Shangri-La Tea Room and...

Tea room and vegetarian restaurant. Tea, soups and food, herbal apothecary, and art gallery. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Asian, International
1800 W Overland Rd (Federal Way)
Boise, Idaho 83705
208-392-8087

Open Mon 10-6, Tue 10-7, Wed-Sat 10-8, closed Sunday.

First Review by bribee
seasoul12
seasoul12

Yummers

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2014

I LOVE this place...the food is totally delish and the they have an amazing tea selection. The staff is very personable and friendly and I would recommend this place to everyone!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, groovy vibe
IdahoGirl
IdahoGirl

Disappointed

2 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2013

I've been here only a handful of times (literally like 5 times total) and every time I've been here it has been an unpleasant experience. The service is always very slow, the food is a bit overpriced and honestly, the owner's business skills with running a restaurant are considerably lacking. I highly suggest hiring a manager that knows the importance of quality customer service, friendly AND attentive service, and how to properly price items to match portion sizing. If this wasn't the only vegetarian restaurant in town, I would never have returned after my second visit (I always give a business a second chance if my first experience wasn't a pleasant one). They would also do well to add a kids menu.

Pros: Good Vegetarian and Vegan options, Lots of tea varieties to choose from
Cons: Painfully Slow Service, No Kids Menu, Poor Management
kayleebarton
kayleebarton

Tons of vegan and some Raw options

4 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2013

Shangri-La is well worth a visit for vegan, vegetarians and even (gasp) carnivores. I ordered the edamame salad, Asian salad and the hummus appetizer. Being mostly raw, I'm used to BIG portions of food, so ordering and inhaling 2 salads isn't unusual. Portion sizes are a bit small, so don't be bashful about ordering the big size salad. Brian had the yellow tofu potato curry, which he described as the right mix of curry, tofu and greens. Warm wheat tortilla packed with savory ingredients. Highly recommend the Shangri-La.

Pros: Menu options, Raw food!, Decent beer, wine and stout tea options
Cons: Portion sizes (order more), Ambience could use some work (but adorable)
VegFriends
VegFriends

Excellent food - Service a bit lacking

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2012

The Cheesy Kale Chips (vegan) are excellent! The Edamame Salad is quite good. We asked them to leave off the cheese and add sautéed kale to the Tofu Scramble and it was excellent! For dessert - an amazing Power Pudding!

Pros: Excellent food, Nice atmosphere, Many vegan options
Cons: Servers not very attentive (there were only two ta

michelleg
michelleg

Guess I expected more

3 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2012

Overall impression? The food was pretty good but the atmosphere was akin to 'uppity' Boise and the Co-op.

Slow service, though I think that is more in part due to the speed in the kitchen rather than our server.

The overall vibe was unfriendly/unwelcoming. (Something like visiting a coffee bar for the first time and not knowing 'the lingo' while a huffy barista stares at you, waiting for your order. [I'm not saying our server was like this, I'm just trying to explain the vibe in the place.])

The vegan items are clearly marked (thank you!), there isn't much of a raw selection, and there are no vegan desserts (really?!?).

Some of the prices are a little high for what you get.

They are closed on Sunday; not a plus for M-F workers who run errands on Saturday and are looking for somewhere veg to eat.

Pros: Large tea selection, Vegan items clearly marked
Cons: Unfriendly atmosphere, Slow service, Small raw selection
  • AngelaHappenstance AngelaHappenstance

SamanthaJoseph
SamanthaJoseph

I love this place.

5 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2012

Great selection of teas, the service and owner are so nice and helpful. I have never had a bad experience. Sometimes they have live music. The atmosphere is very casual. This is the only option for completely vegetarian/vegan food in Boise. Highly recommended.

Pros: Tea service, Knowledgable and friendly service, Local and family owned
Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

Meh

3 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2012

Great bubble tea and hot tea, well-seasoned and fresh entrees. Yummy kale chips! But no vegan desserts and EXTREMELY slow kitchen and service, even when the restaurant is empty.

Pros: Good entrees, Good tea
Cons: No vegan dessert, Slow service
  • AngelaHappenstance AngelaHappenstance

It is very strange that two people are commenting that there are no vegan deserts, when the Power Pudding is Completely Vegan, just check out the ingredients: Power Pudding: A nutrient dense power treat. Guilt free and delicious. A creamy blend of organic raw cacao, avocado, raw coconut butter, maca, goji berries and dates. Served with blueberries and chopped walnuts. $6 BTW, this desert has been served at Shangri-La for years, in on the menu listed with the ingredients and is a Vegan Favorite of many of my friends. I hope your experience is better next time, be sure to read the ingredients, although they might have been Out of this Epic Vegan Desert the day that you were there! I get it every almost every time I'm there! http://www.shangri-latearoomandcafe.com/Menus/ShangriLaTeaRoomAndCafe.pdf

nikki3208
nikki3208

• non-vegetarian

Love it!!!

5 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2011

I just discovered Shangri-la, I went there last Thursday, 30th of Dec. I love the place! The owners were nice and very courteous, laid back personalities. The made sure we had everything we need and if we had any questions they were happy to answer them. The people that were in there were by no means "snooty",i felt comfortable and was able to maintain conversation with the person I went with. A family and their 2 little children came in and weren't treated in any sort of unbecoming way. I am making Shangri-la a regular hang out, cant wait to go and hear some of the music that's played on the little stage!

P.s- the chocolate torte and green tea ice cream is delicious!!!

Pros: chill atmosphere, great food, lovely service
MM
MM

• raw

Bad attitude towards customers

2 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2010

I went in the other day with a friend who had never been there. The owner was so brisque and dismissive that we ended up walking out and not eating there. I've eaten there before and the food was just okay, but don't expect a friendly atmosphere where they appreciate your business when you go. In this town that is full of steakhouses and nowhere else to go for exclusively vegetarian foods, they don't seem too appreciative of those that do patronize there which is unfortunate since a plant-based diet is what Boise needs.

Pros: Good food
Cons: Bad attitude, Not a big variety of options
willbearsmom
willbearsmom

Good Vegetarian and Vegan Food

4 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2010

Shangri-La is a team house and vegetarian restaurant with very good food and great tea. At the moment, it is the only vegetarian restaurant in Boise. Eat there.

They don't have anything terribly unique, but everything is fresh and tasty. I'd give it five stars if they were nicer to kids.

Pros: Vegan options clearly marked on menu, Raw food options available, Great teas
Cons: Not very kid friendly.
bribee
bribee

Pretty good.

3 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2009

This place was all right. The atmosphere was a little too casual for my taste, as the owner spent most of the time chatting with a friend at the bar and not checking with patrons. The prices are reasonable, if you can put up with the snooty regulars.

Pros: good prices, wide tea selection
Cons: slow service
  • AJo AJo

The regulars must not be THAT snooty, if they put up with a casual atmosphere, slow service, and an owner who chats with friends at the bar. Seems to me that the person who does have a problem with those things (enough of a problem with it to leave a mediocre review) would be the snooty one. I, for one, really enjoy that place and I'm not a "snooty regular" by any means.

• Trebor9 Trebor9

Wow! Both too casual and too snooty for you. I must check this place out.

Dear Owner and Manager of Shangri-La Tea Room and Vegetarian Restaurant: