Sheba Ethiopian Restaurant

Serves meat, veg options available. Ethiopian cuisine typically includes a range of vegetable and legume dishes that are vegan suitable. Here the kitchen also offers tofu and labels what's vegan. Holds vegan cooking classes. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ethiopian, African, Non-veg
5071 Nicholson Ln (Rockville Pike)
Rockville, Maryland 20852

cookiem
+2041

Acceptable fare

Posted on 04 / 12 / 2014

Rockville is by no means a center for Ethiopian food, so it is welcome to have this restaurant in the area. However, food is food, and one must be honest.

The food is the same as other Ethiopian restaurants, nothing special, except that unlike many of them, they do note there is a vegan sampler. They also have vegan lentil sambusas, a beet salad (vegan) and a vegan broccoli appetizer. The sambusas had a bitter dark berbere sauce for dip. They'd be fine without the berbere dipping sauce, but the sauce moistened it a bit. The broccoli was rather salty and just tasted like steamed broccoli with some salt, oil and red pepper flakes - not worth the price.

With that said, it was comforting that they had a vegan sampler. The choices were standard fare for Ethiopian, with one exception: eggplant (bedergan)! That was a fun addition, but the flavor is just like other Ethipian dishes flavored with berbere and onions. The cabbage had a weaker flavor than I prefer, but I am glad it wasn't greasy. The red lentils/ key mesir was medicore - not spicy enough and a bit too salty. The gomen was fresh in flavor and execution, and it was not as salty as the others. The ater kik alicha was the best in terms of salting, and it had a nice flavor without being too firm/ al dente that can often happen. There was no salad offered, so they must have forgotten.

The injera was suitable in thickness and ability to stay together to serve the food. However, I do prefer a richer flavor (more fermented). Still, it was good.

I appreciate the commitment to vegan options, but, I would likely kept going back to DC/ VA for vegan options unless I am stuck in Rockville and in need of injera/ Ethiopian food!

Pros: Vegan sampler noted on menu, Not too greasy
Cons: Too salty
zanotab
zanotab

Good vegan option in Rockville

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2013

It's nice to have an Ethiopian option outside of the city! They have a whole "Vegetarian/Vegan" section (though they don't specify which specific entrees are vegan). I got the Vegan Sampler which had about small portions of about 6 different dishes -- it was really good. Reasonably priced and nice friendly service.

Pros: vegan options, friendly staff
kenvegan
kenvegan

Wonderful Ethiopian Food

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2013

I just enjoyed a wonderful vegan Ethiopian plate at Rockville, Maryland's first and only Ethiopian restaurant: Sheba Ethiopian. At a $7.99 special lunch-only price, I was a bit skeptical that the plate would be inadequate, because I skipped breakfast today, and was quite hungry. My assumptions were incorrect. The plate contained a more than ample sampling of delicious Ethiopian food, and I devoured every last morsel. I was told that the vegan plate for dinner is significantly larger, and has a greater variety of dishes. I am going to have to come back to try this! The restaurant is tastefully decorated in a modern style, and our waitress was very aware and informed of vegan food and their vegan offerings (which I find is rare at Ethiopian restaurants).

Pros: Excellent food, Reasonable prices

Dear Owner and Manager of Sheba Ethiopian Restaurant: