Self Naturista

Offers a wide choice of self service food to be heated in a microwave after purchase. Limited vegan choices. Located off the top of La Rambla. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Buffet, Spanish, Western
C/Santa Anna 11-17 (1 block below Placa de Catalunya)
Barcelona, Spain
933182388/93

First Review by Stevie
hack_man
hack_man

Tray'n'Pay

3 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2014

This is what veggie places used to be like 10 years ago when I first started out on my animal free culinary adventures. If you found a place like this you'd be so happy. Now, things are so different. It's just a typical self-service diner laid out like a works canteen where you pick your food up, put it on a tray and eat it surrounded by other people doing the same. Fair play, it's vegetarian but there's nothing ground breaking here. In Barcelona now we have the emerging uber talents of Rasoterra and Zataar as well as the impressive Teresa Carles and the firmly established L'Hortet, Biocenter and Organic. I'm afraid one visit here was enough but at least it was busy, fairly priced and functional.

Pros: location, lots of seating
Cons: mass produced food, no imagination
jeanjeanie
jeanjeanie

Not interesting or comfortable

2 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2012

This restaurant really is like a school canteen with plastic tables and fixed plastic chairs. Absolutely NO atmosphere. Most of the food is already plated up at the counter. If you want it heated, you have to do it yourself in a microwave round the corner! The plated food seemed to be just plates of vegetables. For example my plate was: pile of peas, a fried egg, large mushroom, slice of polenta, pile of plain rice, aubergine slices in a batter. My husband had piles of boiled vegetables. The smoothies were good and dessert was OK. Although we went in a a Saturday evening, it was very quiet. Half way through the meal the lady cleaning the toilets came through the restaurant with her bucket and mop! The website looks very good but it does not match up with the experience. The web site says " A unique experience in vegetarian food". I would agree. I have been a vegetarian for 40 years and I have to say that it ranks as one of the worst vegetarian eating places that I have come across. It is cheap, but I would not recommend it, unless you are in Barcelona on a budget.

Pros: Smoothies good, Dessert OK
Cons: Is, in fact, a canteen, no effort at doing stylish meals, Website gives wrong impression
Hungry Boy
Hungry Boy

Disgusted

2 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2011

The food looked good - pakora, red pepper tomato. I should have realised it would not microwave well. I was very hungry and ate half. The felt disgusted all day. The atmosphere was not great. But hey I could put up with that if the food ad been edible.

I strongly recommend this place for people with no taste buds who don't care about the mouth feel of their food.

I would give this one cow's head if that option was available

Pros: Central, There are good restaurants nearby
Cons: Disgusting food, Microwaved, Yuk!!!
pin_y_pon
pin_y_pon

Awful

2 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2010

the worst vegetarian place you could ever try in Barcelona, scary and not even cheap !!! rotten veggies (especially mushroms), cheap mashed potatoes stuffings, dehidrated soy crumbs (aka fake ground meat) used in many tastless dishes. Unapealing salats, most of items are boiled instead of fresh 'n raw, (=from preserves?) Dishes that seem to have laid there all week,they are either made out of boiled tastles veggies, or fried greasy ones; poor deserts (overly sugary) Cheap oil dressings in big oilcans, poor dressings in general.
Cold atmosphere, resembles a factory's canteen. won't even give you some extra napkins without giving you a dirty look. A microwave is there to re-heat your luke warm plates...wonder what a micro does in this self-named "natural self-service"----yeap ! Plus many plates that can seen there are not elegible in the menu (!!!)In which case it will raise the price a lot.It is central, a pitty, many going by people fall into the trap !

Pros: central, if you are really desperate..., none
Cons: tasting awful, poor quality/price relation, cold athmosphere
flappylove
flappylove

It is what it is

4 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2010

It may not have the atmosphere of most restaurants (it feels a bit like being in a strange drab European art-house film) and warming up your food in a microwave is not particularly appealing. However this restaurant had a great range of home cooked food considerably cheaper than anything else in the vicinity. Everything we tried was very tasty, obviously home-made and not processed food. It was a largely mediterranean menu but quite diverse and 100% veggie. Ok don't go here for a dressy evening out but if you want really tasty food at a very good price this restaurant is a good savvy choice.

Pros: Tasty home-cooked food, Cheap-ish
Cons: Microwave

milosz13
milosz13

not recommended

2 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2010

I ate here on my last day because I wanted to try something cheaper than the Organic Orgasmic restaurant. It was slightly cheaper but all the good-looking dishes were not eligible in the menu (which I had ordered) which disappointed me. also the quality of the food was not really good. one dish i ate not even half of it. it wasn't even really hot. if you need to eat cheap go to maoz which is not far away. if you have money and want to it proper go to organis is orgasmic, you won't regret it.

Stevie
Stevie

Self Naturista, Barcelona

2 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2006

I didn't like this place very much at all. The vegan choices are extremely limited to say the least. Food that is heated by microwave doesn't appeal to me either. When there are so many vegetarian restaurants in Barcelona that I like I won't be eating in this place again.

Pros: None
Cons: Poor vegan choice, microwave heated

Dear Owner and Manager of Self Naturista: