Serves meat, veg options available. Macrobiotic restaurant open since 1987. Has vegan options. Daily lunch special is always vegetarian. Organic-focused. Fresh baked goods. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Juice bar, Costa Rican, Non-veg

First Review by pablocollier
Laura Grainger
Laura Grainger

Better food and options than veggie restaurants!

4 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2014

I came across Shakti first by accident, and boy was I a happy-chappy. Then I had to take my dad and another friend back there months later when I returned to San Jose.
This place has such a wide variety of food I took ages pouring over the menu to decide every time I've been.
The restaurant is also endless! The place just gets bigger the further you walk into it. Really nice vibe and friendly, attentive staff. The last time I went we stayed late, at one point we looked up and they'd closed most of the doors and had put up chairs on tables and were cleaning the floor, and we realised it must be past closing time. They had been too polite to ask us to leave!
Although it's not super central, it's totally worth the extra few blocks you might have to walk. I would take people here to experience better veggie food than at many of the actual vegetarian restaurants in San Jose. If only they went with their principles the whole way, this would be a five star place.

Pros: delicious, excellent value, wide range of options, including vegan!
Cons: not fully vegetarian
choogirl
choogirl

Great veggie burrito

4 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2014

I went here twice and both times had the veggie burrito, which is vegan if you ask them to hold the cheese and the margarine (which oddly comes in a dollop on the top). It is really very tasty. The salads here are also great, as are the juices. This place is very popular with locals, which is good to see.

corinal
corinal

Excellent food, good prices

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2013

I was a regular customer when I lived in San Jose. It is so good! And the drinks are great as well (try anything with guanabana in it!). It is reasonably priced, the atmosphere is really nice, and the people are friendly.

Pros: Good food, Great atmosphere
pablocollier
pablocollier

I'm a regular!

4 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2012

This is a great restaurant. The house special is always vegetarian. Usually very good. Their green salad on their house special is great!!! I have had their veggie burger and salad...enormous and great. They also serve meat dishes. The vegetarian items are extensive and good.

Pros: very clean, sell supplements, great desserts
Cons: Not 100% veg.

Dear Owner and Manager of Shakti: