Jan 2014 reported moved from Mehringdamm 47, Kreuzberg and also removed fish from its menu. Now it's fully vegetarian. Offers daily changing dishes with usually at least two vegan suitable ones. Has organic pastries, pies, and cakes; organic wine and beer; freshly squeezed orange and carrot juice; tea and espresso drinks. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Buffet, Salad bar, Middle Eastern, German, Beer/Wine, Catering

First Review by atandt
Kyttiara
Kyttiara

My fav lunch place

5 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2014

I go there very often for lunch and I'm never disappointed. The homemade fresh delicious food is so great! Healthy, big portions ( don't have the big plate unless you're actually starving), you can have either warm dishes or salad plates. Lots of vegan and gluten free options! Too bad they don't have vegan desserts...
The staff is absolutely lovely here and they take great care of your needs.
You can eat really well for 5€, there are lots of gratins, spicy vegetables in tomato sauce, aubergine Lasagna, and so many different salads!
Definitely recommend that place!

Pros: healthy, cheap, delicious
Cons: I never have enough room to eat everythi
MichaelRobinson
MichaelRobinson

Tasty & cheap

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2013

We stumbled upon this place last week, I'm not certain, so I could be wrong, but I don't think they serve meat or fish! I had a veggie burger that came with cous cous & salad for 2 euros & 50 cents! I went back a few days later to have the spring roll for the same price. They serve nice coffee too, in a nice location. A local shared our table, he had a plate full of delicious looking salad for 5 euros & he said that was the small portion! Will definitely visit again next time I'm in Berlin.

Pros: Tasty, Fast, Cheap
JonTurner2000
JonTurner2000

Seerose - Big Portion May Be Followed By A Doze!

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2013

Great choice which staff were happy to explain. Very tasty food. Portions were fantastic for the price - really top value. You can choose 2,3 or 4 things and then get some salads crammed on your plate too. Or there are other things you can choose individually.

The only small negative was that everything was crammed onto one plate - so all gets a bit mixed up. But we got over that.

Would definitely recommend and go back.

Pros: Tasty Food, Good Portions, Great Value
Cons: Everything crammed on one plate

justybin79
justybin79

Amazing value

4 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2011

We stumbled upon this vegetarian buffet whilst wandering around Berlin and what a find! There are tonnes of hot and cold buffet choices and the staff are very flexible in giving you what you like. We opted for 2 hot items and 4 salad items and they really don't try and give you small portions....the plate was piled high. Each plate cost under 8 euros, which we though was excellent value. high recommended! Not sure why this is only veg friendly, as it appeared to be completely veggie when we were there. We would have given 5 cows, but it will only allow 4 for a veg friendly restaurant!

Pros: Choice, Value, Healthy
Cons: Limited Seating
celeste
celeste

Good,easy,healthy vegetarian and vegan meals

4 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2011

Every time my husband and I visit Berlin,we end up at Seerose at least once. We have never been disappointed. I am vegan and he is vegetarian,and there is plenty to choose for both of us. Their food is always good. Simple,but good. Ordering is always a little bit confusing,because of the way the menu is written (or maybe it's just me who's confused). It states that you can get different sizes 2,3 or 4 dishes. For some reason,I always seem to think that,if you want,you can order just one or two warm dishes and them some cold dishes,as it is in many other deli-style restaurants I have been to. Instead,you can order 2,3 or 4 hot dishes and THEN you can order the cold,so,if you're not careful,you can actually end up with much more food than you had intended. Not that it matters much when paying,as the food is always surprisingly cheap.
One of the reviewers mentioned that this place regularly serves fish.Now,I have only been to this place maybe 5-7 times since 2007,but I have never seen any kind of fish anywhere,unless they keep it elsewhere and you have to just order it,and then they bring it out for you. But,at least in the display case,where you order the food,it's only ever been cheese and milk in the food.
We always like going to Seerose. we always know that we're going to get fresh,flavorful,healthy and inexpensive foods and have a lot to chose from,weather vegan or vegetarian

Pros: healthy and fresh, great value, lots of vegan options
Cons: can be a little hectic to order
Jemima
Jemima

Great value, hearty food

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2010

When you exit Merringdamm station,turn up Mehringdamm and you it's a few blocks away on the left.
There are chandeliers and great masteresque paintings in gilt frames on the walls and the tables and chairs are heavy dark wood however it has the air of a casual cafe.The upper back area was booked so we sat in the front near the counter.It seems like a popular place.We were there at around 10 pm so thankfully the front door wasn't opened too often and to the cold.
From the counter you choose three hot items and a couple of salad items.It comes with couscous.Some of the hot items included pasta bake,gnocchi,broccoli in sauce and veggie burgers.Lots of the items were packed with fresh vegetables,broccoli was liberally present.I think they use organic ingredients where possible.There seemed to be quite a lot of cream/dairy present.Watch out for the serving spoons,I noticed they were simply dropped after being used and the handles were landing in other dishes.There were lots of options on the salad side such as carrot,couscous and chickpea salads,olives etc.I had spinach lasagna,broccoli and cauliflower mix in sauce and a red bean tomato based stew with shredded cabbage and beetroot for salad. It makes a heaving plate!The hot items were heated in an oven so it was definitely hot.It was good.There are a variety of beverages including juices,organic wines,beer and tea and coffee.No soy milk.
I think the proprietors are originally Iranian.They looked pretty tired.I can understand as they have long opening hours.When we entered I motioned to the woman whether we should go upstairs,she nodded.Turned out this was off limits.It was then hard to get attention to order.Quite late I ordered a drink and they said the coffee machine was switched off but then offered to make one.They were basically knackered,nice people I guess.I think they in some way employed a couple of other clapped out looking people,one of whom stared at me throughout dinner from his vantage point of the best seat in the room,away from the front door and near the radiator.He barred it at all times by draping his jacket across it so that even when he walked out to buy a sack of rice it was bagged.I say in some way employed as it seemed to be a rather loose arrangement.As I said he stared at me throughout dinner (not doing anything else at the same time) and sporadically went out/carried things,then he hung around until he was given a bottle of beer.
Value was great at about five Euros a plate.

Pros: pretty good food & value, décor quite nice, open long hours
Cons: a little heavy on dairy & no soy milk, knackered staff, hygiene could improve a bit
je
je

nice salad, but serves fish too

2 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2009

they have a great organic salad bar. most dishes are not vegan, though. and they also regurlarly serve fish, though they call themselves "vegetarian"!

Pros: salad bar
Cons: few vegan options, FISH
kaamoskissa
kaamoskissa

Real vegetarian food with low prices

4 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2009

I was introduced to this restaurant by a friend and I was happily surprised. The food was the kind of vegetarian food you would like to serve to relatives who think being a vegan means eating only carrots and grass - and for those vegans who, for some reason, want their food to have the same taste and texture as animal-based food. In other words the buffet includes great variety (for us vegans also, I think) of tasty, well-prepared and healthy dishes (yes, it seems that healthy can also be tasty!). And not to mention inexpensive: for the 5-6 euro price you really get your stomach full, which is always a big plus. The only thing that I didn't so much like about the place is the posh interior with chandeliers and rustic furniture. So despite all the positive aspects it's not necessarily a place where I would take my friends to have a nice and relaxing meal together.

Pros: good variety, tasty, inexpensive
Cons: upper-class interior
Guest
Guest

Great variety of salads

4 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2009

Reasonable prices, many wonderful marinated vegetable, bean, and grain salads. Haven't tried any of the hot foods, since they are pre-made and just re-heated. Fairly good selection for vegans, and nice cozy dining area. Don't know why, but when I went most of the customers were speaking English!

evilduck
evilduck

Vegan Review of Seerose.

2 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2008

I am vegan and had been really interested in trying this place out.
I was disappointed really.

I visited Seerose twice just to make sure it was not just a bad day. First time no help was offered with what the vegan choices could be. Second time choices were mentioned but "not available at this time". Then I was given two choices as "this and this" which I could derive for myself as some kind of grain dish, and salad. The counter server seemed irritated that I would even ask and quickly went on to another customer, ignoring me; had I wanted to try the dish. Both times I walked out hungry and frustrated, without even wanting to order even a drink.

The menu is very ambitious when mentioning "Dabei haben wir immer mindestens zwei Gerichte für vegane Gaste auf der Tageskarte" (There are at least two meal choices for vegan guests on our daily menu")

Stylistically, and not trying to be mean; Seerose looks like a tea house that I would visit with my Grandmother. Not my kind of romantic I guess.

Staff was restrained and impatient.

I do not recommend Seerose to Vegans. Vegetarians may have a better time here.

Pros: Tea House, Cute, Local
Cons: Menu, Staff, Tea House
gisaster25
gisaster25

Delicious lunch

5 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2008

I had a huge, colourful lunch platter of cold salads in May 08. Delicious and inexpensive! Especially good: the potato salad, lentil salad, beet salad, carrot & raisin salad. The restaurant is an easy walk from Mehringdamm U-bahn and on a pleasant, tree-lined boulevard. (I'd try to live in this neighbourhood if I moved to Berlin.) It was nice eating on the sidewalk patio in good weather.

Pros: Delicious, Pleasant sidewalk patio, Large quantity
Cons: Mild disorientation finding cutlery
atandt
atandt

too much is a good thing!

4 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2007

this charming place feels like 2 different private home dining rooms attached to one another. there are about 4 tables in total, but not to worry if you don't mind making some strangers as dinner companions! the tables are for the most part very large. the atmosphere is cosy, but you have to go to the buffet counter to order. food was re-heated in mircowave. know some german before you go! bring your appetite.

Pros: impressive choice, affordable wines, generous portions
Cons: no credit cards, seating arrangement

Dear Owner and Manager of Seerose: