Vegetarian restaurant in the heart of the monumental area of Mérida offering several vegan options, variety of teas, cocktails and desserts. Bright decor inside and out. Tofu and seitan dishes, salads, veggie burger, 'meat' balls. Generous portions. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Spanish
Calle Sagasta, 21 (left of Temple of Diana)
Merida, Spain 06800

Mon-Thu 1:30pm-4:00pm, 7:00pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 1:30pm-1:30am, Sun 1:30pm-11:00pm

First Review by Clare

me encantaron las tartas

Posted on 08 / 29 / 2015

Nos encantó el lugar, la atención de los camareros y la oferta de platos. Probamos la musaka vegetariana (buenísima) y las croquetas de setas y salsa de zanahorias. Eso si... Los postres fueron lo mejor de lo mejor. Son 100% caseros, muy variados y además si quieres te hacen tartas por encargo.

Pros: muy sabroso, raciones amplias, postres ricos
Cons: precio

Posted on 12 / 03 / 2012

It was very exciting to find Shangri-La in Merida; it is very hard to find vegetarian food in Spain. There was a good choices of dishes, and the owner/chef consulted with us a lot to make sure we were happy with our meal. She was a very interesting person to talk with. The ambiance, decor and music were very pleasant. We ate there twice during our 5 day stay and enjoyed our meals very much.

so good!

Posted on 08 / 06 / 2011

I was really happy to be taken to this restaurant by my hosts in Merida...they are enthusiastic carnivores. They really enjoyed their meal and left the restaurant more than satisfied, which is a testiment to the quality of the food here.
The atmosphere was lovely and the staff were relaxed & kind but attentive (and spoke excellent English)
We enjoyed delicious veggie dishes and the chef was flexible with my unusual request to have a dish served differently...she actually attended our table twice to make sure we were having a positive and satisfying experience!

If you are in Merida, you must eat at Shangri La- it's not often you have the good fortune to find a veggie place whose service and food are both excellent.

Pros: delicious food, varied menu, reasonably priced, great staff
Cons: smallish portions

Posted on 02 / 14 / 2011

Having travelled up a few hours from El Rocio through decidedly carniverous Huelva, where Museums of Ham and sausage making plants ruin an otherwise fairly pleasant landscape, I was exstatic to be informed by the lovely ladies of the Tourist Information centre in Mérida that this place existed.

I went in the evening and enjoyed the welcoming ambience, comfort and hospitality. The place has been running for roughly a year. The decor was vibrant with nice pictures of flowers and a hint of holistic undercurrents (a little dream-catcher in one corner and some nice artwork on the exterior which includes a quote: "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will be at peace") but I did not find the place to be overtly hippyish. There was a bar and at the time I was there, Michael Jackson was on the stereo.

I was most impressed with the service. The young waitress (who had spent time in the UK and the USA so I'm guessing would be able to translate the Spanish menu) was pleasant and attentive. When I asked which dishes were vegan she promptly went off to check with the cook- her mother. The chef was pleasant and oblliging and came away from her work to tell me that 2 out of the 3 salads were vegan (and the third could be veganised), along with the spaghetti bolognaise, the tofu with mushrooms, the seitan with vegetablles and a few other dishes.

I had the spaghetti and could not eat it all as the protion was huge. It was very tasty.

Sadly there were no vegan dessert options but vegetarians could look forward to different home-made desserts such as a 3 chocolate tart, carrot cake, cheesecake and there were a variety of teas and coffees.

Prices ranged from €8 to €12.
It was easy enough to find as it was just up from the Roman Temple of Diana.

Pros: tasty food, nice ambience, attentive service
Cons: no vegan dessert

Dear Owner and Manager of Shangri-La: