooked with egg now, as reported to HappyCow Jan 2012. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Buffet
Concepción Arenal, 3
Madrid, Spain 28004

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by brugiond
AlbaHM
AlbaHM

Amazing chineese food!

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2015

It's difficult to believe that there are no meat, because all recipes look like the real ones: chicken with lemon,oister sauce beef....are amazing, taste like the originals but are vegan. The best option if you love chineese food.

Sarah Baker
Sarah Baker

One of my favourites

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2015

I love this place. First off: it is not haute cuisine, but still really nice. And, it gives you more than worth your money, the buffet always slightly varies (although thank god they seem to always stock up on vegan brownies lately) and the staff / owners are just about the nicest people I have met.

Another big advantage is that there is always place...not because it doesn't get crowded, but because they have two floors; if one fills up they open the other. AND, as it is a buffet, it means they don't get stressed or make you wait for your food.

The only disadvantage is that we end up here way to often than is good for my budget (in spite of the great price) - simply because it is so convenient and tasty.

Pros: Lots of Choice, Lovely People, Lots of place for everyone
barbaramaidel
barbaramaidel

Average

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2015

I was excited because of the all-you-can-eat buffet idea, since in Brazil it's a very common kind of restaurant and I hardly find such a thing in Europe. But I got disappointed about all that oily food that slips in the plate. They could have more salads and don't put oil in everything. Also, water shouldn't be charged. It's not awful, but Madrid has other vegan places to go that are way better than Shi-Shang.

And why do they not give up jelly and yogurt and become a vegan restaurant? It's an easy step and nobody will stop going there because they don't sell jelly or yogurt anymore.

Pros: Cheap
Cons: Oily, Few options of salad, Jelly and yogurt aren't vegan

crystalcarol
crystalcarol

good chinese buffet

Posted on 10 / 29 / 2014

We liked this place a lot. It was clean and well laid out. The food was tasty if not spectacular. The people who serve you are very friendly and helpful.
Sometime you just feel like you want to eat a lot. You can do that here even staying away from the fried foods. There is plenty for vegans to eat.

Pros: well located, good service, reasonable prices
Cons: lots of fried stuff, sometimes not hot
TomiTuominen
TomiTuominen

Average Chinese Buffet

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2014

Wen't here last Monday evening with my brother. He would not have known that there was no meat in the different dishes, had I not told him.
The buffet had all your typical dishes that a Chinese restaurant usually offers. I enjoyed the ones that I tasted, but all of them were very high-fat. They didn't even have any plain rice, only fried rice which was oily.
A nice place, friendly staff and the price-quality ratio was excellent.

Pros: Variety, Price, Staff
Cons: Taste, Oily
florenciavegana0909
florenciavegana0909

MUY BUENO, EXCELENTE ATENCIÓN

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2014

Parece un típico chino pero adentro es todo vegano (excepto algunos postres) Ademas venden cosas veganas y tienen un calendario colgado del santuario wings of heart.
Si llegas justo cuando estan cerrando, te atienden igual, es gente que sí tiene ganas de trabajar. Así da gusto.

Pros: Variedad, Excelente atención
Cons: No hay papas fritas, Tienen gelatina
Giada__
Giada__

Great idea!

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2014

It seems a classical chinese restaurant, but once inside you'll discover that everything is vegan (except for a couple of desserts, clearly labeled as vegetarian).
It offers an all-you-can-eat buffet at lunch, drink included (even beer!) for only 10 €; alternatively you can choose from some very cheap menus.
Everything is tasty and the "fake meat" really looked and tasted as real meat, so impressing that as a long term vegetarian I couldn't finish my plate!
Strongly recommended, I'll be back on my next trip to Madrid!

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Vegan
marcbr
marcbr

Amazing!

Posted on 08 / 26 / 2013

We went 4 people there (2 vegan and 2 omnivores) and we were all amazed by the food. They offer vegan "chicken", "pork", "beef" and "shrimps", all cooked in asian style.

We paid 10€ each for an "all you can eat" buffet+2 bottles of water.

The texture and taste achieved are very good and close to the original dishes.

Not so many vegan options for dessert though.

Pros: Taste, Alternatives, Price
Cons: Desserts
AchimGuldner
AchimGuldner

Good food, good prices.

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

Offers buffet with good variety of chinese foods, like soy-based "duck" and others, each with different sauce. The largest part of the buffet is vegan (only some deserts are not). Prices are very good (wie paid 26€ for 2 persons - including drinks). One cow went missing, because almost everything was rather greasy and rich and was like a lump in my stomache... Maybe it was only too hot outside that day.

Pros: Very good value, Large selection, Good if you want to try several meat substitutes
Cons: Some dishes rather greasy
flormadel
flormadel

Piece of vegan heaven!

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2013

A must for Madrid! It was amazing to have a buffet with so many options to choose from for such a good price (10 euro during the weekend). Some items were fresher than others, but overall great taste. Lots of mock meat, but also great seaweed, noodle and tofu dishes, and Sriracha sauce! The service was great, though drinks were expensive and they don't offer tap water.

The only big downside would be the small amount of vegan desserts. After pigging out on delicious vegan food, it was a bit sad to see everyone else have about 12 dessert options and to have only 3 simple vegan ones to choose from. So fill up on the savory stuff!

Pros: great price, good selection, nice staff
Cons: not many vegan desserts, expensive drinks, no tap water
earthville
earthville

Great value, good flavor

Posted on 05 / 24 / 2013

Shi-Shang is certainly one of the best places to eat on a budget in Madrid.

Their buffet offers dozens of options (all of which are vegan except some of the desserts, they say), including several fauxtein options and some fresh, uncooked items as well, which are welcome.

The flavors and textures are fairly typical for this type of Chinese cuisine — not gastronomically astonishing, but plenty tasty and well worth the buffet price.

Pros: one of the best values in Madrid, buffet is all vegan except some desserts
AshleyLorden
AshleyLorden

Free wifi, inexpensive food

Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

I'd recommend Shi-Shang, from where I'm writing this review now using the free wifi network. The two times we've been in May 2013 it hasn't been crowded at all, but they still provide a great variety of buffet items. All the regular food is vegan, I'm told, but there are only a few vegan dessert choices, with more for vegetarians. The quality, quantity and choice are all good. Buffet 8.50 lunch (12:30-4:30), 9.00 dinner (7:30-11:30) although they didn't actually start serving until 8:00, not 7:30, when we went, so better to go exactly on mealtimes if possible. The drinks are actually also affordable, unlike many places where those are exorbitantly priced. They claim to be low in oils, sugar and salt, but being Chinese-influenced I found the food to be at a "normal" level of healthiness for my standards -- much better than most Chinese places, but not super healthy either.

Overall, a pleasant place with good buffet, fair prices and efforts I identify with. They also offer a la carte meals starting at 6.50, including a drink and dessert.

Pros: Good quality food, Affordable, Wifi
Cons: Hours may vary slightly, Could be healthier
christopher
christopher

Incredible Wonderful Fantastic

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2013

spent a week without good quality vegan cuisine. I was bloody hungry and happened upon this place. It was packed with Spanish customers. The choices were incredible varied and I talked with the chef because some items I could not believe were vegan. They had a beautiful vegan sushi platter that was write quite creative and delicious.

Pros: Location, Variety, Friendly
Kris G
Kris G

Great

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

I visited it while ago and it is one of my best ever restaurants in Europe. Tasty, fresh and huge choice. Next time I went to Madrid I headed straight to Shi Shang.

fpero
fpero

such an interesting experience

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

Shi-Shang is a very nice place to eat vegetarian in Madrid. What struck me the most is the funny I had ordering all the different courses named as in the menu of an ordinary Chinese Restaurant (of course they're not made of meat/fish...fully vegetarian!). We "ordered" the buffet. Indeed, (and this is a proof for the reliability and commitment of the owner) , as the owner explained us, when there are few people they prefer to cook the food for you, rather than displaying it buffet-style and leaving it getting colder or loosing taste. The portions are obviously smaller that if ordered à la carte (which is an option, anyway) but you can order as many as you want and finishing everything they bring you is quite a challenge. The curry *chicken* (seitan) and the dumplings are a must!

Fer
Fer

Special asian place

Posted on 01 / 25 / 2013

The only vegetarian and vegan asian restaurant in Madrid. Typical asian flavour but without cruelty. Spacious place with two floors and large number of tables. Buffet free service "all you can eat" for only 10 € ". Varied and abundant meal. Needs to mark much better the vegan food. Placed in the center of Madrid in "Callao". Paying parking "Tudescos" at 1 minute.

Pros: Cheap, Varied food, Special asian taste
OwenTang
OwenTang

a chinese vegetarian buffet? Great!

Posted on 11 / 07 / 2012

I'm attending much of the places here in Madrid and this one you cannot miss either. Coming from California, I take Chinese food for granted but coming to Madrid and seeing this makes me happy. The food is good and has a good amount to choose from and there is also some fried items. For the price it's worth it to go. The workers also are friendly.

Pros: good value for a buffet in Spain., location is close to central Madrid , friendly staff
Cons: a little cramped with a lot of people
dyna85
dyna85

Worth visiting

Posted on 05 / 27 / 2012

Shi-Shang is located near Gran Vía, which makes the place easily accessible. We arrived there around 8pm and it was empty. The interiors were nice and soothing and the server explained everything we needed to know. Apart from the buffet they offer daily menus. We wanted to try the one with lemon chicken, but unfortunately there was none left. We got a pork substitute and rice with vegetables instead and I can't complain. As an appetizer we got delicious spring rolls and as a dessert I ordered flan and my partner ice cream, both nice. The whole menu was 6.50 Euros and it arrived on our table very fast. In my opinion this is the kind of place that is able to accommodate various tastes and is definitely worth checking out.

Pros: cheap, quick, helpful server
Cons: no lemon chicken (part of daily menu)
Ataraxia
Ataraxia

yummmmmmm!

Posted on 01 / 22 / 2012

La verdad es que cuando fui por primera vez no imaginé encontrarme con toda esa variedad de deliciosa comida.
He estado unas tres veces en este restaurante y la verdad es que lo recomiendo totalmente. Es un buffet libre oriental y tienen todo tipo de platos de este tipo Y todo vegano, increible!. Rollitos de primavera, maki, sushi, "ternera" con almendras, tallarines,"pollo" al limón (mi favorito). Además tienen helados veganos de postre!.
Recomendado 100%

Pros: calidad-precio, situación, variedad
harrysandy
harrysandy

Great find. Sorry I didn't come sooner

Posted on 11 / 18 / 2011

Madrid is a tough place to find vegan protein. I'm not sure why I waited until my last night to try this place, because I should have come sooner so I could come back again. They have a lovely buffet. There were at least 5 kinds of vegan protein. I love the seitan style protein. There were different styles, types and flavors. There was a great mushroom cap stuffed with something delicious. The sushi is probably something you can skip, but the Chinese-style proteins are very good. I had to force myself not to overeat. The waiter said everything on the dinner buffet was vegan. But the dessert buffet had some milk products in a few things. There were tiramisu type cakes that contained milk. But there were two great vegan desserts that I tried, a tiny little pastry stuffed with some sweet sesame seeds and sesame paste. Very yummy. And a vegan flan. I think there was also a similar-looking flan with milk in it, so be sure to ask which has milk, which doesn't. They also have beer and wine. Great place!

Pros: Lots of vegan protein, Tasty, Very affordable
Cons: Sushi not the most inspired, A few desserts do contain cow's milk
mik
mik

Results may vary

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2011

I ate there twice over the course of a couple of weeks. On my first occasion I was positively surprised, since the buffet is vast (and all vegan, they maintain) and certainly cheap. The second time around though, we had a few surprises: not only did they not open on time, but I was looking forward to the buffet, which was served after 13:00. This meant we had to settle for a menú del día, which was ok. This could easily be clarified at the door, so hopefully they will indeed indicate this in their opening hours, to avoid disappointments.

Flick27
Flick27

Great, cheap food!

Posted on 10 / 03 / 2010

Came here twice on our trip to Madrid. Was right round the corner from our hostal so didn't have to walk far when we were so full! Is just over the road from Callao square. Theres a big board attached to a lampost on the Gran Via advertising it.
There was all you can eat for 8.5 euros, or you could get a set meal for 6.5 euros. Still loads of food though.
Is very similar to the all you can eat Thais in London. Loads of battered food too which I love!
For vegetarians, also had ice cream cake and yoghurts for afters. Fruit for the vegans.
Bit greasy - but what to expect. This isn't gourmet food.
To eat cheap in Madrid, head here for lunch, then Falafal for dinner. More money to spend on beer and cocktails!

Pros: All you can eat!, Cheap, Friendly
Cons: Greasy
Ozaru
Ozaru

Wonderful variety at great value

Posted on 05 / 19 / 2010

A wonderful variety of around 25 main dishes (many salads too) and 10 desserts, for an unbeliavably cheap price. Most were vegan, and this was clearly shown for the main dishes, although one was not marked so when I took some the 'waitress' immediately advised me that it contained dairy items, fetching me some plain rice instead. Three of the desserts were vegan too. All tasted nice, with some quite unusual (mainly Chinese) flavours and textures (I love seaweed but they had various types I'd never tried before). Similar to the Tai Buffet in London, but not as spicy. Cordon bleue it ain't (if you want that, try Yerbabuena instead) but it easily fills you up with nutritious, tasty food.

The service was not intrusive but friendly (I got to practise my pidgin Mandarin; the young lady said she was hoping to learn English to be able to converse better with the many tourists who visit).

Pros: Variety, Cheap, Vegan-friendly
Cons: Easy to overeat, Some non-vegan options not marked
Fancy
Fancy

Shi-Shang

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2010

Very tasty food, great service

+++VeGaNiSaToR+++
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++

server uncomfortable

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2009

the server was very uncomfortable when we wanted to know what was vegan because there are no labels. According him, the 4 menus are vegan, I don't know in which dishes are hidden animal products. The dishes are good but the lemon chicken a little sickening. The main advantage is price.

brugiond
brugiond

Tucked away but not that hard to find - a jem

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2009

My wife and I, while vacationing in Madrid, made it a point to visit as many veg. restaurants as possible. This was one of the best. It's unbelievably cheap (a big meal, including drink, runs between 4-7 Euros), substantial, and tasty. I'd recommend the mock duck (tastes like Tofurky) and the veggie egg rolls - and the lemon chik'n. The service was great (very friendly and helpful - one of the waitresses even went across the street to a supermarket to see if she could find some spicy mustard for me) and it wasn't that hard to find. (Take the Metro to Callao, exit at the Callao Square, cross over Gran Via and then make a right...it's the first little street you'll come to. It's on the left, about half a block down.)
Highly recommended!

Pros: Cheap, Delicious, Helpful staff
Cons: Food was a little cold.

Dear Owner and Manager of Shi-Shang: