Vietnamese cuisine including local noodle soups. Price: Moderate more-less

Coppelia
Coppelia

Tasty... mostly

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

Some of the dishes here are quite sweet (as a previous reviewer has stated), the canh chua's (sour soups) and most of the goi's (Vietnamese style salads) being the worst offenders in my mind. The kho to (clay pot braised) dishes however are excellent; the young jackfruit one in particular is the best I've had in the city. Bo la lot (mock beef wrapped in betel leaf and grilled, served with herbs, lettuce, dipping sauce, and rice paper), most of the sauteed veggies (especially the morning glory), and pho are also good here, but bun Hue is disappointing. Most veg. places in Vietnam get really busy on first and mid. days of the lunar calendar ("fasting" days for lay Buddhists), but Sen gets super crazy, so I'd avoid it then.

LM
LM

overly sugary

3 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2013

All the dishes I had were excessively sweet. Preparation style and flavors really reminded me of Vietnamese restaurants in San Jose, CA, and not so much of local food in Saigon.

Wood tables and windowside tables with a view of a downtown street, a significantly nicer setting than average, but not upscale.

English menu available.

Staff speak a little English.

Not a vegan restaurant, but can provide lots of vegan options.

Pros: English menu, above-average setting
Cons: not a vegan restaurant, overly sweet dishes
Whocindah
Whocindah

Tasty and Flavourful

4 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2013

We had the veggie hotpot, sweet and sour veggie pork, and roasted veggie chicken with bun. All were very tasty with fresh ingredients and lots of flavour. There are three levels of seating, we opted for a table on the third level but there is also more traditional take off your shoes and sit on pillows seating on the second floor.

Pros: tasty, quick service , very reasonable prices
Cons: steep stairs

BradenPollock
BradenPollock

Good but not great

3 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2013

It's a nice, quiet setting in an otherwise loud and busy part of town. The food is good but I've had much better in the city. The prices are reasonable too. As for the towel charge, I'm not sure why they charge for the service but if you don't want it you can simply refuse. Keep in mind that the charge is 3000 Dong, which is about $.15 at the moment.

Pros: Quiet, nice setting , Clean , Reasonable prices
Cons: Good but not great
greenvk
greenvk

Great Spot

3 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2013

Very clean and great food. Small sit on the floor tables. Staff don't speak too much English. Menu in English though. Very nice food. Medium price. Wet towel charge was a downside. They also gave us the wrong bill, so make sure you check before paying. Worth the visit though.

Pros: Clean, Reasonable Price
Cons: Sit On Floor, Wet Towel charge
matankantor
matankantor

the most interesting vegan cuisine

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2012

We had dinner here, the restaurant has three storeys and is quite popular.
We took one of the recommended dishes on the menu, along with a "standard" fried race in a pineapple (which was good), it was mock beef rolled inbouled greens, served with rice paper an greens. Seeing our stupified looks and hand signals (no english spoken here), the waitress wetted the rice paper and proceeded to roll the rolls with the greens and dipped it all in a miso like dip.
Everything tasted great, along with a wonderful avocado shake.
Highly recommended, though strangely they charge a 3000 dong fee for the wet tissue... but it too added to the feeling of an upscale majestic dinner.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: no english spoken, wet tissue pricing
flowerpopgurl
flowerpopgurl

Elegant but...

2 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2011

We ate here on our last stay in HCMC. Every breakfast we would buy our veggie baguette here and was very satisfied with it. On our last day, we finally decided to eat in their resto. At first, we were denied because according to them they are still closed but we came as per the opening hours posted at their door. They eventually let us in and we managed to order. The staff and can't speak English so we have to point our orders. We didn't worry because it's a vegan resto in the first place. I think it was the manager who came and greeted us, she's very pleasant and is the only one that can speak English. We ate, paid and went back to the park to kill time before we leave Vietnam. A few hours later, I experienced something weird in my stomach. I felt dizzy and throwed up after just a few hours. I do not know what we ate or what was on there but that's our last stop. Luckily, my partner didn't experience any of what I felt and was relieved that I did not felt it while on the plane and back to our country. A few hours after our arrival, i got this very high fever and could not eat. I decided to do water therapy and not eat anything solid. I got better after my water therapy and was very lucky to detoxify. I got traumatized after eating here and will now be very picky everytime.

Pros: near Pham Ngu Lao
Cons: Staff can't speak english
vegeboy
vegeboy

Nice Food

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2010

I stay in HCM for a while and regular visit this place for lunch and dinner, in VN the moist tissue in the packet, that leave on the table, in every restaurant and cafe, if you use it, they charge for it. $1 dollar we can exchange for 19,500 dong, even if they charge you extra 5000 that maybe for something that you used that haven't take into account in the receipt, as a tourist, sometime take it easy, don't count every cents, this small restaurant serve good food and I will definitely come back again.

Inkling
Inkling

Great fake meats

4 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2009

We visited Sen a couple of times whilst in HCMC. The noodle soups we had were served with vietnamese mint, dried banana flower, lime, and some slices of the hottest chilli I have ever tasted. All very fragrant and delicious.
We also tried some of the fake meat dishes which were amazing. I wish I could get this stuff at home!
The service was friendly, the decor very clean and tidy, and the prices quite good although we were charged for moist towelettes on the second visit.

Pros: great men selection, nice decor, friendly staff
Cons: charged for towelettes
Swee-Moon
Swee-Moon

Sensational Food

5 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2009

The food is delicious. We were in HCM for about 6 nights and ate at this place about 4 of those nights. we just wanted to try everything on the menu. The meals seem to be made with love, they were so delicate, as well as being extremely flavoursome. The restaurant itself has a peaceful ambience and is very comfortable. We spoke to one of the owners and he was such a lovely man. I thoroughly recommend this restaurant for tryely delectable vegetarian food. My husband, who isn't vegetarian, loved the chicken drumsticks!

Pros: Healthy, tasty, affordable
Cons: no cons
terrorfearor
terrorfearor

thik hai

3 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2009

this place was pretty sweet, not exactly what I'd call healthy (a little on the greasy side) but with a pretty wide menu mostly based on mock meats and quick service. Average sushi at best. It has a nice atmosphere up stairs and you can get baguettes out the front for 10.000 dong.

Pros: quick service, tasty, friendly
Cons: don't bother with the sushi
mybalo
mybalo

First and last visit

4 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2009

I was thoroughly happy with my first visit to Sen Quan Chay until I was presented with the bill. They charged 5,000 dong more than what was printed on the menu. When I asked why, they said prices were higher at the market today. I had no problem with that, but said that if they were going to charge more they had to tell customers in advance. They disagreed. I told them that I would never return there, and I won't. If you do go, be sure to ask the price of each item you order in order to avoid surprises.

Pros: Excellent food, Good portions, Pleasant atmosphere
Cons: Dishonest pricing

Dear Owner and Manager of Sen Quan Chay: