Serves meat, veg options available. A small cafe in the Seward neighborhood offering breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late night snacks. The menu is vegetarian and vegan with the option of adding or substituting organic meat on some dishes. Meat is cooked and stored separately from veg. Live music on occasion. Accepts local checks. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Kosher, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

EverydayTastiness
EverydayTastiness

Tasty

Posted on 08 / 26 / 2014

I have been here a few times now. The food has been consistently good. My favorite, at the moment, is the root stirfry. I am also in love with the bakery case which almost always has a tasty vegan treat or two. The jupiter bar is great. I will be back.

jhawk
jhawk

I'll Be Back

Posted on 02 / 13 / 2012

Showed up early one morning to find a rabbit enjoying the community garden out back. I was impressed by the funky but functional set up. The back porch was chill. I had some great coffee and the vegan biscuits and gravy deluxe with garlic and broccoli. It was just what I was in the mood for. It is also a cooperative so cheers to them.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 13, 2012
Updated from previous review on Monday February 13, 2012

Pros: Funky, Tasty, Unique
jujutsuka
jujutsuka

art-mazing but food questionable

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2011

I got the Green Earth (hashbrowns, tofu instead of eggs, topped with steamed broccoli). It was very, very greasy, bland and made me feel not-so-good. On the other hand, the coffee was good and the art on the walls was freakin' amazing. I spent the duration of my breakfast in the art-imagination-land of happy thoughts while staring at the crazy gruesome and colorful clowns, aliens and skulls. I will go back again and pick something new from the menu.

Pros: art awesome, good coffee
Cons: greasy, dirty

g-force
g-force

An Icon & Co-op

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2009

I love Seward Cafe, and have for three decades. Though no longer 100% veg*n, it mostly is in practice, and completley is for us. Not fancy food, but some of the best taste and quality around. Egalitiarian approach means be your own wait staff - order at the bar, pick up at the kitchen, then bus your own dishes. It's a great experience. Weekend breakfast is like a party! Yum!

Pros: Quality, Generous portions, new experiences
Cons: none
bharath
bharath

Great Breakfast Place

Posted on 02 / 21 / 2009

My wife loves her Vegan Fluffy pancakes every time and I order a tempeh scramble and I like it. The place is generally clean. Their choice of sides including tahini and beets is nice. The whole breakfast always is little on the pricy side. They tend to keep all sides charged as extra. It is a nice atmosphere to spend the morning though the crowd is not as ethnically diverse.

Pros: Good Food, Nice ambience
Cons: Little Pricy
condekedar
condekedar

Good, but not great

Posted on 01 / 05 / 2008

Seward Cafe is a good companion to Hard Times Cafe, but doesn't comes close to matching HTC's atmosphere and food. For one thing, the crowd at Seward is less diverse ethnically, but equally as punker as HTC. The food is low-priced and pretty decent, but there's meat on the menu (unlike HTC), and I don't think the dishes are nearly as creative as HTC. Seward focuses on greasy-spoon items---I liked their tofu mock muffin, which is a vegan alternative to egg McMuffins. During the summer Seward has dishes with local produce, which might improve my subsequent rating. We'll see.

Pros: Prices, Breakfast foods
Cons: Not 100% vegetarian, Atmosphere, Hours

Dear Owner and Manager of Seward Cafe: