SEM - Super Eko Markt

This store sells organic produce, deli food, vitamins. Began offering vegan choco softice in summer 2013. more-less
Voorstraat 21
Utrecht, Netherlands 3512 AH
030-2319482

Open Mon-Wed 1-8pm, Thur 10am-9pm, Fri 10am-8pm, Sat 8am-7pm, Sun 12-6pm.

First Review by kris
hack_man
hack_man

Full of Delights

3 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2014

A nice homely store selling everything a vegetarian or vegan needs for their home and more. Huge range of De Vegatarische Slager 'meats' and order chilled delights. Here's a quick run down of what they sell; Herbs, preserves, wine, beer, cheese, bread, toiletries, household products, vegetarian mock meats, fruit & veg, teas & infusions, confectionary, pizzas and cakes. Enjoy

Pros: range, friendly
Cons: meat section
MaxSpringer
MaxSpringer

Best real food in Utrecht!

5 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2013

I've been nearly completely converted to being a vegetarian because of the huge variety of products featured at SEM. The owner has obviously spent years and years researching the healthiest possible available ingredients - for the healthiest possible food. Gourmet quality and healthy competitively priced treats pack the walls and shelves, and if you do not see what you want, just ask Frank and he'll quickly come up with solutions. I understand he has effectively healed himself through concentrating on the natural foods that he sells. He has made it all a personal interest of his, and he takes 'health' and 'gourmet quality' very seriously indeed, and I wish there were more store-owners around with the same philosophy. Of course for the real meat-eater he also stocks some of the best items going, tender gourmet cuts of lamb, beef, chicken, deer ... all biological and absolutely natural. The stock has to be seen to be appreciated, it seems infinite! Now I'm hungry.
Updated from previous review on Friday September 20, 2013

Pros: excellent food, excellent herbal remedies, excellent research
Cons: I wish they were open for more hours, They need a bigger store!

Shocking behaviour by the owner

1 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

One of the most shocking experiences I’ve had in a store. Whether he has a mood disorder or is simply eccentric, this owner doesn’t know anything about how to treat customers. He asked my non-Dutch-speaking boyfriend to leave his take-out coffee at the door. This was a reasonable request which I translated for my boyfriend. My boyfriend decided to wait for me outside and finish his coffee out there and was happy to do this. However, after my boyfriend had left the store, the owner made what I would consider to be a patronising and inappropriate comment about such behaviour not being allowed in any country. I said to another friend we were with that I would be leaving the store because I found this comment to be rude, unnecessary and discriminatory. The owner’s immediate reaction was to start shouting after me in an aggressive manner as I left. My friend then followed me out of the store and he followed her onto the street and stood shouting on the pavement. I couldn’t hear everything but I did hear the ‘f-word’ used and he also mockingly shouted things in English about ‘oooh my boyfriend’. We started to walk away but he continued to shout at us as we did. My friend and I turned back to tell him that the shouting was inappropriate – but it just got worse. He continued to swear, made comments about my appearance and called me ‘vrouwtje’ – a derogatory term meaning ‘little woman’. This continued for another few minutes before we walked away again, still leaving him shouting after us. Judging from other reviews on the internet, this is not an uncommon occurrence and I am surprised that he is able to stay in business.

Cons: Abusive owner
  • nepapape nepapape

I totally agree. That guy is crazy. I would better describe him as an old weirdo.

I went to his shop and I was chewing a gum, he started asking me if my gum had aspartame, and when I said no, he wanted me to blow air at him to verify that my breath did not smell aspartame.

Ophee
Ophee

MADE ME CRY!!!!!!!

1 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

My boyfriend and I experienced the most rude experience of our lives here. The owner made me cry with what he said! I was comparing the nutrition facts on 2 ice creams, one rice and the other soy when he got angry at me for having them out of the freezer for 90 seconds. That "comparing isnt buying" treating me like an irresponsible child. I was furious! I was going to buy one after making an educated decision about the ingredients but sure as hell didnt buy from him! Worst service of my entire life. I was almost thinking of going back and telling him how horrible he was. [edit by staff]

Cons: RUDE SERVICE, MEAN PEOPLE
Detroitchic
Detroitchic

Good Store!

4 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2012

Since the previous reviews are more about the owner than the store, I'd like to play the devil's advocate by saying that I also was struck by the original nature of owner. I would prefer to call his mood 'eccentric' rather than a 'mood disorder',...which can easily be unfairly slapped onto anyone on any given day, conducive to whim. The store is the outcome of someone's sincere effort to provide a very good variety of options for those of us who don't eat animals. All power to such an owner for such dedication! Perhaps we can use more eccentric natures, just so we learn to flex a overly socialized and rigid muscle? hmph... Go, and say it ain't so. !

ostepop
ostepop

Good selection, funny owner

4 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2010

SEM has a good selection of everything you would expect in a health food store, and maybe even more. The owner is a weird and talkative guy who'll want to talk to you for ages about what to do and where to go in Utrecht, if you're a tourist like me.

Pros: Selection, Prices, The funny/weird owner
kris
kris

Mood disorder

2 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2006

The owner suffers from a mood disorder, one day he's very friendly and helpful, next day he can have a go at you for no particular reason. Never boring. Convenient opening hours!

Pros: Convenient opening hours
Cons: Owner is kind of funny

Dear Owner and Manager of SEM - Super Eko Markt: