Washington DC vegan cafe near Takoma Metro station. It's connected to the Senbeb health food shop. Very small place that's mostly take-out with a few tables for seating. Sample menu items include faux meat sandwiches, raw food, biscuits n' gravy, mac n' cheese, cornbread, and greens. Vegan brunch on Sunday. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Soul Food, Take-out

First Review by bduboff

Outstanding food, Great Prices, Amazing staff!

5 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2014

Wow, was this place amazing. I travel to DC several times a year but this time I was going to the Smithsonian with a friend that was visiting me. He’s a science teacher and wanted to see a few exhibits, so we planned a day trip. I let him choose the restaurant since he was visiting. To be honest, this is not a place I would have ever tried on my own but I am so glad he picked this one. The food is very affordable and outstanding. I asked the counter person (who was amazingly nice and knowledgeable) choose her favorites for me to try. I ended up with a stew (which I would have never chosen but it was phenomenal), collard greens (my first time ever trying them and they were delicious), and crispy tofu skins (like what fried chicken would be like). Wow, everything was phenomenal. My friend picked out corn bread and a ‘chicken’ and broccoli dish. He loved his food as well. I crave this place, can’t wait to go back to DC.

Pros: Outstanding Food, Cheap price, Fantastic staff

Vegan Sanctuary

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2014

Wow, am I glad that this place is all vegan or what?! They have specials that change up their menu, so even though the menu is small, it's nice to keep going back.

The prices for some items are moderate, while others are a super deal.

Brunch is a hot commodity here, and they can become very busy. Vegan omelets made with tofu-base are alright, as are the home fries, but the biscuits, grits and pancakes are awesome. The biscuits might be the BEST vegan biscuits around… just saying!! I think the pancakes are a really good deal, and the waffle special (with chick'n) too was a great price point.

It's refreshing to see that many will come out for the lunch at this out of the way location. Foot traffic could be higher, but maybe it's got some from the local high school nearby. They definitely have a lot of regulars that support them, so become one, too! They are really nice, accommodating and patient.

Sandwiches with plenty of awesome vegan sides should do the trick for any lunch appetite. The dessert varies, but it's definitely a plus that they will feature local bakers, as well as some from Vegan Treats.

Although not the best place for sitting and eating, and they do use plastic disposable goods for service, the vegan-ness is to be supported - go! Yum!

Pros: 100% vegan brunch, Vegan Treats desserts
Cons: Plastic service ware, Seating limited

excellent brunch

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2014

Passing through town we stopped in for lunch. So happy to find that the whole menu was home cooked, fresh, and vegan. I got the cheesy veggie omelet. So delicious. Also tried the kale salad and the carrot cake. Everything was superb.

Worthwhile detour

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2013

On my way from the Philadelphia area to central VA, I randomly selected a (veg/vegan) place for lunch. Could not have been happier with my pick, despite the fact that there were no recent reviews and that it was a bit out of my way. All I can say, if you are anywhere even remotely close, you should check it out (and go hungry). The food was amazingly good (vegan & organic, as well as cooked and raw choices) and the folks were super nice. I had the bbq tofu over brown rice with collards, plantains, and cornbread (yum). I will most certainly go back if and when I am in the area again. Also conveniently located next door is a health food market, which looked very inviting.

Pros: healthy food choices, Good price, Super nice people
Cons: Too far from Philly :)

Vegan goodness even non-vegans loved

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

Recently had takeout from Senbeb Cafe, an all-vegan restaurant adjacent to the Senbeb Natural Food Co-op, in NW Washington, DC, just inside the district line from Takoma Park, MD.
Extensive vegan menu posted on overhead board, with a very affordable special of the day for $13.00, that included the entree, three sides, and a choice of breads.
I visited with two non-vegan, non-vegetarian cousins, who lived nearby, yet had not been to the restaurant. They were a bit skeptical about my choice of eatery, yet since I offered to treat them to dinner, they went along with my choosing Senbeb.
It was my first visit to the restaurant as well, so I asked the counter person what she would recommend to show them just how amazingly good vegan food can be.
She recommended that day's special, the jerk chicken, with sides of seasoned rice, sauteed kale, and plaintains, with cornbread. They loved it, though my 80-year old cousin, a native southerner at heart who loves his greens, thought the kale could have used some "spicing up." He thought the "jerk tofu" was really chicken, and said so repeatedly.
His daughter said a bit of hot sauce and vinegar fixed her kale to her liking. She saw the mac and cheese I ordered as an extra side, and got her one, too. She thought it tasted as good as any mac and cheese she had ever had, saying it must be "regular cheese;" and said the same as her dad about the jerk "chicken." Both enjoyed the cornbread.
I had the vegan salmon croquettes - very moist and tasty, with sides of kale (yes, I added a touch of hot sauce since Tabasco sauce was not available), sweet potatoes, mac and cheese and cornbread.
All very satisfying, and highly recommended, even by the non-vegans.

Pros: excellent food, good value, convenient location
Cons: limited hours, small for dining in

THE BEST VEG PLACE IN DC.

5 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2012

Wow! We've eaten at most every V place in the city except for the few food carts and this is possibly the best one going. In terms of atmosphere, it's nothing, but if food matters then Senbeb rocks. They are in a quite residential area in NW and have only 4-5 tables. Ordering is done at the counter and it seems like it's mostly a take out place. We ordered lunch which was so good we got 2 more entrees for take out. The menu is a quirky mix of soul and chinese and american - all of which is superb. In fact their chinese dishes are better than most of the veg chinese places we've been to and (according to my wife who is Taiwanese) as good as anything she's been served in Taiwan. We had the crispy tofu sandwich, chicken curry, black-eyed pea soup, southern fried chicken, beef and broccoli, kale, green beens, cole slaw, and raw pecan pie - all fantastic!! Parking is easy on the street. No website but they seemed busy. Yum Yum Yum - go check out and support Senbeb Cafe.

Pros: Vegan, Superb Food, Easy Parking
Cons: No Website, decor, not yet franchised

Dear Owner and Manager of Senbeb Cafe: