Authentic, simple vegetarian Chinese cuisine. The varied menu features vegetable and tofu dishes, rice and noodle, sizzling platters, and faux meat dishes. Narrow but deep interior with dim lighting, plenty of seating. Old school decor. Located in the Chinese/Asian section of Irving street alongside other Vietnamese and Chinese food restaurants. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Kosher, Beer/Wine
2026 Irving St (21st, Outer Sunset District)
San Francisco, California 94122

dkinjer
dkinjer

very enjoyable

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

My spouse had the sweet and sour spare ribs and I had a tofu dish with vegetables - there are so many on the menu that I don't remember which one, but I did enjoy it. We had two guests with us (family) who also enjoyed what they ordered. The restaurant is pleasant, the service was good, the tea served with the meal also enjoyable.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 05, 2014

Pros: Tasty food, good service
sandramv
sandramv

1 of my faves! Convenient, delicious & affordable!

5 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2014

The complete menu is vegan, they have delicious food and big portions. They also have lunch 'bento boxes' which are super yummy, filling and affordable. Located in the Sunset District, on the not-so crowded part of Irving. The people there are so sweet and helpful. The service is great, the food is one of the best chinese vegan food I've tasted.

Updated from previous review on Thursday July 24, 2014

Pros: Delicious, Affordable, Location
soma
soma

Best Chinese Vegetarian Restaurant in SF

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2014

This was easily the best Chinese Vegetarian restaurant my family has been to in San Francisco. We went there last night after seeing sun set in the ocean. It was busy but had couple of tables left. We ordered 2 soups and dumpling. Sweet & sour soup had a kick and I thought I had gone to heaven. (It was on the spicy side but all the more better for me since it was too hot for my wife and kids). For entree, we ordered Fragrance chicken (best taste), eight vegetable noodle dish (okay) and a vegetable tempura (oily).
Service was friendly. All in all we plan to go back and would recommend this place to other vegetarians.
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 14, 2010

Pros: Best Tasting Vegetarian Chinese in SF, Large Portions, Good Value

Chia
Chia

Authentic Chinese, casual and quick

4 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow and decided to come here and try the food. Here's my Shangri-la review.

It's a narrow place but deep and actually fits plenty of tables. The decor is a bit old school and slightly out-dated. The staff is quick and friendly.

Menu is extensive with a variety of rice, vegetable, mock meats, and noodle dishes. I wasn't terribly hungry, so I just a fried rice without egg. It was brown rice with diced fresh veggies and small cubes of smoked tofu. The flavor was pretty good, and is authentically Chinese, but the brown rice was a too hard for my liking. I often find that restaurants that serve short grain brown or red rice do not soak the rice before cooking and ends up serving slightly hard rice.

The diners at the next table ordered some yummy looking pan-fried dumplings and a sizzling hot plate with veggies and a faux beef which smelled good.

From perusing the menu I saw that the prices were all rather inexpensive with most dishes range from $7.25 to $8 each.

Overall Shangri-la is a good place to grab an inexpensive, real Chinese meal. Not fancy but hearty enough.

HappyMarmot
HappyMarmot

Good food

4 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2012

Food is good and cheap, staff is friendly. They play Secret Garden upon our request, makes the food taste better somehow. I would definitely change the interior design and update the restrooms. Easy to find parking at Lincoln, I don't mind walking couple blocks to the restaurant. And they have beer!

Pros: Good Food, Friendly staff, Easy parking
Cons: Interior design
celestialstar2004
celestialstar2004

Dingy

2 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2010

In the past we had wonderful vegetarian Chinese cuisine in SF. This was not 1. The restaurant was dark and dingy. The servor, maybe the owner, did not speak enough English to understand my allergy to mushrooms so she gave me fungus instead. The fried wontons were mostly greasy dough and the house tea had a strange taste. The restaurant needs updating in my ways. We were disappointed.

Mimi710
Mimi710

Tasty Chinese in the Sunset

3 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2009

Everything is vegan, prices are reasonable and they have won lots of best of awards. It's close to Golden Gate Park. There is lots to choose from like at other vegan chinese places. I would give them one ding though because the cubed tofu in my dish tasted like Lifelight which was a little off putting. It's near Enjoy but open when Enjoy isn't (that's how I actually ended up going the first time --- it was 3 pm and I found out that Enjoy is closed between 2:30 and 5.) so that's a plus. My friend and I both liked our food. I prefer Enjoy and Golden Era but I would go back here. Also, the name is fun to say.

jenngg
jenngg

It really is a Shangri-la...

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2009

My same auntie who introduced me to Anonda also introduced me to Shangri-la. This was 28 years ago. Shangri-la has been around for a long, long time, and there is a reason. The sweet and sour walnuts are to die for.
Funny story: some of my family members went together to Shangri-la. Among them was my brother-in-law, who is a typical Argentine man - never met a cow he didn't want to eat. His English wasn't great at this point, and throughout the meal, ate dish after dish of vegetarian meat replacements and had no idea they were not dead animals.

Pros: Fair prices, Neighborhood location, Sweet & sour walnuts
Cons: It's 75 miles from me....
condekedar
condekedar

Unusual selection, friendly service

3 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2008

I found the service here to be super-friendly and attentive. They give you free, subtle, tasty herbal tea which I got addicted to. The menu features unusual dishes (vegetarian kidney anyone?), which I have to try later. For this first visit, I tried their black bean "chicken." It was a decent, straight-forward stir fry with plenty of vegetables. However, what they gave me was actually mock duck from a can, which was okay, but hardly spectacular, given the array of mockmeats you can find in San Francisco. On a whole, there wasn't any special here, but it seemed pleasant and comforting and I look forward to trying their more unusual fare next time.

Pros: Service, Unusual dishes
Cons: Indistinct
Seitan_Nic
Seitan_Nic

Best Chinese lunch!

4 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2007

Lunch at Shangri-La is the best. Here's what you get: Herbal tea, the best homemade pickled vegetable salad you've ever had, "soup of the day"(always the same but delicious, tofu, potato, carrot and cilantro), a spring roll (vegan+delicious), an entree (I recommend the Cashew Gluten), brown rice and a couple of orange slices for under $10. If you go anytime but lunch, try my personal fav: B3- vege lamb with dioscoria root- incredible. Good service too.

Pros: Great food!, CHEAP!, Good service, too.
Cons: There are some misses on the menu. , Avoid the "chicken".

Dear Owner and Manager of Shangri-La: