Shandal's Vegetarian Cafe

Casual cafeteria-style set up featuring Jamaican cuisine using wheat gluten, soy, and veggies. Offer dishes like "rasta pasta". Usually approximately 15 dishes from which to choose, generous portions. Has 5 small tables for dine-in. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Jamaican, Caribbean, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by positivelou
Dorite215
Dorite215

Amazingly Fantastic

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2014

I went with friends who have been there several times before and kept telling me I would love it.. well Friday July 18th I went and was blown away.. 5 stars would be a bad rating.. 100 stars for me,., every dish was crazy good

RASTA PASTA!!!!!

theft78
theft78

Great variety and great price

5 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2013

Excellent food, excellent price and friendly service. Worth the visit!

Pros: variety, price, quality
Cons: limited seating, limited parking
justathought1988
justathought1988

So delicious I almost stopped breathing...

5 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2012

Absolutely fantastic. Laid back atmosphere, pretty cheap for the amount of food you get. I got the 9 piece sampler and got a pretty good scope he has to offer. The food was all so delicious I just kept on stuffing my face and almost forgot to breath. That's right, it's so yummy it might kill you! I'm salivating just thinking about it.

Pros: Delicious

Michael X. James
Michael X. James

Can't wait to go back!

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2011

Everything I tried here is great. Do yourself a favor and get the $8 large sampler (gets you a choice of 6 options out of the dozen or so they offer). Super-friendly chef/owner is great to talk to.

Pros: Inexpensive, Tasty, Friendly
rmark25
rmark25

Jamaican Homestyle

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2011

Buffet style and unpretentious with a lot of character and personality. The Chef was friendly and explained all that they offered and even the people hanging outside were friendly.
Great food, I especially liked the Curry chicken & potatoes. The BBQ Tofu was delicious and prepared the tofu in a unique way that it had more texture similar to Seitan. Okra! Cash only. Parking available on street

Pros: Food, friendly staff
Shirl
Shirl

Awesome Food!!

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2011

After reading the reviews posted on this site, I decided to check out Shandal's last night and see what all of the excitement was about. Well Let me tell you, it was amazing! After telling Shandal that this was my first time there, he described all of his offerings and gave me suggestions. I had my food "to go" and I was shocked at the weight of the container, it was so full and all for 8 bucks!! The BBQ tofu was the best but the curry chicken and beef stew weren't far behind. The best part is that I will have enough food for the next two nights!! Definately worth checking this place out.

Pros: Awesome Food, Huge Portions, Cheap
Cons: Not so great neighborhood, Parking is hit or miss on the street
melyssa528
melyssa528

OMG, I Love This Place!

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2011

I work for and in the city of Bridgeport where this wonderful eatery is located. I went Vegan and thought my days of eating out were over and would have to fast on water if I forgot my daily brown bag from home. I found "Shandal's" from this site one day and decided to try (the runner up would be 6inch veggies on whole wheat from Subway) which I was sick of and kept giving in to adding cheese to it for more 'flavor' then I would feel guilty afterward even though I didn't do this often...I guess it was more like a "one night cheese stand".
Firstly parking sucks!!!!! Then I walk in to the tiniest little narrow 'hole in the wall' and my heart sank ;( I passed 2 tiny 2 seat tables and walked up to the counter (bout 4 strides) and saw a man standing over his food lines up behind glass, in stainless steel containers in a warming countertop. It looked yummy so I said "Hi" and had the most wonderful conversation w/ the nicest man! I tried the large plate which enables you to pick like 6 different things because I wanted to try it all! THE BEST PART IS it was only $8 ! Holy crap, I thought Vegan food was supposed to be expensive :) I don't think it's organic but I've never asked. I now go to lunch here from work 2-3x a month and brown bag the rest (salads or leftovers) THIS FOOD IS AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS! Instead of Mc'd's, Bk , etc I now eat here. Please don't judge a book by its cover (like I almost did) Location is not the best but it is clean and so freaking good. My faves are: Bbq tofu (only tofu I can & will eat), mashed potatoes, lo mein noodles, 'chicken' w/ peppers & onions, and rice! Darn it...Now I'm hungry!

Pros: Best vegan food I've ever had, inexpensive, nice owner/server
Cons: parking, location, square footage
v-girl
v-girl

Tasty!!!

5 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2010

the food at Shandal's is delicious. the best vegan food I ever tried in CT. The place is small and nothing impresive but you need to try the food is so tasty, even my husband who doesnt like tofu said that everything was amazing. We also drive 35 minutes to get there , but it was worth it.

Pros: inexpensive, tasty, friendly service
Cons: far from home
sarahndipity
sarahndipity

Inexpensive and Delicious Vegan Food!!

5 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2009

Shandal's is amazing. The restaurant is so small and seemingly out of place in downtown Bridgeport, you'd never guess the wonderful food that awaits you when you enter. Shandal is so friendly and helpful, and he's a mighty fine cook. Everything is vegan, and there are so many different choices. The prices have gone up to 8 bucks for a large tray and 6 bucks for a small tray, but it's still a great value. The first time I went I got the 8 dollar tray so I could try more foods and it was enough for 3 meals! I enjoyed everything, but my favorites were the BBQ tofu and the mashed potatoes. The BBQ tofu has an amazing flavor, not too sweet, not too spicy, and when you order it with the mashed potatoes he takes the BBQ "drippings" and pours them on the mashed potatoes like gravy. Soooo good!!!! And as some other reviewers have pointed out, you have to order the mashed potatoes not only because they are so creamy and tasty, but because Shandal has this super-cool way of scooping them into a little ball. You get 6 different items with the 8 dollar tray, so it's easy to try everything and figure out what you like best. He also gives good recommendations for what goes with what. The only complaint I have (and this isn't Shandal's fault at all) is that the place is so tiny - there are only a couple of small tables with chairs, so it's difficult to dine in. I hope enough people find out about this great food so he can open up in a larger location and have some more seating!! You will not be disappointed with Shandal's.

Pros: All vegan, Inexpensive, Many different delicious choices
Cons: Not much room for dine-in
PixieDust721
PixieDust721

Food for the body and soul

5 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2009

My Fiance found this place by accident on the way back from a family party a few years ago. We have been going back every weekend since. It is far away from us (a 30 minute drive) but it is more than worth it. The food is spectacular and you can't beat the price! The owner is also a great person who's singing adds to the atmosphere. Everything is good, but my personal fav's are: Lomain, curry "chicken", "chicken" with peppers and onions, okra, and sunshine tofu. The best part is that I can have them all in one meal!

Pros: the best food!, price, large portions
Cons: too far away
jtct203
jtct203

Amazing food

5 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2008

I have eaten at Shandal's about 6 times now and it never gets old. Shandal is an exceptionally positive human being who greatly appreciates everyone who dines at his establishment. All the food is fresh and everything tastes amazing. I have been vegetarian for 21 years now and I wish that places like this existed back 15 years ago. You can literally gauge your face and stuff your stomach and not even feel the least bit bloated or gross.
Mon - Sat noon to 8pm and closed on Sundays!
The barbeque tofu is to die for!!
Shandal puts a lot of heart and art into his technique!

Pros: great selection, great price, great hospitality
Cons: limited seating
HungryVegan
HungryVegan

delicious food that's good for the soul

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2008

Everything we had was awesome. Okra, shells with beef, sunshine tofu, bbq tofu, lima beans, chicken with peppers. Amazing food and super friendly chef/owner.

Pros: amazing food, good vibes, inexpensive
Cons: just wish i lived closer
joshcamp
joshcamp

shandal's is delicious !

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2008

I've been to a couple veggie-ital restauarants in brooklyn, ny and shandal's food is right up there with the best of them ! I was passing thru bridgeport on the way from orange on business. I was looking for veg food but something different (for me) and this fit the bill ! absolutely delicious! i highly recommend.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
Cons: location
briennis
briennis

excellent restaraunt!

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2008

Shandal's is almost a half hour drive for me, but it's completely worth it! A wide variety of vegan jamaican food for a cheap price in a friendly environment; how can you go wrong? I personally prefer the Sunshine Tofu and the spicy chicken/potato dish, but there are so many options that you simply can't go wrong! Shandal is a mastermind of a chef, and is a lovely gentleman to deal with. I took some out-of-town friends there last week and one told me the other day that he had been thinking about Shandal's cuisine all week! It's that good. It's so reasonably priced, and even if you get stuffed (which is easy to do, with a large plate running you a paltry $7) you dont feel gross afterwards. Delicious, healthy, cheap vegan food! It's perfect!

solarvegan
solarvegan

well worth the trip

5 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2008

The food here is some of the best we've ever had at any vegan or vegetarian restaurant anywhere --and we've been to quite a few by now. It's a really small place but the owner and chef has a heart that's many times his restaurant's size! The owner is so helpful and friendly; he helped us choose from his 100 percent vegan choices, which is difficult because there were so many from which to choose. We loved the barbecue tofu and the sunshine tofu was spectacular. We also enjoyed the shells and tempeh and the "chicken" with red peppers and onions. And a previous poster was right: he was very skillful at scooping up his fantastic mashed potatoes! We accompanied our meal with a spicy ginger drink that he made himself. He gave us small enough portions of each of his meals so that we were able to sample all 12 on two plates -- all for only $7 a plate! The clientele was unusually friendly, too, which made the eating experience even more enjoyable. It is more than an hour trip for us, but it was worth every mile and we plan to return.

Pros: all vegan & yummy, friendly people, great value
jennn
jennn

yumyumyumyum

5 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2008

This place is so chill, and the food is soo good and it's cheap and delicious! I like the lentils and the bbq tofu the best, but everything is good. Everyone who comes in is friendly. I also suggest 'the xmas drink' haha it's in a bottle in the case and everyone i know forgets what it's called but it tastes like christmas. Praises!

Pros: yumyumyum, soooo nice, price
Cons: why so far away, makes me gassy
FIYHF
FIYHF

Vegan Paradise

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2008

Shandal's is CT's best vegan restaurant, aka, best restaurant. Delicious Ital cuisine that I wish I could eat every day. There's plenty to choose from and the dishes are so wonderfully spiced that it makes other food boring. Shandal is so pleasant that it is delightful to support his establishment. My favorite dishes are the potatoes and wheat gluten (the only spicy [as in hot and spicy] dish), the lima beans and mock chicken, and the sunshine tofu, but everything is great! Go to Shandal's ASAP, fall in love with it, and tell all your friends!!!

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Owner, all VEGAN
Cons: Limited Hours, Limited Seating, Too far from my house!
beardxpunx
beardxpunx

ital is vital!!!

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2008

Shandle is a radical dude. his service is impeccable and it comes with many blessings. the food is more than i could have hoped for. bbq tofu is out of this world. not to spicy not to plain. get ready for a party in your mouth. wooooooooo!

Pros: friendly staff, cheap, delicious
Cons: too filling, too great, too much fun
krystinacore
krystinacore

so good!

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2008

Shandal's Cafe is so rad! The owner and cook, Shandal, is always there with smile, ready to dish out some delicious food. You can pick your own dishes or let him choose for you - which he does carefully, like an artist! The food is incredibly reasonably priced and delicious. There are also freshly made juices and they rule! Go and support a cool dude, a place with a sweet atmosphere and some amazing food!

positivelou
positivelou

My new favorite CT eatery

5 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2008

This place is awesome! The owner/operator is super friendly and accommodating. Everything offered is delicious so on your first time there I recommend getting a large plate(6 items for 7 dollars) and have Shandal pick your combinations. Also, watch him scoop the mashed potatoes, his technique for turning them into a ball is freakin awesome! I can't get enough of this place...price is perfect, and everything is super delicious, even the fake fish item.

Pros: All-Vegan, no worries, food is way underpriced, friendly dude, very chill atmosphere
Cons: its not next door to my house, its off of 95, its not open 24 hours

Dear Owner and Manager of Shandal's Vegetarian Cafe: