Shanghai and Tokyo Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Quick service style Chinese and Japanese food place that's mostly meat but also includes a selection of faux meat dishes made with TVP (textured vegetable protein with soy). Can request TVP chicken as substitute in most dishes. Request "no fish sauce." Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Japanese, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by CTChicklet
CTChicklet
CTChicklet

Great for Vegan Chinese Food

4 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2014

My daughter took me there for Mother's Day in 2013, and we loved the food, the friendly wait staff, and the peaceful decor. This is not up-scale dining, but it is very comfortable and much nicer than most Chinese restaurants. We enjoyed General Tso's Tofu with brown rice after some vegan sushi. We prefer tofu to faux meat because it's less processed. They only lightly deep-fried the chunks, which we appreciated, and they were not greasy at all. Also, the sauce was excellent, and the presentation of the sushi was absolutely beautiful! I took my husband back there, and he loved it also.

As I recall, there were ample vegan choices for us at this Asian restaurant, so we did not feel like they were just patronizing us. There was a real commitment to serving good vegan and vegetarian food. An added treat was having SOY ice cream and fresh fruit and nuts for dessert from the little ice cream parlor next door! It is one of those places where you make your own sundaes, which usually only have dairy-based ice cream. This one had both vanilla and chocolate soy soft-serve ice cream for us, along with some great fresh fruit and berries and a variety of good nuts.

There were some tables and chairs outside the ice cream place - and a few benches, I believe, down along the sidewalk - so we were able to sit comfortably outside and chat at the end of a fun, casual vegan dinner out. It was very relaxing and all of it was beautiful and delicious!

Pros: Excellent vegan/veg choices, Beautiful presentation of food, Great service
Cons: Served meat and dairy

Dear Owner and Manager of Shanghai and Tokyo Cafe: